Best Streetfood In Bangkok

MrHammer

I posted this in the general, cause the Bangkok forum is too slow..

I like the Chinese restaurant near Thong Lor BTS station, equal number side, forgot which side. It is open from early lunch to evening and serves a bunch of traditional Thai 'cheepo' food including noodles and the roasted pork, but I go there to eat the duck with rice and sauce. Very tasty. The shop has plastic tables and pink napkins, and the owner is very friendly. Customers is a mix of Thais on lunch, Chinese-Thais and backpackers from the nearby hostel.

Another good place to pickup some tasty food for no money is the walk down Sukhumvit Soi 77, On Nut, where you can get everything you desire. There's a particularly good fried chicken near Carrefour and a Som-Tam stand just near it. There's also fresh food for desert, small cucumbers, nuts and sticky rice with banana and coconut. All in all you can pick up a delicious healthy meal with meat, rice, salad, fruit and desert for around 100-150 baht.

That has to be something I miss the most about living in Thailand.

Let's hear your favorite spots!

Edited by MrHammer
  • Like 2

I wouldn't touch the street food under any circumstances whatsoever.

Some people need to go native and eat rat-urine marinated moo yang.

Gets it extra tangy. No need for the namtuk moo version.

Pizza Place in Seacon (not Pizza Hut) , any Mc Donalds in any country anywhere, Thai food is vile gristly ole "meat" if you can call it that, fried rice and usually a month old cooking oil, yeah street carts great arent they :rolleyes:

You do get to eat off plates that have been licked clean by 3 foot long rats though.

555555 that gives it that special flavor, but let's cut the crab....Thai food is great on the street I love soi 38 (try the SomTam with the raw blue crab as a starter and a big ice cold Heineken, Bang Kapi area is great, just make sure they are a bit busy. Your stomach will get used to the rat saliva.

Great idea for a thread Mr Hammer, I am going to try both of your fav places mate, and I will report back eventually. If I am still alive.............but as long as I don't get knocked over

crossing the road to get to Macdonalds I will die a happy man. blink.gif Think about it..................oh never mind pmsl.

My best street food spots are:

• Near Ratchathewi BTS, just past Asia Hotel heading towards Siam. Some of the best Isaan food around.
  • Also some great Somtam can be had on Surawong Road, near the entrance to Patpong Soi 2, and right outside a bar that does mock Thai boxing shows.
  • Entrance of Sukhumvit soi 38.
  • Opposite the entrance to On Nut soi 44, best yam wun sen in Bangkok.
  • Seafood stand on the corner of Soi Ari and Soi Ari 1, best tom yam in Bangkok.
  • Many places in Petchaburi soi 5

theres a place called "singapore" near enough on the corner of pratunam junction with the road that the old WTC is on(forget the name) opposite the big pink shopping mall(again forget the name)petchaburi side

anyway the foods great and cheap.

always order about five or six dishes between myself and the wife.

rice, kai chieuw(egg omelette)

hoi lai nam pat pick pow(claims is a basil curry sauce)

moo whaan(sweet thinly sliced pork)

khana moo crop(crispy pork in soi sauce with thai khale)

blah sam lot(seabass in three chillies, sweet and spicy)

geang ba/nuea( jungle curry)

pet palou(thai roasted duck served with dipping sauce, thai parsley and pickled ginger)

hoi meng poo(sea mussels in a thai both broth of, limes leaves, lemon grass and thai basil)

cost about 400 baht including water, soda water and ice for the whiskey that you can buy from a local store, no corkage charge.

Edited by tigerfish

You do get to eat off plates that have been licked clean by 3 foot long rats though.

555555 that gives it that special flavor, but let's cut the crab....Thai food is great on the street I love soi 38 (try the SomTam with the raw blue crab as a starter and a big ice cold Heineken, Bang Kapi area is great, just make sure they are a bit busy. Your stomach will get used to the rat saliva.

1630675_12683790644640.jpg

1630675_12683790649867.jpg

i love soi 38, but then I live at that hostel OP mentioned whenever I'm in town.

some guy actually got write up from food contest wins on front of his stand. The walk in sit down places seem best.

That looks like Phat Thai (first photo) and Kwitiow Lowd. Yum!

i love soi 38, but then I live at that hostel OP mentioned whenever I'm in town.

some guy actually got write up from food contest wins on front of his stand. The walk in sit down places seem best.

Hello, I like the BBQ carts that put a few pieces of beef , pork, or chicken on a skewer with a chunk of pineapple and a chunk of chile. It has a high protein content with low fat and carbs, and the BBQ rack should kill most of the bad organisms. The eggburgers at the entrance to the Nana entertainment complex are wonderful, and they are sold from a BBQ grill cart close to the street. Cheers, Dale

If you don't eat the street food in Thailand you are missing out on most of the charm and best food this country has to offer IMO!

I've never had serious food poisoning here and I eat from various stalls most days of the week...

I also recommend Sukhumvit soi 38, there is some fantastic moo satay there, the kway teow nuea is also good from the shop next to the moo satay place (across the driveway on the same side).

I also like the guy there who does yellow noodle soup with wontons, crab meat and moo daeng. Sumptuous! (I think it's the place mentioned earlier with the awards on it's booth window)

For something different in the same soi the Japanese place there is really good and cheaper than comparable eateries in BKK like Yayoi, Fuji, etc. The tonkatsu curry is great from there and good value at 125 baht. 

The khao neaw met ma muang (mango + sticky rice) is incredible for a dessert option as well, the stall in the little side alley right at the start of the soi is the best one out of the two who sell it in the soi.

The best kway teow (seh lek moo etc.) I reckon is the last stall outside Bangkok Bank next to the Hualamphong BTS station, I used to eat this regularly on my commute home from work.

Finally for one of the cheapest meals I've found in this city, across from Central Pinklao adjacent to The Brain building there's a stall that sells a huge variety of curries and Thai dishes out of a collection of big metal pots which are periodically reheated so it's not like they are sitting there rotting all day. A bowl of rice topped with curries of your choice sets you back a measly 20 baht! You can get freshly fried egg on top as well for an extra 5 baht.

Edited by Glock3am

• 3 weeks later...

That looks like Phat Thai (first photo) and Kwitiow Lowd. Yum!

actually - first image is 'pad see ew' and second one is 'fresh spring rolls' (chinese style rather than Vietnamese style)

in terms of street food, Im surprised no one has mentioned Silom and Convent road?

Another one is in Rachawat road (somewhat out of the way from the major expats area I suppose. its in the old part of town)

Rama 4 Road, near Sam Yaan

ChinaTown

The street off Democracy Monument going towards the Bangkok Metropolitan Office (not far from Khao Sarn, but going in the opposite direction)

My best street food spots are:

• Near Ratchathewi BTS, just past Asia Hotel heading towards Siam. Some of the best Isaan food around.
  • Also some great Somtam can be had on Surawong Road, near the entrance to Patpong Soi 2, and right outside a bar that does mock Thai boxing shows.
  • Entrance of Sukhumvit soi 38.
  • Opposite the entrance to On Nut soi 44, best yam wun sen in Bangkok.
  • Seafood stand on the corner of Soi Ari and Soi Ari 1, best tom yam in Bangkok.
  • Many places in Petchaburi soi 5

--------------------------------

Entrance of Sukhumvit Soi 38.

Agree. Used to live on Soi 38. That place was always packed with new expensive cars of rich Thais eating there every night at the food carts.

---------------------------------