'Notary' Service

Hello,

I need to get about 4-5 pages with my signature on them notarized for a pension application in the US (the Thailand equivalent of a Notary is OK in this case). I live in Ratchaburi Province and will probably be going by public van, etc. to the US Embassy on Monday on other business.

Can anyone offer suggestions on the simplest and most economical way to get this done, including possibly the specific name of someone in Ratchaburi Province that can do it. (Not "just go to any law firm").

Thanks,

Tom

This is the area of rip-off the Farang big time.

I have been quoted up to 3,500 Baht for ONE sheet and ONE signature., needless to say I just turned around and walked out.

I suggest

1. Your local bank manager, who will possibly do this for free.

2. The US Embassy as you are going there, surely they can provide this service?

3. Find a Thai lawyer who can't speak English and doesn't deal with Farang. This is what I did once option 1 failed after some eight years of happy dealings. He did not have a clue how much to charge, I offered 500 Baht for six sheets. He was very happy with this and it was all complete in less than 10 minutes. Still a rip-off but far less than the others were trying to screw me.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Indeed, don't "just go to any law firm": the lawyer must be duly registered to enable him to provide notary public services.

So,

1. I doubt a bank manager is legally entitled to notarized anything;

2. forget the US Embassy, they can't do it;

3. If you choose a Thai lawyer who can't speak English, you better make sure he has the notary certification and affix a notary stamp with his signature prior to paying him.

I know it is difficult to understand why a lawyer is charging for this service, particularly in america where you can get that done by basically anyone but eventually the notary will bear responsability and therefore he is charging his clients for this service.

A Thai lawyer speaking english (independent or in small firm) will probably charge something like 600 to 1,200 thb / sheet.

All the best,

I have been quoted up to 3,500 Baht for ONE sheet and ONE signature., needless to say I just turned around and walked out.

I suggest

3. Find a Thai lawyer who can't speak English and doesn't deal with Farang. This is what I did once option 1 failed after some eight years of happy dealings. He did not have a clue how much to charge, I offered 500 Baht for six sheets. He was very happy with this and it was all complete in less than 10 minutes. Still a rip-off but far less than the others were trying to screw me.

Yes, the U.S. Embassy can do this but NOT for free: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

See this for a Thai lawyer comment on Thai notarials, from the Pattaya Today Newspaper of 16 June 2010:

http://pattayatoday.net/business/legal-corner/notary-public-in-pattaya-to-be-or-not-to-be-authorized-that-is-the-question/

Mac

mrgreg....

surely you are now showing your brightest side here today....:lol:

just whence were the last time you visited and asked about a notarized service at the almighty consulate....?

at the bkk office, i received all pertinent gov'tal services for a small fees....

all pertinent services required by the u.s. gov't are provided for her citizens for a fee....

including all sort of funny looking and funnier reading state and federal retirement application documents.... witnessing, stamping, affixing, notarizing et al.... are all provided within that small bldg....

you just tend your request at windows.... then go on around the corner turning right--at the end of the walkway to pay your fees at the cashier window....

yes, they will accept your credit cards as well.... which i thought.... is quite convenient for everyone....

no.... i am not an employee....

if you must know.... if and when you do need a reliable DNA assessment and documentation.... for whatever which reason.... you can also request such service at the us consul as well.... it would be just around 1k usd.... as of today.... which is really a small price to pay for a new daddy.... :)

Indeed, don't "just go to any law firm": the lawyer must be duly registered to enable him to provide notary public services.

So,

1. I doubt a bank manager is legally entitled to notarized anything;

2. forget the US Embassy, they can't do it;

3. If you choose a Thai lawyer who can't speak English, you better make sure he has the notary certification and affix a notary stamp with his signature prior to paying him.

I know it is difficult to understand why a lawyer is charging for this service, particularly in america where you can get that done by basically anyone but eventually the notary will bear responsability and therefore he is charging his clients for this service.

A Thai lawyer speaking english (independent or in small firm) will probably charge something like 600 to 1,200 thb / sheet.

All the best,

Edited by nakachalet

The US Embassy/Consulate is the only location for US notary service and the cost is $30 or Thai equivalent. If all pages are the same subject it will likely be done for the one fee payment.

Once again, thorough and helpful information. It sounds like the Embassy route will be the simplest and surest way to go. I will see if I can make an appointment online, which I did on some other business there, with great results. Same day service with little waiting.

Thanks again to all.

Tom

My bank manager has several stamps that she is happy place next to my signature. One is a Garuda. Looks quite official, don't know what they mean. Anyway I've used these stamps for many USA documents which required notarization including insurance, US government stuff and legal stuff with never a problem and never a charge from the bank.

but eventually the notary will bear responsability and therefore he is charging his clients for this service.

Well, I wonder just how much responsibility a Thai Public Notary is actually taking on? If it was ever challenged, surely the get out is

"I checked the passport photo and it looked like him, the signature also resembled the signature in the passport, so acting in good faith I verified that he signed the document in my presence"

I doubt very much whether he would be liable for any fraud made through the use of the documents, unless it could be proven that he was taking a cut and/or committing blatant fraud himself,

I decided to go to the Embassy to get it done. I made an appointment online the day before and went on Monday. I had four signatures, all within the same document, relating to my company pension. They charged $30 for the first one, and $20 for each additional, even though I told them that I had heard they could all be done for a lump sum of $30. When I found out the bill was going to be $90, I had to go sit down and talk to myself a little bit. Then I went to the window, paid the money, got the notary stamps and was on my way. As an exercise, I am considering keeping the notarized signatures and going to my bank to have them 'notarize' the signatures and see if it works. I will probably have another little talk and just send in the notarized paperwork and start collecting the pension.

Thanks again for the help.

I suggest

12D, the people you mention are NOT authorised Notaries.

Had this problem last year when a lawyer said he was a Notary. He signed all the papers, I took them back to UK and Probate Office said "No good, Somchai XXXX is not on the Notary list of Lawyers in Thailand"

Notary Public in Thailand

Many people wonder what a Notary Public is and what is its function, if there is a notary public in Thailand and how they find one.

A Notary public is a public officer whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and certify, by his hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in a foreign jurisdiction.

In Thailand, a person who is authorized by the Lawyers Council of Thailand to administer oaths and to attest to the authenticity of signatures is the lawyer licensed from the Lawyers Council of Thailand to practice law having passed the training course of Notary Public of the Lawyers Council of Thailand to certify and to attest the authenticity of the signatures.

At present, the Lawyers Council of Thailand has passed the requirement governing the registration as an Attorney Qualified to Certify signatures and documents B.E. 2546 and opened training course for lawyers as well as the issuance of the license to the lawyers who passed such training course of Notary Public.

Edited by cardholder

12D, the people you mention are NOT authorised Notaries.

Had this problem last year when a lawyer said he was a Notary. He signed all the papers, I took them back to UK and Probate Office said "No good, Somchai XXXX is not on the Notary list of Lawyers in Thailand"

Notary Public in Thailand

Many people wonder what a Notary Public is and what is its function, if there is a notary public in Thailand and how they find one.

A Notary public is a public officer whose function it is to administer oaths, to attest and certify, by his hand and official seal, certain classes of documents, in order to give them credit and authenticity in a foreign jurisdiction.

In Thailand, a person who is authorized by the Lawyers Council of Thailand to administer oaths and to attest to the authenticity of signatures is the lawyer licensed from the Lawyers Council of Thailand to practice law having passed the training course of Notary Public of the Lawyers Council of Thailand to certify and to attest the authenticity of the signatures.

At present, the Lawyers Council of Thailand has passed the requirement governing the registration as an Attorney Qualified to Certify signatures and documents B.E. 2546 and opened training course for lawyers as well as the issuance of the license to the lawyers who passed such training course of Notary Public.

Hi CH,

I have only had to use these public notaries to open up bank accounts.

For me a "public officer" refers to someone working in the public rather than the private service. The legal lot work for themselves.

But we seem to have opened up a can of worms here, you have quoted directly from a particular firm, hence the "quaint" English.

On another site I have found

Notary Public in Thailand One of the most frequent questions which law offices in Thailand have been asked is: "Do you have a Notary Public Service in your law office?" or "Can I get a document certified by Notary Public in your law office?"

Those questions are asked either by foreigners or by Thai people who have contract or business with a foreigner.

The precise answer which may cause disappointment is: "There is no Notary Public in Thailand"

In various countries, a Notary Public is a special kind of lawyer with a license to perform specific work, i.e., to authenticate a document, or to witness an affidavit or the statement of any person under oath. The Notary Public provides a very useful service in that when a person receives a notarized document, affidavit or statement, he will recognize it as being authentic because it has been certified by a licensed neutral person who guarantees the document. A document that has be! en certified by a Notary Public is likewise recognized by government and other official agencies.

Even though there is no Notary Public in Thailand, when a client requests for the Notary Public Service, we may assist our client as follows:

1. We will advise our client to inform the related person precisely that there is no Notary Public in Thailand and recommend our client to ask the related person whether he will accept the document authenticated by a reputable licensed lawyer in Thailand instead of a Notary Public. In most case, if such document or transaction is performed in the private sector, the answer of the related person will be positive.

2. On the other hand, if such document is to be presented to an official agency in another country, we advise that after the document is authenticated by a reputable licensed lawyer in Thailand, it should then be re-authenticated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs or else by the Embassy of the countr! y in which the document will be presented.

Recently, ! the Law Society of Thailand has the idea of proposing a new law to introduce the Notary Public Service in Thailand but it may take a long time before such law is enacted.

Consequently, the aforementioned advice is appropriate for the time being. "

Even though there is no Notary Public System in Thailand, the Thai Law Society has tried to solve this problem by establishing the Registry of Signature and Document Attestation to train lawyers, who will perform the duty to certify signatures and documents, as so called Notarial Services Attorneys; and also to register the Notarial Services Attorneys for the purpose of verification.

Besides this, the Thai Law Society has also notified the international embassies in Thailand concerning the roles and the duties of the registered Thai Notarial Services Attorneys, which should be accepted at an international level until Thailand establishes a formal Notary Public System.

So it looks like there is no such official thing.

Which is interesting, as I have paid good Bahts for this service, and, indeed, had the large and impressive stamp accepted.

So, I wonder if anybody has the absolute facts on this?

Edited by 12DrinkMore

tjansen

i hope for you it is as easy as you describe it.... :)

normally, to collect one's own pension would be more involving....

some are required to answer tons of question, such as mother's maiden name, place of birth et cetera

wish you the best and smoothest sailing toward your utopia.... :jap:

I decided to go to the Embassy to get it done. I made an appointment online the day before and went on Monday. I had four signatures, all within the same document, relating to my company pension. They charged $30 for the first one, and $20 for each additional, even though I told them that I had heard they could all be done for a lump sum of $30. When I found out the bill was going to be $90, I had to go sit down and talk to myself a little bit. Then I went to the window, paid the money, got the notary stamps and was on my way. As an exercise, I am considering keeping the notarized signatures and going to my bank to have them 'notarize' the signatures and see if it works. I will probably have another little talk and just send in the notarized paperwork and start collecting the pension.

You lucked out on your timing because as of July 13th, the price will go up to a ridiculous $50 per signature, so your bill would have been a whopping $200 for 4 pages.

You lucked out on your timing because as of July 13th, the price will go up to a ridiculous $50 per signature, so your bill would have been a whopping $200 for 4 pages.

I'm hoping over the coming months there are going to be some serious written complaints to our congressional representatives and State Dept on this extremely high notary fee--it's more of a rip now than even before!