Iphone 4G Coming Soon..

SoMeOnEnUlL

I was browsing the internet and saw the ads. The 4G IPhone is coming to TRUE. You can subscribe at the following website for the update information.

TRUEMOVE CO.,LTD.

I wonder what the price would be. One thing I don't understand about the mobile service in Thailand is that people have to pay a large sum of money to get the phone with package, while the whole world is paying ridiculously cheap. Is that something to do with less competition here? Or, service providers monopolizing the market with one type of phone, I don't know. I am not a fan of IPhone or BB, anyways. I wish they had Nexus One with package, though.

• Like 1

They can't get 3G straighten out. Why would you want to wast money on 4G?

Misunderstandings abound...

First, it's called the "iPhone 4", not the 4G iPhone. That's because it's not 4G, it's just the 4th iteration of iPhone to come out.

Second, it's running on 3G. I am pretty happy with True 3G in Chiang Mai, but YMMV.

I wonder what the price would be. One thing I don't understand about the mobile service in Thailand is that people have to pay a large sum of money to get the phone with package, while the whole world is paying ridiculously cheap. Is that something to do with less competition here? Or, service providers monopolizing the market with one type of phone, I don't know. I am not a fan of IPhone or BB, anyways. I wish they had Nexus One with package, though.

Let me explain it to you then: Thailand is a lot cheaper.

All over the world, people are locked into a subsidy system. You pay next to nothing for a phone. Then you have a very high monthly fee (example $70 is the minimum in the USA with a data plan). The trick that tricked you and many others is this: If you don't get a subsidized phone, you pay the very same very high monthly fee! So, you lose! This makes it appear as if the phone was nearly free, whereas in reality you pay through the nose for it. The operators don't offer low monthly plans if you bring your own phone - they could, but then their subsidy scheme wouldn't look nearly as good.

In Thailand, you have a very low montly rate ($18 for unlimited data + 300 minutes + 300 SMS - try that in the USA, or in Europe for that matter). And you pay full price for the phone.

If you buy the phone at True, you don't have to sign up for their plan. You can just buy the phone and stick any SIM you like in it. A prepaid from AIS... anything. If you do sign up, you can cancel at any time.

If you happen to like the subsidy model, True makes this explicit - they allow you to pay for your phone in installments over 24 months.

So all in all you get much better deals over here than in Europe, and without the sleight of hand. For some reason people fall for it all the time. When a car manufacturer tells you you can have a car for next to nothing, but you have to enter into a service agreement where you pay $1000 / month, you wouldn't think it's a free car. You'd think its a loan. With phones, it's different. Packaging, and clever marketing have convinced westeners that they're getting a great deal.

I did the math once, BTW. With the True plan you get some things over the U.S. plans: An unlocked phone. Unlimited data. But get this - over 2 years including the phone plan you pay $1200 in Thailand (total). In the USA you pay close to $2000 total. Which one is the better deal?

Is that clear enough?

Edited by nikster

Right! It's IPhone 4, my mistake. I didn't even look up the website I posted. :D

And, thank you for a very lengthy explanation. In fact, I do know how planned phone work. But, I must admit I've never calculated that way. So, I am calculating it now. ( I think it wouldn't be fair to compare the price here with US/Europe. You would of course pay more than what you pay here. Things are cheap in Thailand. We all know that. ;))

Here is the price plan from Singapore singtel :

http://info.singtel....e-phones/iphone

And, here is with TRUE :

TrueMove : iPhone 3GS

With TRUE (IPhone 3GS 32GB):

IPack Package : 300mins, 300SMS, 90MMS, 1GB data (monthly price(24month)) (699*24) = 16776 THB

Phone Price : Unlock one = 28500 THB

Total : 45276 THB

With singtel (IPhone 3GS 32GB):

iFlexi Lite : 100mins, 300SMS, 200MMS, 12GB data (monthly price(24month) + phone price) (39*24)(658) = 1594.00S$

Additional 200min (16.05 cent per minute) (200* 0.1605) = 32.10S$

Total : 1626.10S$

The exchange rate at Bangkok Bank says : 1 S$ = 23Baht

http://www.bangkokba...s/FX_Rates.aspx

So, conclusion : 45276/23 = 1968.521739130435 S$

It seems to me that it is not so cheap in Thailand compare to Singapore. I hope there are no hidden cost that I left out in the calculation. Let me know if you see. :)

Hmm... I see you didn't select the $0 phone for SingTel, will have to check this out again. dam_n - if you do select the $0 phone though you pay $204 / month at SingTel!!

Also you only get 100 minutes. For 200 minutes it's $55, 500 is $95. they don't have 300 minutes. No unlimited data though at 12GB that probably really doesn't matter...

I pay 599/month, not 699... so Thai price in SGD = (599 x 24 + 28,500) /23 = 1,864 SGD

SingTel for the 200 minutes plan... SGD 1,978 - higher than the Thai price. Singapore is very cheap for an iPhone + plan. So is Thailand. USA or Europe don't compare.

Nevermind Singtel, the point I was trying to make is that if you get the phone for free and pay monthly, you get fleeced. This is the only option in America, and Americans then come here and wonder why "phones are so expenive" not realizing that they're a lot cheaper over here.

SingTel has a good example of that actually - you can get the 3GS 32GB for "free" - if you choose the $204/month plan. So you end up paying over SGD 4800 over 2 years. Yeah you get lots of data and calling too... but 4800??

post-20814-084892200 1277382795_thumb.pn

Edited by nikster

Yes. I didn't select the 0$ plan because if I am going to subscribe at singtel I would choose the 39S$ plan. And, also, since it only gives me 100mins, I added additional 200mins at 16.05 cent per min because I want to compare with TURE 300mins plan.

Anyways, I get your point. I wasn't arguing or anything. I just think they can make it cheaper. :)