Sunday Breakfast

thaigerd

I realy like hashbrown potatoes but could never cook them right, i learnt (from a cook) that the secret is to peel the spuds then put in cold water and bring to the boil, then grate, now i cook them how i like em, even with rice bran oil. Buckwheat pancakes are great with bacon and eggs and big dobs of butter, bratwurst are good for breakfast but the Germans think your mental frying them up with eggs and shinken and painting it red with tomatoe sauce, i'd like to be able to make a hollandaise sauce, eggs benadict or florentine, whoooaaaa, don't mind the Ol wiestwurst either, with a salzstangen mit khasee, and that fruity mustard, lambsfry and bacon, kiwi style, now thats a good breakers, mmmm had beef liver with mash for dinner, none left, bugga, food threads must be fattening , got some scollops in the freezer, righto food time.

How about this for starters ha ha

Or how about this one - brown sauce with mine please.

post-116266-067325200 1287925636_thumb.j

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^I lurrrve bacon butties...

then there was the navvy in his donkey jacket standing in a doorway by the bus stop in Derby city center in the early morning munching his plain bread rolls washed down with a pint of milk before we boarded the bus to our respective jobs...he sure did enjoy his breakfast and not an egg (nor a sausage) in sight...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I realy like hashbrown potatoes but could never cook them right, i learnt (from a cook) that the secret is to peel the spuds then put in cold water and bring to the boil, then grate,

No No No.

The secret to restaurant-style hashbrowns (at least where I come from) is to grate the raw potatoes (you can even include the skin if you like them "dirty"), and squeeze out as much water as you can. The more water the potatoes contain the more they will steam themselves and you will end up with mushy hashbrowns - or "mashbrowns" (This cannot be done with par-boiled potatoes). Just wad the raw grated spuds into your two hands and squeeeeeeeze until they stop dripping (may take several wads, depending on how many spuds you grated). Fluff them back up until loose. Add some chopped onion, if desired, and a bit of salt. Mix up well. Heat vegie oil in a pan until hot. Reduce heat to medium and then lay in an even layer of shredded potatoes (about 3/4" think). Fry without disturbing them until you can see some browning around the edges (about 10-15 minutes) -- lift up one edge slightly with a spatula to check underneath, if necessary. When golden-brown on the bottom, flip whole thing and cook the other side the same way; undisturbed, until golden brown. Perfect restaurant-style hashbrowns. Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some pretty good breakfast places near KaoSarn. My regular does 2 eggs with 3 strips of bacon toast with butter and jam, a pineapple wedge and a cup of fresh coffee for 70 baht. There's another place that does a super omelete (I can't spell). It's made up of about 5 different vegetables with some kind of meat like a pepperoni (can't remember exactly but perfect with the dish), mozzerella cheese and a muffin with jam for a hundred and five baht. No extra seasoning needed as the ingredients complement each other very well. Bon Apetit. Oh, and they've also got bagels with cream cheese. There's another place that does roast potatos with onions and bacon which is superb, and there's always a bowl of fresh fruits with yogurt and muesli available for about 50 baht. I'd tell you about the farmers omelete but I can't take it anymore. It's late and I've written enough about food which is making me hungry.

Edited by transplant

Breakfast.

Homemade biscuits, a slab of ham (98 baht) 2 fried eggs & gravy. Food that sticks to your bones. Made in my kitchen.

Eggs

Add gravy

About 3 mins in.

Yeah, that's a good hangover cure. I personally prefer the Hawaiian version called loco moco. Substitute 2 hamburger patties for the ham, and rice for the biscuits. Plate it in a bowl.

DSC00681.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_Moco

If it's an all beef patty, not the imitation type Mcdonald's does,I'm in. And no clumpy gravy either, or clumpy cold rice.