Dog Training School

Hi,

About 6 months ago I bouth a GSD to be my friend and companion. Now I have problems training him, or getting trained myself. I used to have a Golden Retriever a few years ago and training her was a breeze, she was kind of already trained at birth. Training a GSD is definitely a different story.

I'm having serious problems now as my male GSD is rather unobedient and aggressive, and gives me troubles with the neighbours and even with the village security guards because he constantly barks at people and seems to want to attack everybody walking on the street. I sent him to a dog school for two months just to have him learn some basics like walking on a leash, stop barking all the time and stop jumping on people, but my dog came back exactly the same he was when I sent him. It's like I sent him to a SPA ressort for two months; he pulls the leash all the time, nearly got my shoulder dislocated a few times when he sees a security guard on a bicycle, my girlfriend and daughter cannot walk hime because he's stronger then them, he barks every 5 minutes, and now he started to pee and poo in his cage.

This cannot go on, it's unbearable. I probably need more training than my dog, however the dog school I sent my dog didn't train me as well.

So is there a REAL dog training school in Bangkok where I can get myself and my GSD trained to live happily together and without having everybody hate us?

Thanks...

You give a very valid point, which is that you have to be involved in the training of your dog. At a dog training school they can train the dog the basic obedience commands and other tricks but they can not train him to respect the owner as being his great protector as that is what the main duty of owners is; protecting their pack from danger. If a dog does not have this feeling of protection he will instinctively try to take over this task. Most dogs are not up for such a responsibility, become insecure and will try to control their environment in an abnormal way, which can include aggressive behavior.

From the few things you've written it sounds that there lays the problem. Solving your dog's problem by forceful methods can make the situation worse, as it does not address his underlying motivation but instead adds to his insecurity and may confirm in his mind that the other object/individual is indeed very scary. Therefore, it is very important to find a school where the trainer/behaviorist first tries to find out why your dog is showing this kind of behavior. In other words, the trainer/behaviorist needs to take a case history first.

If you can't find a suitable dog trainer/behaviorist in Bangkok, you may want to consider doing a behavioral consultation with me over the net or come up to Chiang Mai with your dog where we can address the problem of your dog.

At LuckyDogs we now offer intensive intern courses for owners and dogs. The owner/s and dog will stay at a bed and breakfast where the course will be held. The owner learns the use of the clicker and to train the basic commands, about a dog's natural behavior and its development, how dogs learn and communicate, how to solve simple behavior problems and (if required) after receiving a filled-in questionnaire which will be send to the owner before the course, the specific behavioral problem(s) of the dog will be addressed.

After the course the owner will have sufficient knowledge to continue the training and behavior modification of his/her dog.

If you are interested, please, send me a pm for more details on this course.

hi

I also have one male GSD, but it is very cute boy. anyway, i can try this training center Bangnadogtraining.com - ÈÙ¹Âì½Ö¡ÊعѢ PR. Bangna

the traning center is recommeded by GSD Club Thailand. Hope you and your dog will like it.

Jacky

Thanks Jacky!

I will contact that training school because it's quite near where I live, and I'm also looking at the other replies. I will decide soon because something has to be done before a neighbour throws in a poisonned "gift" to my dog. If I get annoyed and irritated by my own dog barking I can only imagine that the neigbours feel the same if not worst.

hi

I also have one male GSD, but it is very cute boy. anyway, i can try this training center Bangnadogtraining.com - ÈÙ¹Âì½Ö¡ÊعѢ PR. Bangna

the traning center is recommeded by GSD Club Thailand. Hope you and your dog will like it.

Jacky

Thanks Jacky!

I will contact that training school because it's quite near where I live, and I'm also looking at the other replies. I will decide soon because something has to be done before a neighbour throws in a poisonned "gift" to my dog. If I get annoyed and irritated by my own dog barking I can only imagine that the neigbours feel the same if not worst.

its sounding like also u have an 8 month old 'teenager' intelligent male dog acting up on u so what u need is, as nienke points out, not just training for the dog, but 'behavior managment'... so make sure the place that is near u is more then just a sit/stay/down training place....

• 2 weeks later...

One easy point is: All the time him make problem catch him just in this time in his back and take him up!!! Not kick or hit him. But take the skin in his neck and take him up. This don't make him hurt but show him that you are the boss!!!

I've 3 GSD in my home and they are all family dogs and not for security. This every dog do normaly, take care the family. I've 2 kids an don't want a aggressive Schutzhund.

In pattaya we don't have a really dogschool same in germany (dogclub with a small monthly or yearly fee).

• 1 month later...
In pattaya we don't have a really dogschool same in germany (dogclub with a small monthly or yearly fee).

No "dog club"s that I know of, but there are certainly some dog training schools.

Johnleech,

They have training schools in Pattaya?! Can you let me know where?