Isaan Residents Mental Anguish Over Thai Political Developments

webfact

What the poor up here in Isaan want is fairness.

They know they hold the cards when it comes to an election as this is where most of the population live and therefore governments decided.

That is why the currently unelected members don't want an election anytime soon as they know they will be on the way out.

As was stated earlier, most people here are too busy trying to make ends meet on a daily, weekly basis to have any mental anguish over events several hundred Kms away.

Dont worry Karma will sort this all out lets see what happens to unelected Abhisit when he is forced to have an election to see if the majority of Thais really want him.........Rest assured he will cling on to power for as long as he can but I believe that an elite Eton Oxford Amart is not what most people in Thailand want to run their country.... those posters that doubt that wait for the election results

They know they hold the cards when it comes to an election as this is where most of the population live and therefore governments decided.

That is why the currently unelected members don't want an election anytime soon as they know they will be on the way out.

As was stated earlier, most people here are too busy trying to make ends meet on a daily, weekly basis to have any mental anguish over events several hundred Kms away.

Assuming with "currently unelected don't want an election anytime soon" you mean members of the government (as in PM with cabinet as opposed to normal MP's), can you name a few ?

Edited by rubl

Sorry... uh... which of the current members of parliament were not elected?

first you need to educate the parents why higher education is important for their children, 90% of the time the parents are at fault by not being supportive even though a good majority of the kids are quite bright, however the parents want them out of school and making money asap so they can rid themselves of the responsibility. the route cause is selfishness, only care about me, no one else, and especially the future.

but i do agree that the pooyai is a major factor in this, a good leader creates unity & prosperity. a bad leader causes the complete opposite.

Starting with the disbandment of the Poo Yai system is what is needed first.

This man/band of men across the country are the maintainers of corruption in the villages, most Issan Farmers and thier families (and other areas) first taste of corruption starts at home when the Poo Yai pays them a couple of hundred baht (note* of there own money) to vote him in.

I note improved education seems to be a common thread amongst TV member suggestions for improving Thailand, if Isaan people were educated about the consequences of this Poo Yai corruption then maybe its a start?

The corruption in Thailand starts at home then it percolates itself through Thai society.

Food for thought!

I don’t think doing away with “Poo Yai” system is the answer, as after all, you do need a local government head.

Part of the answer is indeed education, but also further development is needed that allows future generations to be free from the rural poverty cycle. If you look at the political history of say the US, you can see parallels between the rural South in early 20th century, right up to the early 60’s and rural Thailand today. What finally did away with the power of the local political strongman was economic development and the emergence of a middle class that was not beholden to him.

TH

first you need to educate the parents why higher education is important for their children, 90% of the time the parents are at fault by not being supportive even though a good majority of the kids are quite bright, however the parents want them out of school and making money asap so they can rid themselves of the responsibility. the route cause is selfishness, only care about me, no one else, and especially the future.

but i do agree that the pooyai is a major factor in this, a good leader creates unity & prosperity. a bad leader causes the complete opposite.

Do you have first hand experience of this?

I have first hand experience of parents not having the money for the clothes and books required for secondary education.

I have first hand experience of parents not having the money for the clothes and books required for secondary education.

yes i do. but you make a good point about uniforms & books. even though the government claims "free education" it's not really free. we should do away with uniforms and books should be recycled instead of each year having to buy new books.

They all were. Andy is just been drinking the Red Kool-Aid a bit to long.

Books and uniforms were free this year for children in my extended Isaan family. No cost for the books, and cash was handed out to purchase the uniform in town.

Perhaps some families spent the cash that was provided for uniforms?

Also, It is a rare family in my wife's village that somehow cannot find the money for alcohol, even though their children are wearing rags.

Dont worry Karma will sort this all out lets see what happens to unelected Abhisit when he is forced to have an election to see if the majority of Thais really want him.........Rest assured he will cling on to power for as long as he can but I believe that an elite Eton Oxford Amart is not what most people in Thailand want to run their country.... those posters that doubt that wait for the election results

Perhaps you are rite and Abhist will not be reelected.

But in the mean time you might want to deal with the reality that he was elected the same as the last two PM's were. Funny how you Thaksin lovers think the other PM's were elected but this one wasent. Do you still recieve a pay check from Thaksin?

Why does this misunderstanding persist? All of the MPs in the ruling coalition were elected. Perhaps you are thinking of the American system where the people vote for a specific man for president instead of voting for the party they like and the resulting MPs forming a government and appointing a PM from their ranks - usually but not always the party leader. And come to think of it, the US has had one unelected president - Gerald Ford, who didn't receive a single vote from the American public.

Vote buying is not the only corruption they experience at the hands of the Poo Yai. Who do you think owns the rice mills that end up determining the price that farmers get paid for their rice? And these thieves will happily lend them money at a high rate of interest to buy seeds for the next planting and the cycle continues. And these are the same people who were organising the farmers to go to Bangkok and protest the unfair treatment, when they should be the first ones lined up against the wall.

Different thread, I think.

But, it does show that Isaan Andy is the only person in Isaan who knows "they hold the cards". Most Thais in Isaan do not have a clue about electoral balance. They understand that if Thaksin says that Abhisit and Suthep killed innocent red shirts in Bangkok then it surely must be true.

FYI, Isaan people are from Thailand, they are Thai unlike Farang.

Farangs at TVF have bf and wives only from good family. Only their maids come from Isaan.

Nonsense... Most of my neighbors have Burmese maids. :blink:

My wife did not come from Isaan. Does that mean she automaticly comes from a good family and if she had come from Isaan she would have come from a bad family.

Now about my maid I married her and as I said she does not come from Isaan, In fact she comes from Pihchet [sorry about the spelling] Just today she was telling me about working in the rice fields when she was eleven.

You might want to reconsider your opinon of Isaan Thai''s. For that matter all Thai's.

FYI, Isaan people are from Thailand, they are Thai unlike Farang.

Farangs at TVF have bf and wives only from good family. Only their maids come from Isaan.

Nonsense... Most of my neighbors have Burmese maids. :blink:

My wife did not come from Isaan. Does that mean she automaticly comes from a good family and if she had come from Isaan she would have come from a bad family.

Now about my maid I married her and as I said she does not come from Isaan, In fact she comes from Pihchet [sorry about the spelling] Just today she was telling me about working in the rice fields when she was eleven.

You might want to reconsider your opinon of Isaan Thai''s. For that matter all Thai's.

I think maybe you were missing other people's attempts at humour...

Edited by zthyadat

Poor little dears in Isaarn? Som Num Na - don't come and scream, burn, shoot and destroy Thailand - then complain. It was your dumb ass red leaders screaming their vitriolic poison from the stages 24/7 brainwashing you and disturbing the rest of the peaceful residents of BKK so now if you are 'stressed' take a powder and pull your heads in. As already clearly stated, som num na.