True Launches Super Fast Internet Service

george

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a few pieces of bad/incorrect information in the various posts above... Specifically....

The True web page on their Ultra High Speed Internet Service most certainly has an English version. See it here.... All the web pages in that group have a Thai/English toggle button in the upper right corner...

There also are a few condo buildings in the Suk 18-24 area that supposedly are wired for this new service... The True web page has a Google mapping function built in where you can search by area within BKK, and one such area is Klong Toei... That's where the Suk area buildings are listed... The True mapping page is here.... Klong Toei is at the near bottom of the pull down box for areas...

And lastly, I REALLY doubt anything with a 16MB True connection is getting anything close to a 16 MB download connection to anyplace in the USA.... Locally in Thailand or maybe Asia region, perhaps.... But if the real IP destination is the USA and it's not cached content somewhere locally, 16MB to the USA just aint' happening...

Additionally it is utter nonsense to say there are too many users on 16 MB so the TRUE tech suggests to switch down to 8 MB.

8 MB is always going to be slower.

I currently have 8 down 1 up. Still pretty horrible.

Too many users? Possibly. Insufficient infrastructure? More likely.

There also are a few condo buildings in the Suk 18-24 area that supposedly are wired for this new service... The True web page has a Google mapping function built in where you can search by area within BKK, and one such area is Klong Toei... That's where the Suk area buildings are listed... The True mapping page ishere.... Klong Toei is at the near bottom of the pull down box for areas...

Nothing on Sukhumvit 24.

I REALLY doubt anything with a 16MB True connection is getting anything close to a 16 MB download connection to anyplace in the USA.... Locally in Thailand or maybe Asia region, perhaps.... But if the real IP destination is the USA and it's not cached content somewhere locally, 16MB to the USA just aint' happening...

I THINK you will find people are. I am without fail as are other family members in their condos. if you are on the 16mb product and are not getting it perhaps your not on the premium product or perhaps your line is too far from the exchange. Post your Router SNR, Attenuation and sync rates and i will tell you why you are not getting 16mb.

True has totally enough international bandwidth and their premium products never fail to match INTERNATIONAL target within reason. if yours are not you need to take a look at your line statistics.

The contention ratio is half on the premium products compared to True's standard offerings.

Edited by negreanu

At 10:50 am on a Sat morning in BKK, I ran the test on your USA site and got a 1.6 MB download speed from True, and I have a 8 mb supposedly premium connection, right in the heart of downtown BKK.

I put a mini-speed test from speedtest.net on our web site hosted in the USA and I normally have between 12 - 14mbs downloads on my True home 16mbs adsl connection during the tests.

http://www.jsat.tv/c...out-jsattv.html So feel free to test away to your hearts content.

Another issue to contend with on this subject is True tends to use speed test facilities that, surprisingly :whistling:, for some reason, give HIGHER speed results on their tests than other un-related test sites... In other words, somehow, I suspect they are gaming the results...

I've tested this before and gotten that result. So I tried again last night, and once again same result.... Below are 3 results... the first from True's International speed test to a USA server, the second from an independent test to an L.A. server, and the third from an independent test to a NY server...

Guess what, the True site shows a 3 mb download speed, while the other, non-True related test sites done simultaneously show only 1 mb speeds to the LA and NY locations.... And that was at past 3 am in the morning BKK time...on a True 8 mb premium connection.

Edited by jfchandler

Had to do a bit of image editing... Here at the three speed test files...

post-53787-024170100 1279339800_thumb.jp

post-53787-009231600 1279339811_thumb.jp

post-53787-072311000 1279339830_thumb.jp

PS - Last night, the same-True related speed test said I was getting 10 MBs download speed locally to a BKK server and even to Singapore, on a supposed 8 MB premium connection...

So that pretty well shows the drop off in International speeds isn't related to some settings on my PC, router or anything else line/signal related here locally in BKK...

It is, clearly, a lack of capacity on International bandwidth, or perhaps, intentional throttling by True...

Jfchandler and Pib,

Post your router line statistics. Pretty sure that it is your problem not TRUE:

SNR

Line Attenuation

Sync'd Rate

Max Sync Rate.

Connect direct to the router using LAN cable rather than Wifi.

Disconnect all phones etc. connected to the True line (Remove filter)

Connect the router to the Phone line at the master socket.

Edited by negreanu

I'm with TOT...I was only posting my TOT results for comparison.

My DSL line SNR attenuation and SNR are excelllent... 32db SNR download and 30db attenuation download on a 4Mb sync package...and these SNR/attn values stay within 1 to 2 db of aforementioned values whether rain or shine. I get the 3.5Mb "IP" speed as advertised by TOT. My modem sync speed is 4096Kbps down and 512Kbps. I have a stand alone DSL line...no phones/faxes/etc hooked up...and where my modem hooks to the line is right where this standalone line enters the house. Speeds don't change whether I'm hooked directly/RJ45 cable from computer to modem or going wireless with my Linksys wireless router.

The TOT 4Mb Basic Fit package is providing the service advertised. I get the 3.5Mb in-Thailand speed 24/7...rain or shine. It's just TOT's international speed is not the greatest as I've heard they use a contention/user ratio of 50 to 1 and they throttle international bandwidth usually to the 25-50% range of max sync speed. TOT focuses towards the routine Thai user, who do the great majority of their browsing on in-Thailand sites.

Wish TOT had a "premier" type package that offered higher international speeds at a little higher price, but they don't to the best of my knowledge. They offer the Power Fit package but the only difference between a Basic Fit and Power Fit package is the upload speed is 1Mb vs 512Mb. I would have got the Power Fit package but it's not offerred to my little part of western of Bangkok/moobaan....expect it has to do with the DSLAMs they have in the central office/station serving our areas. Supposedly sometime next year (in Thai time that probably means in two years) they will start providing higher speed service to my area...but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers.

As for my response, those are good general suggestions to maximize one's net connection...

However, in my case, I'm not using Wifi...but a direct wired connection...

And you can see the other details from just now in this related post/thread.

If there was some issue about my local wiring or configuration, I wouldn't be getting 5-10 MB locally and only 1 -2 MB internationally to the U.S.

Plus, as the other thread demonstrates, True's own speed test readings are BS...

As for my response, those are good general suggestions to maximize one's net connection...

If there was some issue about my local wiring or configuration, I wouldn't be getting 5-10 MB locally and only 1 -2 MB internationally to the U.S.

Plus, as the other thread demonstrates, True's own speed test readings are BS...

Pib, I too have a Linksys router at home, and I've been into the setup settings many times for passwords and other things, including upgrading the firmware...

But I don't recall ever seeing menus in my Linksys router software those show me the readings/measurements for the techie stuff like SNR and the rest...

Where, menu-wise, do those kinds of things reside once you've logged onto one's Linksys router...

Right now I'm using a WRT160N, but it's software interface looks pretty much the same as the prior WRT54GS I was using until recently...

30db attenuation

That is not that great to be honest. Your SNR is ok tho. I am on 20db SNR and 10db Attenuation and getting the full 16mb on true 16mb premium.

I think its your distance from the exchange that is your speed issue judging by your attenuation.

Pib, I too have a Linksys router at home, and I've been into the setup settings many times for passwords and other things, including upgrading the firmware...

But I don't recall ever seeing menus in my Linksys router software those show me the readings/measurements for the techie stuff like SNR and the rest...

Where, menu-wise, do those kinds of things reside once you've logged onto one's Linksys router...

Right now I'm using a WRT160N, but it's software interface looks pretty much the same as the prior WRT54GS I was using until recently...

No, you get the SNR and Attenuation values from the modem, not the separate router. I have the TOT issued Billion 5210 RC modem which hooks to the DSL wall socket and then it's RJ45 port hooks to my wireless Linksys WRT 54G series router.

For my Billion modem, you access it's setup menu structure (not the router's) at 192.168.1.1 In its menu/setting structure this is where you enter your ISP issued User ID, Password, can make a various modem settings, and get device info/stats such at SNR, Attenuation, Sync Rate, etc.

30db attenuation

That is not that great to be honest. Your SNR is ok tho. I am on 20db SNR and 10db Attenuation and getting the full 16mb on true 16mb premium.

I think its your distance from the exchange that is your speed issue judging by your attenuation.

No, it not great but its still very good. 30-40db attenuation falls within the category of being Very Good. And the 32db SNR ratio is Outstanding. Below is a cut and paste from one of the posts in the TV ADSL Help topic which gives a summary of SNR and Attenuation readings in general (and actually this info was taken from a web site that I've seen before).

And the info is the chart below is in sync with the DSL speed calculator at below web site. Since, my TOT 4Mb package uses the plain jane ADSL standard (versus ADSL2+ like your True package), 30db attentuation would limit me to just below or right at a 8MB ADSL plan. But if/when TOT replaces the ADSL DSLAMs in my area (the DSLAMs are approx 2 kilometers away which is well within the approx 5 kilometer max for a DSL line) with ADSL2+ DSLAMs, I should be able to almost support a 16Mb ADSL2+ package...probably be safer with a 10-12Mb ADSL2+ plan. But if they put a mini-DSLAM for ADSL2+ on a pole/in a junction box closer to my home, which is probably what you are hooking up to initially versus a DSLAM at a central office/station, I would be able to go at 16Mb and higher.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

As mentioned earlier, I'm getting "full" 4Mb sync speed and the full resulting IP speed of approx 3.5Mb which takes in account DSL control bits. It's just my international speed is limited to around 1-2Mb simply because of how TOT limits it's international bandwidth on its international gateway. True has its own international gateway and is apparently more generous with international bandwidth.

For S/N Margin Readings:

6bB. or below = Bad and will experience no line synchronisation or intermittent synchronisation problems.

7dB-10dB. = Fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions.

11dB-20dB. = Good with little or no synchronisation problems

20dB-28dB. = Excellent

29dB. or above = Outstanding

Attenuation Rates:

20bB. and below = Outstanding

20dB-30dB. = Excellent

30dB-40dB. = Very Good

40dB-50dB. = Good

50dB-60dB. = Poor and may experience connectivity issues

60dB. and above = Bad and will experience connectivity issues

None Believers on the 16mb True premium package. About 1mb slower than normal as usual at the weekend. Speedtest.net, Thaivisa speedtest, itunes Downloading, Giganews Downloading. Although there will still be those on here who claim its not true and international bandwidth is throttled, limited etc etc.

These tests are from Non Thai hosted servers mainly west coast USA.

883313290.png

Shot 1

Shot 2

Shot 3

Edited by negreanu

Run the same speed test here connecting to the U.S., and post a screen capture of the results...and let's see if they are real...

The ThaiVisa speedtest to Singapore means nothing...

I posted yesterday a screen capture of the same OKLA service showing a 10 mb connection and 34ms ping rate to the U.S., but it was BS... True is gaming the system... And the independent site above showed a real 1 mb connection, not the 10 mb OKLA was showing.

Run a test with an un-related, independent web site...

Edited by jfchandler

Run the same speed test here connecting to the U.S., and post a screen capture of the results...and let's see if they are real...

The ThaiVisa speedtest to Singapore means nothing...

I posted yesterday a screen capture of the same OKLA service showing a 10 mb connection and 34ms ping rate to the U.S., but it was BS... True is gaming the system... And the independent site above showed a real 1 mb connection, not the 10 mb OKLA was showing.

Run a test with an un-related, independent web site...

Instead of running the flashplayer or java speedtests try going to McAfee's speedtest which downloads a file and tells you how long it took to download the file. http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/

With different browsers, operating systems, times of day, host server, and almost any other variable you add you will get different results. If someone happens to be streaming something or using their slingbox or similar device it will affect the speed, depending on how many people are doing that at the same time. Then you have commercial and governmenal access and demands on the internet spine coming into Thailand along with the particular route used.

MSPain

I'm not sure how accurate or valuable that McAfee site is...

I ran that web page test 4 times just now, and every time it produced the exact same number, 500 kbps...

And here's another example of why I'm sure True is somehow gaming the SpeedTest results...

Both of the results below (BKK to LA) were done just now, with nothing else running/downloading, from my BKK desktop with True 8mb premium... Which one do you believe???

post-53787-068906500 1279438213_thumb.jp

post-53787-093579500 1279438230_thumb.jp

It's easy to be deluded by silly, meaningless test results.... 10 MB, 33 ms to LA from BKK??? Sure...

Instead of running the flashplayer or java speedtests try going to McAfee's speedtest which downloads a file and tells you how long it took to download the file. http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/

With different browsers, operating systems, times of day, host server, and almost any other variable you add you will get different results. If someone happens to be streaming something or using their slingbox or similar device it will affect the speed, depending on how many people are doing that at the same time. Then you have commercial and governmenal access and demands on the internet spine coming into Thailand along with the particular route used.

MSPain

JF,

Did you actually look at the screen shots i posted?

Different speed testers And of course ITUNES store download in progress and also Giganews download in progress....

Dont tell me itunes store and giganews downloads are also being falsely manipulated by true??? :) :)

I saw measurements that added up to a couple of MB from different sources... not 15 mb.

And I saw some mention of something that appeared to involve using simultaneous 50 connections....

I'm not sure what kind of multi-threaded downloading you're doing.

But those aren't the kinds of things typical users are going to be doing on the Internet.

And for say accessing streaming video (as opposed to downloading), those kinds of approaches aren't going to work...

I can (and did) post clearly bogus speed test results too... just to make the point, how bogus they are.

PS - I see you don't want to accept my challenge to test your supposed speed using the DSL Reports site and post the results here... Pretty quiet on that...

Edited by jfchandler

I saw measurements that added up to a couple of MB from different sources... not 15 mb.

I think you better check your maths. 1.6MB/s. Download is pretty dam_n close to 15mb.

I will do your speed test when i get home.

But if 1.6MB/s. From itunes store does not convince you then i think your tech knowledge is lacking somewhat.

I have given u 2 different speedtests. I have given you itunes store download and shown giganews download.

I am sorry if that is not good enough to convince you i dont know what u need. I would invite you round in person to see it but you sound like a nutter ha :)

I'll try your specific speedtest. Perhaps then you will accept it???

Edited by negreanu