Moving To Korat, Any Positive Advice From Foreigners Living In Korat

Colabamumbai

Moving from Bangkok to Korat. Would like to here from other foreigners living there. Are there Immigration offices there? What is the Amphur like for getting married? Life in general. Have visited many times but visiting a place and living there are two different things.

The Immigration office is now in Chok Chai but rumoured to be moving again .. I have never had a problem there but some who go with an "attitude" do have problems with them.

I got married in Korat with no problem other than usual Thai bureaucracy.

The local farang community seems to be a bunch of beer drinking Europeans who complain about Korat but I enjoy the city and the local people and for the most part ave found nothing in common with most farangs BUT there are a few great farangs ...

I like Korat and the cost of living is great. Always lots of activities at the Mall and at Yamo

Bob -- Canadian in Korat

The Immigration office is now in Chok Chai but rumoured to be moving again .. I have never had a problem there but some who go with an "attitude" do have problems with them.

I got married in Korat with no problem other than usual Thai bureaucracy.

The local farang community seems to be a bunch of beer drinking Europeans who complain about Korat but I enjoy the city and the local people and for the most part ave found nothing in common with most farangs BUT there are a few great farangs ...

I like Korat and the cost of living is great. Always lots of activities at the Mall and at Yamo

Bob -- Canadian in Korat

Thanks Bob Alex Canadian

OP you are correct there is a world of difference between visiting and living in a place. I lived in Korat for 8 months in 2003 but decided it was not a place I wanted to live out my life so moved to Bangkok.

You have a good selection of shopping places but I found and still find the choices for eating western foods out still lacking.

If you are making the move to make your future spouse happy then think again. This is Thailand and you are the one she should be trying to make happy and if that means remaining in Bangkok that is what should happen.

I think you should respond to this question and you might get better feedback. What type of life style do you want to live?

If you decide to make the move rent for year before building or buying a house. During that year if you find it necessary to make monthly trips to Bangkok or Pattaya to make you happy then its not the place for you.

<br>OP you are correct there is a world of difference between visiting and living in a place.  I lived in Korat for 8 months in 2003 but decided it was not a place I wanted to live out my life so moved to Bangkok.<br><br>You have a good selection of shopping places but I found and still find the choices for eating western foods out still lacking.<br><br>If you are making the move to make your future spouse happy then think again.  This is Thailand and you are the one she should be trying to make happy and if that means remaining in Bangkok that is what should happen.<br><br>I think you should respond to this question and you might get better  feedback.  What type of life style do you want to live?<br><br>If you decide to make the move rent for year before building or buying a house.  During that year if you find it necessary to make monthly trips to Bangkok or Pattaya to make you happy  then its not the place for you.<br>
<br><br>Thanks I'm 59  not interested in the night life in Bangkok or Pattaya, I spent time here 35 years ago. I live alone, the future wife has a nice house 2 bedroom just outside town 15 minutes by Sontow or motorcycle. She works and pays the bank 5000 bhat a month for the next 16 years. She has a 10 year old daughter at home. I would be able to do my own cooking which I cannot do now in my apartment here, I would pay her monthly bank mortgage and help out taking daughter to school and picking her up etc etc. Teaching her more English etc.  I would like to be part of a family.   I spent the last 6 years living alone running a business in Mexico after caring for an aging mother for 15 years until she died at 90 and raising a daughter in Canada.<br><br>The rent and electricity I pay  here nearly 8,000 bhat monthly would be better spent paying her house off and I would not be running back and forth so much.<br><br>I want a family I would feel that my life would have more purpose, it is a quieter lifestyle, I would have a garden and be away from the hustle of Bangkok, although I would be returning a few days a week for part time work at the present time. There is a huge Olympic size pool and recreation centre 10 minutes from her house. Her daughter and I swim there on weekends.<br><br>She also has no use for Bangkok and if we wanted a change we could always come back for a night if she could get time off work. We will live together for a while and see if marriage is in the works.<br><br>After meeting and dating many women over the past 6 months she is one of a very few that is interested to marry me, she is not interested in sin sod and her mother told her that the decision is up to her she is 42. We are always happy when we are together, birthdays 2 days apart 2 scorpios. She speaks and understands enough English and with my 100 hours at thai school I can speak enough thai.  She is a hard working lady and her daughter is tops in the class.<br><br>I really appreciate the time that you took to respond and the questions that you raised. I think I am doing the right thing, but it is never to late to change the road that I am on.<br>Thank you for a positive well written post.<br><br><br>

Fair play mate.

I lived in Korat for about 6 months last year ( my wifes home town ) and have been coming since 2002 when we got married.

We have a house there, the only reason I had to move away is due to having more favourable opportunities regarding an income. We have two very young girls and I feel that I may be able to put my feet up when I am in my mid 60's. I am 20 years off that now.

Korat will be the place I do this ( up to now) , I like the place and the surrounding areas, especially the hills of Pak Chong and Kao Yai. Korat has a lot ot offer as far as having everything at your finger tips and its is an ok place to live. I would try to avoid having to live too close to the centre as its a bit, well, busy. But that's only my feeling.

Bangkok is only a few hours away on the bus if you need to go there.

There is a far greater choice of eating places now then there was 7 years ago. I have made some good friends there, Thai and Farang, and look forward to our trips home when we get the chance. My wifes family are great and we always have a good time when we get together.

Had good experiences at the Immigration there, driving test was fun also.

Cheers

<br>OP you are correct there is a world of difference between visiting and living in a place.  I lived in Korat for 8 months in 2003 but decided it was not a place I wanted to live out my life so moved to Bangkok.<br><br>You have a good selection of shopping places but I found and still find the choices for eating western foods out still lacking.<br><br>If you are making the move to make your future spouse happy then think again.  This is Thailand and you are the one she should be trying to make happy and if that means remaining in Bangkok that is what should happen.<br><br>I think you should respond to this question and you might get better  feedback.  What type of life style do you want to live?<br><br>If you decide to make the move rent for year before building or buying a house.  During that year if you find it necessary to make monthly trips to Bangkok or Pattaya to make you happy  then its not the place for you.<br>
<br><br>Thanks I'm 59  not interested in the night life in Bangkok or Pattaya, I spent time here 35 years ago. I live alone, the future wife has a nice house 2 bedroom just outside town 15 minutes by Sontow or motorcycle. She works and pays the bank 5000 bhat a month for the next 16 years. She has a 10 year old daughter at home. I would be able to do my own cooking which I cannot do now in my apartment here, I would pay her monthly bank mortgage and help out taking daughter to school and picking her up etc etc. Teaching her more English etc.  I would like to be part of a family.   I spent the last 6 years living alone running a business in Mexico after caring for an aging mother for 15 years until she died at 90 and raising a daughter in Canada.<br><br>The rent and electricity I pay  here nearly 8,000 bhat monthly would be better spent paying her house off and I would not be running back and forth so much.<br><br>I want a family I would feel that my life would have more purpose, it is a quieter lifestyle, I would have a garden and be away from the hustle of Bangkok, although I would be returning a few days a week for part time work at the present time. There is a huge Olympic size pool and recreation centre 10 minutes from her house. Her daughter and I swim there on weekends.<br><br>She also has no use for Bangkok and if we wanted a change we could always come back for a night if she could get time off work. We will live together for a while and see if marriage is in the works.<br><br>After meeting and dating many women over the past 6 months she is one of a very few that is interested to marry me, she is not interested in sin sod and her mother told her that the decision is up to her she is 42. We are always happy when we are together, birthdays 2 days apart 2 scorpios. She speaks and understands enough English and with my 100 hours at thai school I can speak enough thai.  She is a hard working lady and her daughter is tops in the class.<br><br>I really appreciate the time that you took to respond and the questions that you raised. I think I am doing the right thing, but it is never to late to change the road that I am on.<br>Thank you for a positive well written post.<br><br><br>

Go for it, life is to short and it sounds like this lady makes you happy

Fair play mate.

I lived in Korat for about 6 months last year ( my wifes home town ) and have been coming since 2002 when we got married.

We have a house there, the only reason I had to move away is due to having more favourable opportunities regarding an income. We have two very young girls and I feel that I may be able to put my feet up when I am in my mid 60's. I am 20 years off that now.

Korat will be the place I do this ( up to now) , I like the place and the surrounding areas, especially the hills of Pak Chong and Kao Yai. Korat has a lot ot offer as far as having everything at your finger tips and its is an ok place to live. I would try to avoid having to live too close to the centre as its a bit, well, busy. But that's only my feeling.

Bangkok is only a few hours away on the bus if you need to go there.

There is a far greater choice of eating places now then there was 7 years ago. I have made some good friends there, Thai and Farang, and look forward to our trips home when we get the chance. My wifes family are great and we always have a good time when we get together.

Had good experiences at the Immigration there, driving test was fun also.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing you positive experience and comments about Korat.

There are many upcoming developments in khao Yai/pakching which is 1hr away so those that miss seriuous western food can probably hop over for a nice dinner. Really happy for those who have opt out of the pattaya/Bangkok scene and enjoying peace/purpose in korat.

There are many upcoming developments in khao Yai/pakchong which is 1hr away so those that miss seriuous western food can probably hop over for a nice dinner. Really happy for those who have opt out of the pattaya/Bangkok scene and enjoying peace/purpose in korat.

I moved from Pattaya to Korat about 3 years ago and love it up here. There are more and more expats moving to this area and many new farang restaurants opening. I am an American vet and we have 120 members in the VFW Post and about half live up here.

You should check out the koratfarang.com forum. Alot of good stuff there about Korat.

There are many upcoming developments in khao Yai/pakching which is 1hr away so those that miss seriuous western food can probably hop over for a nice dinner. Really happy for those who have opt out of the pattaya/Bangkok scene and enjoying peace/purpose in korat.

Got news for you,

One can live a lovely and peaceful life in Pattaya,and i am sure you can do the same in Bangkok or Phuket.

Are you a follower or a leader,that will answer your question.There is a night life in Korat too,plenty of students up for some fun too.I have peace in Pattaya and a purpose,to enjoy my life with gf and stepson and stay as healthy as i possibly can,you see,i am a leader

Got news for you,

One can live a lovely and peaceful life in Pattaya,and i am sure you can do the same in Bangkok or Phuket.

Are you a follower or a leader,that will answer your question.There is a night life in Korat too,plenty of students up for some fun too.I have peace in Pattaya and a purpose,to enjoy my life with gf and stepson and stay as healthy as i possibly can,you see,i am a leader

I am a leader As the name Alexander is "leader of men" The wife to be has a nice 2 bedroom house near the University of Technology just outside of Korat proper, Its like being in the country side, met the daughters teacher yesterday so they will know me when I take her and pick her up from school, being riding her motorbike around to get to know the area and taking the dog for a walk, they never bothered to. Picked up my permission to marry from the MFA here today and am very excited after having lived on my own. The fiancee just told me she is behind in mortgage payments to the tune of 56,000 bhat, so I said after we marry next week I will look after the bank and we can call that sin sod. After that the monthly mortgage is 4,900. I spent a lot of time in Thailand 35 years ago near the end of the Vietnam war and fell in live with it then. I like the quieter side of life at 59 now, spent 10 years in the far east in the 70's and the last 6 years in Mexico, have lived on my own for far too long, divorced 20 years. I have a lot to offer any woman or their children besides ,a world of experience, Im peaceful may have a beer or two a day and thats about it. Everything in moderation including moderation. It feels nice to be loved, to have some one to eat with and talk with, she shines my shoes and irons my clothes and sees that I am fed, She likes me to dress well and I do normally anyway. I do not miss western food I eat Thai food everyday, sometimes I will buy fries if close to MacD's, but do not eat fast foreign food.

Thanks for all the positive postings.

I moved from Pattaya to Korat about 3 years ago and love it up here. There are more and more expats moving to this area and many new farang restaurants opening. I am an American vet and we have 120 members in the VFW Post and about half live up here.

You should check out the koratfarang.com forum. Alot of good stuff there about Korat.

Thanks for the Korat forum info. I am looking forward to meeting other foreigners there who I am sure will enlighten me about Korat.

I am also moving to Korat ,me and my wife bought a house there 5 yrs ago,we are finally moving there in sept,i am 34 and would like to know of any good social bars as i enjoy a drink and watching football.i also done some fishing in korat a few yrs ago which i enjoy,but i need to get to know the expats if im gonna settle down ther for good.i lived in phuket for 8yrs,and want a less hectic lifestle now...

I am also moving to Korat ,me and my wife bought a house there 5 yrs ago,we are finally moving there in sept,i am 34 and would like to know of any good social bars as i enjoy a drink and watching football.i also done some fishing in korat a few yrs ago which i enjoy,but i need to get to know the expats if im gonna settle down ther for good.i lived in phuket for 8yrs,and want a less hectic lifestle now...

If you want info on Korat this is the place to go.

http://koratfarang.com/board/index.php

• 1 month later...

I think you will find that you are following a well-trodden path.

You may note on the Isaan Forum (page 2 today) that there is a topic: Bored in Sakon... Some of the gents in Isaan have all sorts of things to keep themselves engaged and some are bored out their wits and cannot wait each day to get to the nearest bah-farang ... it is all up to you.

Thanks for the Korat forum info. I am looking forward to meeting other foreigners there who I am sure will enlighten me about Korat.

Colabamumbai

You have obviously made your mine up what you want to do..... and good luck to you and hope you have a happy future.... one bit of advice... pay the "bills" ok, but DON'T give your wife access to your bank accounts.

Give her CASH but no CREDITCARD.

cheers...............luap