Thai PM Abhisit Denies Fear As Assassination Plots Revealed

webfact

Thai PM denies fear as assassination plots revealed

BANGKOK (AFP) -- The Thai prime minister on Thursday dismissed fears about his safety after he was revealed to be the target of assassination plots, but announced plans to maintain a state of emergency across Bangkok.

National police chief General Pateep Tanprasert said Wednesday that premier Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban were targets after they ordered a military crackdown on mass anti-government protests in May.

"Intelligence reports show it from time to time, but all the security agencies who offer protection for high profile people are fully at work, so I personally do not worry at all," Abhisit told reporters.

"Nowadays some groups are ready to resort on violence, so we have to be more careful," he added.

The prime minister said senior judges and government officials were also believed to be targets for assassination.

"If they feel that they are intimidated or threatened they can ask for government security protection," he said.

"A culture of violence has already been introduced into Thai politics... but those who use violence will be dealt with."

The state of emergency, which hands sweeping powers to the police and military, is currently in place across about a third of Thailand after two months of anti-government protests in Bangkok that sparked bloody clashes.

The violence during the "Red Shirt" rally and the army crackdown on May 19 left 90 people dead, triggering a rampage by protesters.

The emergency decree is due to expire on July 7, but Abhisit said it would be extended in the capital and possibly elsewhere, although "for how long depends on the situation".

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-01

PM unfazed by rumours of assassination attempt

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday that he is unfazed by rumours of a purported assassination attempt against him, but said that tightened security measures will be provided for the country's key figures and that the state of emergency should remain in force in the capital.

The prime minister made remarks after acting national police chief Pol Gen Pateep Tanprasert revealed that intelligence reports indicated some groups are plotting an assassination attempt against the country's key figures and that security related officials have provided additional protection for possibly targeted persons.

Mr Abhisit said his government's intelligence agency has monitored the situation and anyone who has been threatened should inform authorities so that the security officials will be dispatched to take care of them.

"For me, I'm not worried," said the premier. "When some parties want to use violence, I have to be more cautious."

The premier added he and Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban agreed to extend the Emergency Decree enforcement in Bangkok which is the targeted area, but the period of the law's extension is still unknown, depending on the situation.

The premier also expressed concern over the value of using violence in politics, saying that no country can move forward using violence and democracy cannot be developed in an atmosphere of violence.

Mr Abhisit however conceded that violence has been used in Thai politics at the moment and that the government is trying to resolve the problem.

This is the reason why the government must enforce the special law in parallel with the national reconciliation road map, he added.

Meanwhile, Pol.Lt-Gen.Tritot Ronnaritivichai, commander of the Special Branch Police, said on Thursday that Mr Suthep, in his capacity as director of the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) has instructed the police bureau to step up security at some 40 targeted locations for possible sabotage in Bangkok.

Gen Tritot said Special Branch police are now seeking more information on possible attacks in the targeted locations and will discuss adjusted security measures in the capital with metropolitan police on Friday.

Pol Col Songpol Wattanachai, Deputy Metropolitan Police chief, said that security measures have been boosted at the homes of the prime minister, the deputy prime minister, other key ministers, and the president of the Supreme Court as well as state buildings such as Government House and Parliament.

Col Songpol added that the metropolitan police chief has called an urgent meeting with police chiefs in the capital area to assess the situation and set 68 high-risk spots, most of them fuel depots and electricity sub-stations.

Armed police will be deployed at the locations around the clock and they are allowed to use an all-out security measure against the wrongdoers to prevent possible damage.

Regarding the progress in investigating the Sunday night grenade attacks at an army oil depot in Nonthaburi, Col Songpol urged witnesses of the incident to give information on the four suspects so that the authorities have sufficient evidence for court approval of arrest warrants against them.

The information of the witnesses would be kept secret, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-01

of course he is unfazed, the threats are just government lies to give more credence to the continuation of the emergency decree, He knows his life is not in danger, well not from the reds anyway.

And how would you know this, Tony?

of course he is unfazed, the threats are just government lies to give more credence to the continuation of the emergency decree, He knows his life is not in danger, well not from the reds anyway.

Tony, you sure seem to know everything. You must still be a teenager.

Well I would have thought that his life is in HUGE danger from red sympathisers. They eat live and sleep violence and if that is not the case they have created enough hate for some maverick red to take it into his own hands. Sadly, to say that he is not in danger from the reds is naivety to the nth degree !!!!

He should worry but not about the plot about his bodyguards and police force protecting him.

Police are not capable of restraining one unarmed person or spot anything out of ordinary unless there is a payment there for them

His bodyguards seem to miss the ABC of the first rule in the book-You do not leave your client exposed,

Yet every single appearance or where ever he goes they are a distance away from him, and rather then looking at the crowds they seem to be either looking down or at each other,(not bringing up that he was hurt by rocks during ASEAN last year and bodyguards did absolutely nothing)

He should seriously consider bringing Pro's either Ex British SAS, Israelli's or American Ex Delta

Sadly as a head of state he has totally useless protection

I'm with Kuffki on this one; He should worry but not about the plot about his bodyguards and police force protecting him. In addition to his comment I add, remember Indira.

Indira Ghandi, PM of India was assassinated by her own bodyguards.

Being sincere doesn't stop one from making mistakes or believing incorrect things. I must admit I do have a problem with "guy that ordered the wholesale murder of unarmed people" and "I am yet to see one bit of footage with one of the murdered holding a weapon". It sounds to much like "I know, I know", only part missing is "God told me". No discussion possible with people like that.

Edited by cdnvic
removed deleted quotes

do I spy another not too bright troll

Tony is sincere in his beliefs.

Being sincere doesn't stop one from making mistakes or believing incorrect things

Look again. I am on your side. I was trying to make a subtle point. I guess that subtlety is just not my forte. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

The premier also expressed concern over the value of using violence in politics, saying that no country can move forward using violence and democracy cannot be developed in an atmosphere of violence.

this is from the guy that ordered the wholesale murder of unarmed people, before anyone prattles on about armed reds etc I will point out that I am yet to see one bit of footage with one of the murdered holding a weapon, and I guess the medics were an immediate threat to the soldiers lives.

This guy is a hypocrite and the sooner he gets his comeuppance the better, and the sooner Thailand can move forward.

Nor have you seen any footage showing who actually killed any of the victims. The technology is still not there for online cameras from every gun sight. Thus you cannot place any blame for sure, except that the Red Terrorists were told to go home or there would be trouble. They chose to stay. Right now that is about the only thing anybody can say for certain.

Correct.

Edited to add. People who constantly make these claims should just put up or shut up.

Edited by Roadman
removed deleted quotes

One over the top, inflammatory post full of allegations that had no corroborating evidence, and what appeared to be a wish that the PM would be assassinated was deleted. Unfortunately so was a handful of others but only because they felt the need to requote the offending post and every reply to it. There is no need to quote three hundred words of text only to respond with four.

In any case we aren't about to let people use this forum as a propaganda soapbox to spew unsubstantiated allegations. If you have strong proof of something and can present it in a less than hysterical way, go for it. But bombastic statements with nothing but informatory rhetoric to back it up will get trashed, along with posts who recklessly quote it.

• Like 2

Post #1: The PM said 'The emergency decree is due to expire on July 7, but Abhisit said it would be extended in the capital and possibly elsewhere, although "for how long depends on the situation".'
If the BIB are maintaining law and order it should expire, not be extended! :huh:

If Abbissit hadn’t done what he did when he did it where would we all be now, mob rule and intimidation would be on a larger scale, more widespread, uglier, more destruction, more unemployment and lots more disruption to ordinary people’s everyday lives. His job as Prime Minister was and has been made so much more difficult because of the non cooperation and disloyalties of certain parts of the establishment, they let this fester and snow ball, standing by whilst weapons were stockpiled, lethal barricades put up and normal law abiding citizens were intimidated on a daily basis.

The costs to Thailand as a country in the international arena, their business economy, let alone normal everyday working class Thai nationals, small and large businesses owners are still being counted and will for years to come.

Abbissit as Prime Minister had to make hard decisions, I feel that it was a shame he didn’t do something sooner but , look at how he gave in to the demands of elections amongst other things to a timetable that they were asking for, the red’s had achieved what they wanted and should have gone home peacefully, started their election campaign. Did they do this? No, did they carry on with their hate, violence and rhetoric..YES...

Thailand has a good Prime Minister; the departments under him need a good shake up if this country is going anywhere. Good luck to Abbissit....

Being sincere doesn't stop one from making mistakes or believing incorrect things. I must admit I do have a problem with "guy that ordered the wholesale murder of unarmed people" and "I am yet to see one bit of footage with one of the murdered holding a weapon". It sounds to much like "I know, I know", only part missing is "God told me". No discussion possible with people like that.

You're kidding? Right? Have you watched any TV? Seen any of the video clips? If so, you would not post what you have just said....

Everybody blames the PM...he is just one piece of the government. He does not make all the decisions himself, as we all well know...or should know...lot's of folks involved in this thing.

He did not order the wholesale murder of unarmed people. That is an incorrect statement. Too many radicals on both sides.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that both of you guys actually agree with each other. rubi was attacking a nutty post bashing the PM (I'm pretty sure). At least I hope so, because I agreed with him and right now I think that Abhisit is Thailand's best and maybe only hope.

Edited by Ulysses G.

You're kidding? Right? Have you watched any TV? Seen any of the video clips? If so, you would not post what you have just said....

Everybody blames the PM...he is just one piece of the government. He does not make all the decisions himself, as we all well know...or should know...lot's of folks involved in this thing.

He did not order the wholesale murder of unarmed people. That is an incorrect statement. Too many radicals on both sides.

You must be kidding. There are too many clips which have been interpreted in conflicting ways. Furthermore not 'everyone' blames the PM, I'm not for one.

I guess the pics/videos I have seen show so many "men in black" with weapons that I get a bit riled when posters say the red mob was unarmed...and basically the PM murdered unarmed civilians. We know that there were armed guards. Too many pics and videos to prove it.

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize!!!! :jap:

As I have posted before, I could really get behind the reds...if they drop Thaksin and stop the violence. Otherwise, I am completely against...but mainly due to the violence.

I guess the pics/videos I have seen show so many "men in black" with weapons that I get a bit riled when posters say the red mob was unarmed...and basically the PM murdered unarmed civilians. We know that there were armed guards. Too many pics and videos to prove it.

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize!!!! :jap:

As I have posted before, I could really get behind the reds...if they drop Thaksin and stop the violence. Otherwise, I am completely against...but mainly due to the violence.

No need to apologize, basicly we seem to agree :)

If Abbissit hadn’t done what he did when he did it where would we all be now, mob rule and intimidation would be on a larger scale, more widespread, uglier, more destruction, more unemployment and lots more disruption to ordinary people’s everyday lives. His job as Prime Minister was and has been made so much more difficult because of the non cooperation and disloyalties of certain parts of the establishment, they let this fester and snow ball, standing by whilst weapons were stockpiled, lethal barricades put up and normal law abiding citizens were intimidated on a daily basis.

The costs to Thailand as a country in the international arena, their business economy, let alone normal everyday working class Thai nationals, small and large businesses owners are still being counted and will for years to come.

Abbissit as Prime Minister had to make hard decisions, I feel that it was a shame he didn’t do something sooner but , look at how he gave in to the demands of elections amongst other things to a timetable that they were asking for, the red’s had achieved what they wanted and should have gone home peacefully, started their election campaign. Did they do this? No, did they carry on with their hate, violence and rhetoric..YES...

Thailand has a good Prime Minister; the departments under him need a good shake up if this country is going anywhere. Good luck to Abbissit....

A very good assessment of the situation based on common sense. Abhisit is the best hope for Thailand.

Do you really believe what you write?

Does it matter? Ignorant statements like these do not deserve attention. Many have heard and seen the death threats that were made on the red stage, even demonstrating the how...

Edited by Motoon