Anyone Recommend A Book With Cd?

bangkokburning

I am currently on a tourist visa and this has made school a bit of a mess. I can't do an ED or retirement visa till April201. The fall back plan is self study.

CAn anyone recommend a book - with a great CD, preferably a series that can take me to intermediate level. I am not interested in learning to read/write. It looks daunting and to many people complain that after years of intensive study, they cannot read a paper. I think my time is better spent put into phonetics. Yes, I know the arguments...

Anyone can comment on the quick and dirty book by Myke Hawk - I have the pdf that was created. Its great but unwieldy to make flashcards from. Printing it is B5 a page.

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand why being on a tourist visa stops you from taking classes? In the beginning it will be important to get the sounds of Thai down as well as possible and a class or better a tutor for that is pretty useful. As Todd said, reading the paper is difficult for a myriad of reasons; one of which is you need to crawl before you can walk and for that there are many books that have been translated into Thai from English; useful once you can read and have a decent working vocabulary (other than really needing a Thai to read the book out loud so you can really get the sound down right). But, of course, you are also right in that the speaking and listening portion of learning also has to be worked on. I just don't know how one can get past advanced beginner in Thai without being able to read other than total immersion. Although you may get to an advanced beginner stage faster without reading.

But, since you are already aware of this and as they say, up to you, I would still recommend Becker's books. Most of the 700 or so words per book are useful and there's a post somewhere on here that has all of them with audio clips in a PC friendly (free) program that will quiz you on them. And if you change your mind, the book does teach you the fundamentals of reading. There's also software for about 1000 baht for the first book that will quiz you on the sentences - definitely worth something but maybe not 1000 baht.

I'm not sure I understand why being on a tourist visa stops you from taking classes? In the beginning it will be important to get the sounds of Thai down as well as possible and a class or better a tutor for that is pretty useful. As Todd said, reading the paper is difficult for a myriad of reasons; one of which is you need to crawl before you can walk and for that there are many books that have been translated into Thai from English; useful once you can read and have a decent working vocabulary (other than really needing a Thai to read the book out loud so you can really get the sound down right). But, of course, you are also right in that the speaking and listening portion of learning also has to be worked on. I just don't know how one can get past advanced beginner in Thai without being able to read other than total immersion. Although you may get to an advanced beginner stage faster without reading.

But, since you are already aware of this and as they say, up to you, I would still recommend Becker's books. Most of the 700 or so words per book are useful and there's a post somewhere on here that has all of them with audio clips in a PC friendly (free) program that will quiz you on them. And if you change your mind, the book does teach you the fundamentals of reading. There's also software for about 1000 baht for the first book that will quiz you on the sentences - definitely worth something but maybe not 1000 baht.

Hi - because I always lose weeks not days as I come and go from Thailand. At a minimum of B6500 it is just not cost effective. I have a Thai girlfriend and she is helpful but I don't want the relationship to be about learning Thai. It's about us. I have spent years in Thailand for what that's worth. My tones are not bad. My biggest issue is actually not hearing the subtitles on some really difficult words. I need to build my vocab back to a minimum of where it was five years and take it to another level. Where school comes in is to help me create better sentences.

Your mention of the necessity of learning to read is noted. I think I would be quite happy with 1000 words and being able to string a sentence together but I will reevaluate. I do though need to increase my vocabulary quickly.

While Tod did mention a number of factors he struggles with a newspaper.I am sure a whole host of other periodicals, Internet sites, whatever will prove equally challenging in their own way. I don't want to spend all day on this. 1.5 hrs for study and one hour for flashcards about my max.

Thanks for you input.

Here are a few links for you to look at:

Learning Thai the Easy Way

Learn Thai language for free with 40 online Thai lessons

Thai Reader Project

FREE Thai language learning resources | Women Learning Thai... and some men too ;-)

enjoy using them, let us know which one works best for you. As I want to learn but am just

too lazy and do not really have the time at the moment, but things change.

Hello, Why won't you try online tutorial software, I can recommend a good one. With the L-Lingo’s systematic way of teaching, it was easy for me and my partner to learn Thai. It also offers a variety of Asian language tutorials that might help us in communicating and growing our business. The software really gives tips and although we really find it daunting, now we are enjoying every moment of our learning regimen. I highly recommend L-Lingo most especially to to entrepreneurs like me. Oh here's their website Language Learning Software | L-Lingo Online Application

I stumbled across a really good book about 7-8 months ago. I'd actually seen it in Kinokuniya, B2S, Asia bookstores but avoided even looking inside it simply because of the title. :(

It's called; “Everyday Thai For Beginners” by Wiworn Kesavatana-Dohrs. It goes over thai language structure, situational vocabulary, and has a c/d with exercises, drills, etc.

It's one of my favorite as far as understanding how thai sentences are structured. I'll include an example of the way the book lays out the thai language structure using the thai words ทั้ง.....และ (both...and).

1. ทั้ง.....และ (both...and)

To say, "I like both Thai food and Chinese food," or "Both my mom and dad work here" use ทั้ง.....และ in the patterns below.

S + V + ทั้ง + Object 1 + และ + Object 2

ทั้ง + Subject 1 + และ + Subject 2 + Verb Phrase

ฉันชอบทั้งอาหารไทยและอาหารจีน I like both Thai food and Chinese food.

ทั้งพ่อและแม่ทำงานที่นี่ Both my mom and dad work here.

When the subject is established, one can use ทั้งสอง instead of ทั้ง.....และ.

คุณชอบอาหารไทยหรืออาหารจีน Do you like Thai (food) or Chinese food?

ฉันชอบทั้งสอง I like them both.

พ่อแม่คุณทำงานที่ไหน Where do your parents work?

ทั้งสองทำงานที่นี่ Both work here.

While the explanations are in english as far as how the pattern works, as well as the english translations off all the sentence examples; ALL thai examples are written in thai only with NO karaoke or transliteration.

Sadly if you can't read thai, you're pretty much SOL with this book. However with that being said, even a beginning level thai reader can get something out of this book, especially if coupled with a private thai tutor or significant thai other who has the patience to go over it with you.

I still think for maximum 'bang-4-the-baht' the Benjawan Becker books w-c/d's are hard to beat. :)

Your welcome! :)

What do you mean by DTAC connection? if you don't mind.

Actually you can purchase it online, download the software and can freely use it offline if you already have downloaded it .

So there's no fuss.

Thanks for the links.I'll have a look. I can't really do online - DTAC connection.