Uk Settlement Visa Questions

Hi,

I'm filling out forms for my wife and stepson at the moment and have a couple of questions I'd appreciate some opinions on.

First one is Online or Paper ? I know the vfs-uk-th website says "although settlement and Tier 4 applications and their dependants should complete an online application" however whenever I follow the online link and check the list of supported countries Thailand isn't one of them. On the other hand I read of many people using this forum that are using online.... am I missing something, perhaps a missing link ? (feeble attempt at humour)

A fairly fundamental question is. Am I my stepsons sponsor? I have always assumed I was but there are some phrases on the application form that have me doubting this.

Again for my stepsons application..... 7.5, please provide details of the person you will be staying with... Is that me alone?

Again for my stepsons application..... 7.7, How long will you stay with this person.... He's 7 years old, how on earth are you supposed to answer that ?

For both... 8.7.13, how much of your sponsors income is given to their family members and other dependants.... Does that include my wife and stepson ?

I'm quite sure there will be more but these are bugging me right now.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Yes, you are your wife and your stepsons sponsor. Presumably you will be putting both applications in at the same time. They will see this from the two applications and will should deal with them together, so put down your details. Her application will say she is staying with you, so they can see they are both a family applying for settlement. For the length of time, just put indefinitely, or if you want to put a figure in years, calculate how many years until he is 18 and put that down, i.e. 11 years +. They will understand that he is a child and will be staying with you, remember these forms are for a very wide variety of applicants, so some of the questions may sound stupid to your application, but may be pertinant to others'.

8.7.13? Do you mean 8.7.14? Make sure you have the latest version of the form. 8.7.14 is trying to see if you have other dependants that you are paying for, i.e. an ex-wife, children by another woman etc. This doesn't include money you give to your wife or stepson, if it did, it would make this clear, by saying something along the lines,

How much of your sponsor’s total monthly income is given to you and their other family members and other dependants?

It is trying to work out how much to remove from your income when calculating whether you can reasonably support them on your finances without resorting to public funds. Remember my point above, some people filling this in will have finacial obligations to other people that you probably don't.