Horrendous Speeds For True

bonobo

I had ToT with a 3/512 mbps package, so I upgraded to True with an 8/1 mbps package so I can watch my US-based slingbox.

I have had the True techs out here twice now, and I am awaiting them tomorrow.  I am typically getting 3 mbps downloads and 0.12 uploads.  Today, it is 0.36 downloads and 0.03 uploads.  Just using ThaiVisa is a chore.

The True people say my condo has lousy wires, but it worked for ToT. 

What else can I check?  And if True is untenable, where can I get at least 8/1?  

It seems like True is doing something with their internet backbone today. The speed is being capped at very low speeds. I've been receiving slow downloads and uploads today. Who knows what's going on but this has happened before in the past and it typically doesn't last more than half a day to a day. I'm in the Bangkok area.

As far as your purchased internet speed goes..if you are getting 3mbps download (before today) on the advertised 8 mbps package chances are they didn't upgrade it at all. I notice a lot of times when you "upgrade" with True the only thing that is upgraded is the cost but the speed is never guaranteed beyond the minimum advertised package. The only guaranteed line are the business lines but even then those are limited.

It seems like True is doing something with their internet backbone today. The speed is being capped at very low speeds.

Yes, True is exceptionally slow today for international connections, something I haven't experienced in many months. Domestic is normal and fast, but international is uncharacteristically very, VERY slow, with pages timing out all the time. Too painful and a big waste of time.

It seems like True is doing something with their internet backbone today. The speed is being capped at very low speeds. I've been receiving slow downloads and uploads today. Who knows what's going on but this has happened before in the past and it typically doesn't last more than half a day to a day. I'm in the Bangkok area.

As far as your purchased internet speed goes..if you are getting 3mbps download (before today) on the advertised 8 mbps package chances are they didn't upgrade it at all. I notice a lot of times when you "upgrade" with True the only thing that is upgraded is the cost but the speed is never guaranteed beyond the minimum advertised package. The only guaranteed line are the business lines but even then those are limited.

He didn't upgrade with true though....

If you want to check that they are actually sending you the right speed down your phone line then you can log into your router. Should also have figures for noise margin and attenuation so you can see if it is a problem with the quality of your line or not.

Also, what worked with a 3mb package might not be good enough for an 8mb package. As speeds increase you need a higher noise margin figure and lower attenuation.

Edited by inthepink

<br>
<br>It seems like True is doing something with their internet backbone today. The speed is being capped at very low speeds. I've been receiving slow downloads and uploads today. Who knows what's going on but this has happened before in the past and it typically doesn't last more than half a day to a day. I'm in the Bangkok area.<br><br>As far as your purchased internet speed goes..if you are getting 3mbps download (before today) on the advertised 8 mbps package chances are they didn't upgrade it at all. I notice a lot of times when you "upgrade" with True the only thing that is upgraded is the cost but the speed is never guaranteed beyond the minimum advertised package. The only guaranteed line are the business lines but even then those are limited.<br>
<br><br>He didn't upgrade with true though....<br><br>If you want to check that they are actually sending you the right speed down your phone line then you can log into your router. Should also have figures for noise margin and attenuation so you can see if it is a problem with the quality of your line or not. <br><br>Also, what worked with a 3mb package might not be good enough for an 8mb package. As speeds increase you need a higher noise margin figure and lower attenuation.<br>
<br><br><div>So far I didn't see anyone here mention the fact that the speeds that TOT or TRUE advertise are for Bangkok or Thailand only. Outside of Thailand downloads are much slower.</div><div>You can usually see these differences by using the Speedtest dot net web site test for Bangkok or a major international city on their world map.</div><div>But then there are always slower speeds when they are doing maintenance or upgrades or depends on where you are and if it's on weekends, etc.</div><div>Fiber optics and new lines will speed things up in the near future. <br><br>

</div>

Download and run Ping-Plotter -- Run a plot to any WWW that you use regularly. It will give a map of the complete path to the WWW server and will identify which hop(s) are slow or returning a high percentage of packet losses.

Show the results to the TRUE Techies and they should be able to identify the problem and either fix it or pass it up the chain to someone who can.

http://www.pingplott...m/freeware.html

If you have a router then you can log into the home page by typing the IP number into the address bar of your web browser. They vary slightly depending on the make of your router. For example, to log into a Netgear router you would type 192.168.0.1 or for a Belkin router it would be 192.168.2.1

Some of them will require a user name and password before you can see anything.....the password is often blank or "password" if it has not been set up by anyone.

Edited by inthepink

Sorry to read the OP is having troubles like that....

By way of comparison, I speed tested my True supposedly premium 8 mb service with a bunch of different U.S. connections tonight.... at close to 3 am local time, and got a blistering :whistling: fast 1 mb download speed, pretty much constant over 5 or 6 different test locations...

Actually, I consider that to be pretty good for True and international connections... At least, it's enough to stream video...without stalling...though not at any great resolution.

Earlier in the evening, I suspect, the speeds to the U.S. would have been much worse.

Seems we are beginning to see more True customers report less than stellar results. By less stellar, I mean reports which seem much closer to other ISPs (e.g., TOT) versus reports along the lines of, "I have the 16Mb True plan and get 16Mb in and out of Thailand!" I have no doubt some folks who live in just the right location/soi/building/etc., get some high speeds and proudly report them. But for the True customer who don't get these stellar results but something more ho-hum they are probably not being reported as much.

I'm on the TOT 4Mb/512Kb package in a western Bangkok moobaan and my in-Thailand speed is always right at 3.5Mb and my international speed averages real close to 1Mb 24/7; although, for the last 3 to 4 days I''ve been averaging closer to 2Mb internationally with some results right at 3Mb....don't know what happened or how long it will last so I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. Here is some mid day/Saturday/around 1pm results to the west coast of the U.S.

882422624.png

882425530.png

Forgive me for saying so, but True and their Speed Test site are full of ****!!

Here's what the True site shows today for my desktop PC in BKK with a True 8 mb premium connection...

Basically 10 MBs local to BKK and 10 MBs to someplace undefined in the USA, with a faster ping rate to the USA than to BKK... 34 milliseconds to the USA??? Ya right!!! :realangry:

post-53787-059039800 1279354204_thumb.jp

post-53787-052656800 1279354213_thumb.jp

Here's what a real, non-True related test shows for the same PC and connection at the same time (3 pm Sat afternoon) to Los Angeles and New York... just about 1 MB download, and 200 to 300 ms pings...

post-53787-034683800 1279354248_thumb.jp

post-53787-066778200 1279354257_thumb.jp

Which ones do you think are real???

Comparsion of your and my results on the same TOT plan but at different locations is probably a good example of "where you tap into a ISPs internet backbone" can make a big difference.

I expect you are making another hop or two than me just to reach the Bangkok based TOT internation gateway server and the portion of the TOT backbone in Chang Mai is weaker/slower than the portion of the TOT backbone in Bangkok. And even within Bangkok there are wide differences in speeds achieved by people on the same plans. Generally, I think the folks who live in the highrises/condos in Bangkok and Pattaya get the best speeds since TOT, True, 3B, etc., have invested more in their internet capability/backbones/DSLAMs/etc., in those areas. Location, location, location.

Edited by Pib