Driving To Lao With A Car Bought With Financing

Hi!

I just heard that it is not possible to drive outside of Thailand with a car bought with finance. I was planning to buy a car and later go on a holiday with it to Lao, but from what I've heard they wont let you out of the country with the car. Anybody have details concerning these restrictions?

Hi!

I just heard that it is not possible to drive outside of Thailand with a car bought with finance. I was planning to buy a car and later go on a holiday with it to Lao, but from what I've heard they wont let you out of the country with the car. Anybody have details concerning these restrictions?

You need Finance companies written permission. Its more easy to obtain when loan is granted, but before transaction completed. Downpayment decides wether they will grant it, major problem is that cars insurance cover Thailand only.

Hi!

You need Finance companies written permission. Its more easy to obtain when loan is granted, but before transaction completed. Downpayment decides wether they will grant it, major problem is that cars insurance cover Thailand only.

Well.. Nothing's simple in LOS.

Luckily I haven't bought the car yet. So there might be a chance to get that permission. The insurance on the other hand is a bit worrying.

Is there a way to complement the insurance to cover outside Thailand?

Hi!

Well.. Nothing's simple in LOS.

Luckily I haven't bought the car yet. So there might be a chance to get that permission. The insurance on the other hand is a bit worrying.

Is there a way to complement the insurance to cover outside Thailand?

Not for Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar I beleive. Cars are "lost" far to often

Don't do it. You can drive to the boarder and leave your car there. I have done this and there is safe parking. Rent a car in Laos. Less hassle.

They do drive worse in Laos than in Thailand buy the way!

I was told, but could noy yet check it out, if you go to Laos via Nong Kai it was possible to obtain a temporary insurance for Laos just across the border at the Laos side.

But, I wonder, lots of trucks, buses, minivans and cars cross the border on a regular basis.

I presume they have insurance cover for Laos.

My agent told me it was possible to get cover for Laos (not Cambodia) with some Thai insurance companies.

But not all!

Thai insurance is one of them.

Don't do it. You can drive to the boarder and leave your car there. I have done this and there is safe parking. Rent a car in Laos. Less hassle.

They do drive worse in Laos than in Thailand buy the way!

yeah

in LOS at least 98% of the vehicles drive on the left side.

In Laos its 50/50B)

Most finance companies do not allow their vehicles to go to Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia. Some allow to Malaysia if insured and downpayment sufficient.

I asked the car company if they could write a permission for me to go abroad with the car. Since I don't have nor want anybody guaranteeing the loan they refused. Guess I'll just have to leave the car at the border. :)