Electronic Whiteboard

jfk

guys,

wrote with permanent marker on electronic white board, now cant get it off.

any tips please.

i have tried going back over it with a dry marker and rubbing off-doesnt work.

tried a little bit of alcohol- didnt work.

tried a standard pencil eraser-worked a little bit but cant get it all off.

any tips would be great as this item cost the school a lot of money and i would like to get it cleaned asap.

many thanks for all your help.

No idea, but you might try finger-nail polish remover. Hopefully someone who read "Hints from Heloise" regularly will come along and know the answer.

I would be very leery of using that as it is acetone based which does a good job of melting plastic. The WD40 is a good idea though.

There is a cleaner called "S.P. Super Clean" made in Thailand, that will remove just about anything, including permanent marker.It does not harm the object that you are cleaning. We keep a bottle at school, because some of the students like to write on things that they aren't supposed to write on.:annoyed:.I keep a bottle at home, because my 2 year old son will sometimes use his crayons and markers on the floor or wall. My wife even uses it to clean her purses.

Richard104365 recently posted this in a thread that I will close:

I was in classroom at Payap the other day studying with my classmates. We were using the whiteboard together. One of my classmates picks up a permanent marker and starts to write on the white board. I quickly stopped them and reached for the eraser to try to remove their mistake. It didn't work.

One of my other classmates quickly used one of the erasable markers to trace over the permanent marker and then used the eraser to remove the mistake.

I was amazed it worked! I'm sure others know about this but in case you don't.....now you do.

Might be worth a try.

The writing fluid in Whiteboard markers contains a solvent.

Use a proper whiteboard marker and write over what you first wrote using permanent marker. You can then wipe it and both should be removed. I've had the same problem before ... in each case something left on the board by the previous user.

Edited by Suradit

I've used the writing-over-permanent-marker-with-whiteboard-marker-then-erasing thing, too. Alcohol isn't apparently the right sort of solvent. Have tried some other nasty things from the chemical cabinet which worked, but which were probably carcinogenic (and these were on normal white boards which are probably made of tougher stuff than the surface of an electronic board). Agree with other posters to try a small test dab first to see the surface effect of whatever you use.

hi guys,

nail varnish remover doesnt work. also wd40 doesnt work. i have been using a normal pencil eraser that is removing some. writing on it with a dry marker and rubbing it off doesnt work.

looks like i am beat on this. you would think that this is a common occurance and something must take it off but it appears- no.

150,000 baht and i have ruined it. what am i gonna do.

any more advice would be great.

thanks. :annoyed::unsure:

If you have access to an actual chemical lab, you may wish to try some of the liquid hydrocarbons as solvents- hexane, benzene, etc. (very carefully, with tiny test dabs to make sure they don't also dissolve the surface!!). You should also be aware of the safety precautions in using those chemicals, etc., etc. I don't recall exactly which one of these worked for me, but I know it was one of them- however, as I said, it was on a NORMAL white board, which I am sure is not made of the same material as the electronic ones. So I don't guarantee anything, but it sounds like you are in nothing-to-lose territory.

Have you tried asking the company which produced the board (or any other board)? As you say, SURELY this must have happened on multiple occasions previously.

I've never had this problem with an electronic whiteboard, but with regular whiteboards alcohol would always remove any marks that other methods left behind.

I googled this problem and came up with two other solutions: Windex and MEK - Methel Ethel Ketone. Be careful with that MEK though, it's fairly toxic stuff.

success guys, i tried everything and it didnt work. then an old lady suggested the juice from a lime and lo and behold - it has come off. amazing.

thanks for all your suggestions.

regards :rolleyes: