Beach Sellers A Pain In The....

Here at Chaweng Beach/Ark Bar the Beach Sellers with their Laser's, the guys with the monkeys and Iguana's and especially the little girls with the flower necklaces are an absolute pain in the neck!

Not only that the prices are highly inflated and they are very persistent to make you buy something, the flower and "play game" girls simply hang the necklace around the neck of the people and then demand money, in one occasion a couple the girl readily accepted and paid the 20 Baht... then the boy he said "Its for girls!" and that he wouldn't want one... she insisted he buys' one too... then I said: "he doesn't want one, can't you hear?" she turned to me and said "Shut up!, being aggravated she walked past and kept saying, even shouting "Shut up"! And they are kids... attended by one women who always keeps at a distance...sad, wonder why this isn't cleaned up by the authorities or by the owners, it's very annoying, people are there to relax, ha ve dinner, enjoy the evening and these sellers.. every five Minutes a new one and most of them get aggravated when told "no"!

Very strange behavior as if one must buy items from them.. :annoyed:

Relax. You should handle that after 20 years here. It's the main beach at a main tourist destination in SEA! Considering other touristic places beach vendors on Samui are rare and harmless, very easy to handle indeed.

it should be a least controled .. i was there at ark bar last for a chilled out beer and some food with the missus, but to have animals thrown at you for pictures and those lazer pens pointed at you every 4 mins does get annoying !

what I do is erect a barrier around my personal beach space. 

Level 1, big beach towels around my chair and table

Level 2, put your shoes  / sandals out near the edges

Level 3, dark sunglasses and pretend you are asleep

Level 4, MP3 player

Level 5, (only to be used in extreme circumstances or fake tattoo artists)  - erect something that looks ghostly / spiritual and hang it from the umbrella,

For added effect, when you first arrive at the beach start wandering around it aimless while shouting out loud  - it really doesn't matter what you say. Get a volleyball and paint a face on it and yell it at.

Yeah the hawkers can be a real pain in the posterior, especially around the busier parts of the beach in Chaweng. Unfortunately they will always be a part of the scenery. If one group gets caught, as they are usually illegal, another group replaces them. The staff when I've been in Ark Bar have always tried to literally shew them off if they see them, but they would be doing this all the time as they are nearly always about, and then customers would be asking why they are not getting served.

The last time I was down that way Ark Bar had a security guard on the beach who was doing his best to keep the little ones out, but it is a thankless and impossible task.

As for sunglasses and an MP3 player, have tried that many times while sunbathing all over Thailand, all they do to me then is pull at my TOES, until I acknowledge them!

My solution is real simple but illegal . It would definitely get rid of the scum. :whistling:

u can do it legally. if u fancy being a police informer. not sure which one is worse. grassing or booting them. either way i agree people come here to relax and have a good holiday. these beach sellers who wake up people when they are asleep to sell them a rage or something and the little kids selling flowers and time share people are making tourists un happy which is bad for a business tourist island.

Have't we learnt anything from Spain. If u spoil something too much it becomes spoilt. Samui is become a place for people just to come get what they can out of it then either get kicked of or leave once they are no longer wanted. Not just Forangs but Thais aswell.

it is no wonder the locals are sometimes a bit un easy with all of us.

As for those little kids if they are old enough to stay out late and work then they are old enough to hear my 2 words. thats it. then i walk off.

there are beach vendors as well on beaches with more tourist. Not so on beaches with less tourists, like every where else. So no need to go to KPG for that, stay at Thongson Bay for instance.

or Lipa-noi, both are peaceful and relaxing beaches

it should be a least controled .. i was there at ark bar last for a chilled out beer and some food with the missus, but to have animals thrown at you for pictures and those lazer pens pointed at you every 4 mins does get annoying !

:whistling:

It's real bad when the kids either say "<deleted>" or give you the finger. Why are the parents of this kids teaching them these rude manners? I get this same thing here in Phuket, so it's not limited to Samui, even after a polite Mai Ow Khrap.

It's real bad when the kids either say "<deleted>" or give you the finger. Why are the parents of this kids teaching them these rude manners? I get this same thing here in Phuket, so it's not limited to Samui, even after a polite Mai Ow Khrap.

Maybe they learned it of some of there angry customers B)

...doubt that parents told them that. It rather seems now people start to understand the meanning of imported items through learning by doing.

completely unhelpful but my solution is the seatrran to koh phan ngan. problem solved.

u mean escape to koh Phangyan or ship then to koh Phangyan and get ride of them

There used to be an old lady on Hadrin that sold fruit, don't know if she is still there or not, but my friend did a hilarious impression of her waddling up saying "watermelon" and if that didnt' work she'd say, "pineapple". If that didn't work she might try watermelon again but generally she just wandered up to the next group of people.

But no, don't ship em to Koh P. Our three beggars are enough as it is, cheers.

I don't think they even have parents. Person looking after them isn't generally the parent. Especially considering the fact that the kids don't look like eachothers siblings.

Agree with responses here.I dont mind the beach sellers,selling their food,ice creams,clothing etc,but its the children at night time,very pushy with their garlands and for 100 baht offering to thrash you at connect 4,and when you show no interest the look on their faces is one of disgust that you dare not buy from them.I t is time to clean them up,so annoying if you are out dining at a beachside table,or anywhere else for that matter.Usually find a loud mai krap will do the trick by the 3rd go.

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make an honest living selling to tourists.

That said, I took this on Chaweng Beach around Samui Coral Resort in 2007. Is it still there? Can anyone here translate?

P9221006_cropped.jpg

@ samuibeachcomber:

The foodvendors never mind, they are actually providing a service and stop after sunset... no it's those kids... and I am allergic against the lasers....

I am at Chaweng since Jan. 2007 walk the beach area from Long Beach Resort all the way up to Ko Matlang often, almost daily, never seen it!

There are occasional cops in plain Clothes and take them to the station, specially the kids, but they are back next night, I know their mother when she was a child seller..... it only needs... ah'; well, all the stuff they sell their in the nights, one can buy anywhere at the road stalls... the kids are the most annoying, even you didn't buy, they come back, again and again... pestering!

Edited by Samuian

I don't begrudge anyone trying to make an honest living selling to tourists.

That said, I took this on Chaweng Beach around Samui Coral Resort in 2007. Is it still there? Can anyone here translate?

P9221006_cropped.jpg

It says " forbidden to sell in this area"

Thanks for the photo. I'll have the same printed on my beach t-shirt, and see how it works.smile.gif