Black Mold On Refrigerator?

travellife

I took some photos of a refrigerator seal. Is this black mold? I notice a slight green tint on some part of the mold so I was worried that it is black mold. It looks like there is grease also on the seal.

This refrigerator was at a friends apartment. The apartment didn't have any signs of mold. I told him that it looks like black mold and the refrigerator should be replaced.

I attached a photo of the seal, and I wiped the seal and took a photo of the tissue. post-77495-078737500 1277101168_thumb.jp post-77495-047057300 1277101184_thumb.jp

Thanks for the help.

I doesn't need to be replaced, take an old tooth brush and put on a mask and gently brush full strength bleach on it being careful not to splash it or let drip on anything it might ruin and let it sit, soon it will be gone and then wipe or repeat as necessary... Job done..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I doesn't need to be replaced, take an old tooth brush and put on a mask and gently brush full strength bleach on it being careful not to splash it or let drip on anything it might ruin and let it sit, soon it will be gone and then wipe or repeat as necessary... Job done..

It looked like there was mold under the seal (on the door). And I didn't look underneath the refrigerator. Do you know if this is black mold?

i would replace the roommaid(if there is one at all....)

Cleaning alone will not help, if possible, take the seal off, put it in very hot water and brush it.

If the fridge is not too old, try to get a new seal from a shop/service center

Edited by goldfinger

Is the fridge turned off with the door closed? Not good if so...!

If not in use, the door should be left open & unplugged....

White vinegar actually works better than bleach for cleaning (use with some baking soda initially, just make a bit of a paste) and brush softly with some thing like a tooth brush.

Then put some white vinegar in a spray bottle ... it's a great cleaning agent (for many things!) Spray & wipe down the whole inside of fridge.. It's also good to help prevent musky smells in closed closets!

All the major food stores sell it, in about 2 litre containers, usually in the bulk section... about, 65 baht!

White vinegar actually works better than bleach for cleaning (use with some baking soda initially, just make a bit of a paste) and brush softly with some thing like a tooth brush.

Then put some white vinegar in a spray bottle ... it's a great cleaning agent (for many things!) Spray & wipe down the whole inside of fridge.. It's also good to help prevent musky smells in closed closets!

All the major food stores sell it, in about 2 litre containers, usually in the bulk section... about, 65 baht!

Thanks for the vinegar advise. Mold spores become airborne and spread all over a room. Can vinegar be used on tile floors? I am not sure if vinegar is better than bleach in removing the spores from the floor.

I checked my bathrooom cleaner and it has Hydrochloric Acid and Linear Benzene Sulfonic Acid. That seems like too much potency for floors.

Thanks for the vinegar advise. Mold spores become airborne and spread all over a room. Can vinegar be used on tile floors? I am not sure if vinegar is better than bleach in removing the spores from the floor.

I checked my bathrooom cleaner and it has Hydrochloric Acid and Linear Benzene Sulfonic Acid. That seems like too much potency for floors.

I think if you Google "Vinegar" you'll be amazed as to what it can be used for:

Here is one link, I just got from doing that :

http://vinegartips.com/Scripts/

From what I read some where, years ago, it is more effective than bleach... as a disinfectant Plus you don't get bleach splashes on your clothes etc!

I know many restaurants in North America use it, to spray down tables... etc.

I'll let you do your own research! ;)

They have Thai vinegar & "Western Vinegar" , in all stores like Tesco, Makro, Big C.... I am not sure about the Thai Vinegar, much different smell to it.

It is 3 litre bottles ( I just checked that).