Propane Gas Used For Burners?

ThaisGood

Hi. I wonder if the various vendors in Thailand use propane in their gas tanks. I think it's propane. Is it? I've attached a photo of a burner thing I got in Thailand. Can I attach that to a regular propane tank for my barbeque setup, which I have in USA? Because the propane tanks here are of a universal standard, and I think it should work just fine. Any concerns? Thanks for any advice.

post-70532-091641100 1277423860_thumb.jp

Yes you will be able to use the burner with the tanks in the US.But you will have to change the pressure regulator.As you can see in the attached photo the US has changed the type of thread on the regulator to one that is only used in the US.

post-14263-094962000 1277926514_thumb.jp

Edited by blue eyes

Thank you Blue Eyes for the response. It's very useful. If you have any other advice about this please let me know. I'll tinker with the fitting too. The main thing I wanted to make sure of, is that the fuel itself is propane. Thanks again.

The interesting thing here is that you can screw the regulator that is on it into the tank.But i am not sure that you will want to.If you look close to my photo you can see that it is threaded to do that.But it is the regulator that you have that I am not sure about.Yes propane will work with it no problem.This I know becuse I know some Thai pepole that use it but the regulator is different.

Hi Blue Eyes,

Thanks for your note. I'm still a bit confused about this but I haven't yet tried to fit my burner onto a propane tank, so it would help if I get to that point before posting further. But I'll extend the conversation a bit more...

Notice that this guy, India Joze (I don't know anything about this other than finding the website). He has a restaurant and sells some wok equipment. His stuff is made in China but appears to use the same fittings as what I have from Thailand, and his hardware does not use the large black plastic fitting that your photo shows. He just has the Thai setup, I think. Isn't this what I have? His hoses and clamps don't look terribly safe, but I'm not sure how much pressure is involved, or how dangerous propane would be if a hose leaked or became unattached.

http://www.indiajoze.com/equipment.html

By the way, when my mother-in-law in Thailand has a can of cooking gas delivered, is that gas exactly the same compound as propane sold in USA? I just wanted to make sure the gas is the same, before I fire this thing up. I can't imagine why it would be a problem... Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

ThaisGood,Yes you can use the one in your photo.I was at the Wat the other day and saw the exact same burner except it was silver and the regulator was red.I did not have my camera with me so no photo for you.The following photos are of other "Thai" burners in use in the USA using the same propan tanks that is used on the BBQ's in the USA.

post-14263-080535000 1280092341_thumb.jp

post-14263-039572900 1280092353_thumb.jp

post-14263-030821300 1280092370_thumb.jp