Ios 4, What Do You Like/Dont Like

HDRIDER

I have the 3Gs and can't see what all the fuss is about. I have noticed some extras with e mail and text messages and can make folders for my aps.

There must be more new things but I can't find them. Oh yes, a new thing with the photos where it tells me where I took them. That's pretty cool.

Edited by onnut

I believe its another Apple marketing campaign, to remind the world that there's (overpriced, buggy, under-featured) cell phone from Apple they should run and buy. Nothing more.

For most of us with 'old' iPhones its just bunch of very minor updates that wouldnt normaly stand for major release.

-still no multitasking. Dont get fooled by Apple calling the thing they implemented multitasking. It isnt. (If you understand the technical side of iOS\iPh, you know what I mean).

-wallpaper for desktop .. which is a joke, since everybody who wanted it already have it for 3 years thanks to jailbreak community (and with more features too!)

-folders .. same as above. Should have been there 2 years ago. Implementing them now with big fanfares is just sad.

-iBooks. Wow! .. Exept we already have like 10 apps for that on appstore ..and possibly more from Cydia

-minor update to Mail app. Normaly not work mentioning, but they have to keep talking about it because theres not really anything else there :(

-probably not fixing the many different issues different iPhone generations still have (GPS not working?,Wifi have no reception?..)

-most likety (as many times before) breaking more things in the process !

-..and instead of fixing things they are wasting time on trying to prevent jailbreaking people from doing so, because .. well Because.

For iPhone 4 theres more stuff. The whole iOS 4 is made for iPhone 4, nothing much else

-Facetime - really usable maybe after 3 years from now

-gyroscope support - what for ? ask I as iPhone software developer. You were out of ideas Steve ?

-necessary framework for making the old apps work on new iPh 4 resolution - while most likely making them work even slower on all the devices

Generaly dont install it if you dont have to - ie if its not fixing some issue for you or until everybody migrate theyr apps to it.

Dont fall for another Apple hype.

Also dont buy iPhone4 if you alrady have iPhone. It doesnt really do anything marvelous worth spending the more money, dispite fanboys and Apple screaming about it 24/7.

Do you want the next best toy ? Buy Nintendo 3DS or one of the 3d notebooks.

----

Im early adopter iPhone user and registered iPhone soft. developer for 3+ years now. Using iPhone 3GS (..with badly working, still unfixed, GPS and Wifi)

Im not iPhone hater - I still love it, but Im trying to stay reasonable facing the bullshit shower from Apple again and yes, after few years with Apple product and being Apple developer, I am an Apple hater actually.

I installed iOS4 on my iPhone 3G and I included multitasking and Home screen wallpapers. I loved it until the wimpy 3G's hardware just couldn't take it no more. I removed the Multitasking feature and now the phone runs fine.

I like:

The wallpapers

Folders

Easy to turn on/off Cellular Data Services in settings.

Functional e-mail (finally!)

Listening to music while I'm using another app.(Can't do that now since I had to disable multitasking)

Don't like:

Still no contact photos in the contact list.

Still no quick / in-app reply for sms.(Why do we have to wait for someone to make an app for that?)

Can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone 4 to check out the other features. On the 3G it's a real improvement.

Edited by prism

Hi

It must be a 3GS you have and not a 3G, right?

I was wondering about that too because I talked to a friend at work with a 3G and he has already put iOS4 on it but says it doesn't support multi-tasking, 3GS does.

From Apple site.

iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

Hi

It must be a 3GS you have and not a 3G, right?

It's only a 3G. When I ran the jailbreak for ios4, it gives you the option to include multitasking and wallpapers. You can remove these features later through the jailbreak.

Yea, I have one of the thousands of JB iPhones roaming around Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

some things I like [whether or not they should have been on there before is not an issue, they are there now]

large [ up to 56 pt ] type you can now access

folders can put several apps together

better spelling check

can have black background with white type for great viewing. the only problem is the photos are not good then

zoom on the camera

email a bit better but I use the mobile gmail so it doesnt matter

multi-tasking [not great but better than none]

Edited by Lost in LOS

• 3 weeks later...

I have i phone 3gs from truemove,I vowed i would never buy an i phone but something made me want one eventually,I recently upgraded it to operating system 4.0,

Generally for a phone that costs so much i think in many ways it sucks,For one bluetooth is still crap,and while a cheap 2000 baht phone recognises it within seconds the i phone wont pair up to it,and when searching for devices it doesnt seem to find them,Text/sms has no delivery reports (not that i can see)where as a cheap phone has,Email was fine before and the new email upgrade just seems more of a clutter now.Also twice ive had to turn it off and on again as it didnt get an email all day twice when i had emails on my pc already.Settings for many apps are very basic and poor options,I cant complain about the video quality i find that excellent and it plays youtube very well with a strong wifi connection.Before this i had a nokia E71 and functionaly i found that a much nicer phone in many ways but couldnt cope with the awfully small keyboard,and small screen display,its a real shame because i'm sure with very little effort this phone could easily be the leader of the pack,Theres plenty more down sides i could go on about with this phone but it would take me a day to write about them all.As regards to buying the i phone 4,no thanks i think i will use this till its dead then think again..

• 4 weeks later...

I like the new email app - much more refined with unified inbox and grouping emails by thread in a way that's elegant and efficient.

Multi-Tasking - I didn't need it before, and I don't need it now - however it will eventually allow much more interesting apps than what we had in the past. Why anyone would think this of a "problem" on iOS I have no idea. It's mostly useless.

But the reason I am writing this is that I have one huge problem with iOS4 (on a 3GS): Battery life sucks now. On 3.1.3, I got between 2 - 5 days out of a charge, depending on usage. Which was fine. Most days I'd go 3-4 days between charges. On iOS4, I get one day - in the evening the battery is down to 10%. That's not acceptable. I have tried a few settings, turned off notifications. I am now trying to shut down background apps. I imagine maybe the jailbreak apps I have are misbehaving?! In any case battery life is horrendous. Thinking about going back to 3.1.3. I am trying to narrow it down to some jailbreaks apps first though.

Hi

Tell me about it, i have allways been saying battery life suck, now on my 3gs and with ios4 my God its bad, and i need my mails all the time, i have chharger in car at home and even have a travel charger from lifetrons, and i use them all, bad bad bad

Based on other forums it seems to be fairly wide spread. Did find this article > How to troubleshoot iOS4 battery life problems

Another article

Members on one forum indicate they have had some luck improving the life by recalibrating the battery. Essentially they let the battery drain down to 5% or even completely and then recharge to full.

Thanks for that link, I'll check it out.

I've always had good or very good battery life with the 3GS. As long as notifications were off, and automatic email checking disabled, it was brilliant. But with iOS4... ugh. It's very bad.

One cool thing I noticed though, and which also kind of explains things a bit: Notes (from the notes app) now sync with my mail account. This happens over the air, without me connecting the USB or anything. Cool. But undoubtedly uses the battery ;)

From the tips page - they say to delete all me.com accounts and so on? Hmmm... don't want to delete these though... they were fine under 3.1.3?!

Edited by nikster