Ubon

zoolander

Yesterday i went shopping at Sunee Mall in Ubon and wanted to look in the large sports shop there.

Upon entering the sports shop i was followed by one of the young helpers, as is normal here.

After browsing, i picked what i wanted and the helper and i walked to the cashiers desk to pay.

After paying the plump cashier lady i turned to walk out, when she said in a rather loud and intimidating voice “Tip Mai”. I just carried on and walked out of the shop.

I’m sure this would not have happened to a thai and while this is no big deal, there have been a few unpleasant incidences similar to this happen here in rural Ubon.

I guess i will have to learn to live with it, but only five years ago i never heard any such comments.

The worst part of this was that the cashier actually expected a tip.

If the girl was serious and plump - no tip!! <_<

If she had been joking and/or suay maak............. :whistling:

Edited by bergen

I'll bet you dimes to donuts that she used to be a bar gril in BKK or Pattaya.

You can take the girl out of the bar, but you can't take the bar out of the girl.

A plump cashier in a sports shop - why would you think so? :ermm:

After paying the plump cashier lady i turned to walk out, when she said in a rather loud and intimidating voice “Tip Mai”

I always give a tip in these situation.

1 baht coin thrown on the table. 'there you go, nong'.

jingthing.

re .... I have noticed tip boxes popping up in the most bizarrely inappropriate businesses.

does that include seven elevens ?

a white box by the till that said tips two weeks ago at this seven eleven at thapae gate in chiang mai

has now been re named ...donations..... but not to who or what ?

enjoy pic .... dave2

post-42592-085042700 1277862953_thumb.jp

Perhaps a Pattaya influence. In the last few years, I have noticed tip boxes popping up in the most bizarrely inappropriate businesses.

I think this tipping thing is a USA influence. I'm full aware that tipping is considered normal in USA

but why bring it here? When in Rome....wink.gif

Tipping is not normal in the USA for a retail checkout situation.

It would be normal for a restaurant setting. But if a store checkout clerk in the USA started requesting tips, they know the customers would be contacting the management about it.

So you pretty much did what I would have done in the same situation. And if I returned to the same store and spotted her I would make sure she saw me turn and head for the door to leave.

kenk3z