What Is This Name In English ?

kevtoo

เอ๊าะ is Northern (and maybe Northeastern) Thai for young and sexy, as in สาวเอ๊าะๆ--a fresh-faced, attractive, energetic, and obviously young girl/lady. I think it's also occasionally used and understood in the Central dialect.

It's rather difficult to render the sound into Roman characters that can be read properly by English speakers, since the เอาะ sound doesn't exist in English. It's kind of like a cross between the "ow" of "cow" and the "oe" of "toe", but shorter, sharper, and further back in the mouth.

(BTW, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "numerous vowel sounds", but if you mean more than one vowel sound in the word, then, no, there's only one sound, but it's written using multiple vowel characters. The เอ (ay) vowel combines with the อา (ah) to make เอา (ao/ow), and the อะ (a/uh) is added to the end to make it a short เอา--เอาะ--which sounds like "ow", but shorter and more explosive.)

That does not contain numerous vowel sounds. It is actually just one very short vowel. (Without the superscript high-tone mark, it's the same vowel in the Thai word for "island," which 99.9 percent of farangs never seem to learn how to pronounce correctly...)

เอ๊าะ is not a name - so there is no English. It might be someone's nickname, although it's difficult to tell without any context to your question.

When repeated (เอ๊าะๆ), it has a lot of meaning. For a discussion of that, see: http://www.thai-language.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2487&p=9075&hilit=เอ๊าะๆ#p9075

Edit: Sorry about that Peppy, your post slid in just before mine. By the way, I hear it more as "aw" (perhaps the British prefer "or") - either way, the sound is clipped short.

Edited by mangkorn

Sorry i meant vowel characters as opposed to sounds. Thanks for your help. It's a bit clearer now. I presume its used as a nickname, although not one i've heard before.

When you don't hear what a person said

Instead of 'excuse me' say 'eh'

When you don't hear what a person said

Instead of 'excuse me' say 'eh'

Actually, "eh" would be the vowel sound of เอ๊ะ - but not at all like the vowel sound of เอ๊าะ

I can only repeat my wife reads it as 'eh', rude version of 'pardon', maybe my ears are wrong!

เอ๊าะ is Northern (and maybe Northeastern) Thai for young and sexy, as in สาวเอ๊าะๆ--a fresh-faced, attractive, energetic, and obviously young girl/lady. I think it's also occasionally used and understood in the Central dialect.

I always assumed that เอ๊าะๆ referenced a decidedly underaged individual, not a child, but not yet an adult, more in that 13 to 16 age bracket.

เอ๊าะ is clearly the same as its Cockney translation, spelt hot and pronounced 'o'!. :D

Hi,

I looked at it as 'ow' as in cow. Are you saying that with the ' ะ ' it becomes like the ' o ' in the london pronounced 'hot' ?

Just to clarify .Thanks

I looked at it as 'ow' as in cow. Are you saying that with the ' ะ ' it becomes like the ' o ' in the london pronounced 'hot' ?

Yes, though there's nothing peculiar to the London pronunciation of the vowel, and opener an pronunciations might be better. Unrounded American pronunciations would not do. The London point is the absence of consonants other than glottal stops.

Yes, though there's nothing peculiar to the London pronunciation of the vowel, and opener an pronunciations might be better. Unrounded American pronunciations would not do. The London point is the absence of consonants other than glottal stops.

Thanks, I live 100miles north of london and i would say '' It's 'ott' 'A' it ''. So there is definitely a difference.

Edited by loser1

Here's a similar constructed word in Thai, well two.

เกาะ Goh- Means 'Island' And we do say it like goh like a frog saying 'Gop'

ฮาว How- means 'we/us' in Isaan or ราว- row- means 'we/us' in central Thai

Just remind people that there are two ways to make the 'ow' vowel the second being เรว.

Hope this helps.

Just remind people that there are two ways to make the 'ow' vowel the second being เรว.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to pick you up on your spelling but, ฮาว should be เฮา, ราว should be เรา and that last one เรว isn't the 'ow' vowel sound you are talking about. An example of the two 'ow' sounds, สาว - girl and เสา - pole, they're both led my the consonant ส, a high class consonant therefore making them both rising tone.

If you ever learned or taught the English alphabet with phonics you can get a good idea of the sound of เอ๊าะ.

Rather than sounding out A (ay), B (bee) C (see) D (dee), phonics goes 'ah', buh', 'cuh', 'duh'. Go up all the way to O and you'll get the same sound (though I can't really transcribe it phonetically as 'oh' as that's kinda misleading). Just be sure to cut it real short from the back of the throat. No holding on to the sound as you let it out.

Add the high tone, and you're done.

Edited by dobadoy

Hope this helps.

Sorry to pick you up on your spelling but, ฮาว should be เฮา, ราว should be เรา and that last one เรว isn't the 'ow' vowel sound you are talking about. An example of the two 'ow' sounds, สาว - girl and เสา - pole, they're both led my the consonant ส, a high class consonant therefore making them both rising tone.

No problem in picked up, ' A person afraid to make a mistake is afraid to learn. Yes i have just looked up 'ฮาว & ราว' and it indeed means 'About, aproximately or a handrail' not 'We' which is spelt ' เรว' , i just assumed it was the 'we' definition because saw it in isolation we the word 'Island' as listed above making 'our island' but Thai makes a fool of people constantly . I have also noted it is an 'ow' sound but longer and slower from the recording i've listed to. How is the vowel of ฮาว pronounced ?

Edited by loser1

Hope this helps.

No problem in picked up, ' A person afraid to make a mistake is afraid to learn. Yes i have just looked up 'ฮาว & ราว' and it indeed means 'About, aproximately or a handrail' not 'We' which is spelt ' เรว' , i just assumed it was the 'we' definition because saw it in isolation we the word 'Island' as listed above making 'our island' but Thai makes a fool of people constantly . I have also noted it is an 'ow' sound but longer and slower from the recording i've listed to. How is the vowel of ฮาว pronounced ?

With your examples of ฮาว, เฮา, ราว, and เรา, it might be easier if you thought of the vowel sound as "ao" instead of "ow" (but with the same sound rhyming with the English word "cow"). So then you can tell the difference between the pronunciation of the different spellings is due to the different lengths of the vowels. So เฮา and เรา would be "hao" and "rao". While ฮาว and ราว would be "haao" and "raao".

เกาะ is a bit harder to find a good romanization for. The most unambiguous is if you write it "gɔ̀". If you can't use phonetic symbols, then I prefer to write it as "gàw". "Goh" or "Koh" are the most widely used, however. And it's a shame because it's so easy to mistakenly read it as an English long "O".

เอ๊าะ is clearly the same as its Cockney translation, spelt hot and pronounced 'o'!. :D

Spot on. This is a great way to explain the เอ๊าะ sound. Now, to get Brits to pronounce 'island' correctly we just need to tell 'em it's Cockney for 'got'.

Spot on. SNIP!! :P

Possibly 'spot on' for anyone who happens to know what a Cockney accent even sounds like. :lol:

Ahh the perils and pitfalls in trying to represent thai using engrish letters and pronunciations with the plethora of accents out there world wide for engrish. :o

Sure makes learning thai seem easier than tryin' to parse out a word in 'karaoke' engrish. ;)

I have a friend who constantly calls me with words he reads from some engrish thai dictionary with the whacky karaoke engrish, Half the time, even knowing the meaning of the word he's tryin to say I can't make it out. Of course his thick Glaswegian accent doesn't help :ermm: .

Now if he'd just learn to speak something closer to american engrish, I'd bet we'd be on the same page. :)

Edited by tod-daniels

Spot on. SNIP!! :P

Possibly 'spot on' for anyone who happens to know what a Cockney accent even sounds like. :lol:

Quite. Which is why I say *Brits* now have a way of deciphering เกาะ. For all you other language learners ... well you'll have to find your own way biggrin.gif This is the perennial problem when relying on transliteration. For months I went around mispronouncing สระ แอ because I had a dictionary published in Australia which described แอ as being the same sound as the 'a' in 'cat'! Aussies and Brits (like me) clearly pronounce cat very differently.

It's not until one takes the plunge and learns the alphabet with a native speaker that one starts to iron some of these out - the native speaker I chose was a southerner with a lovely rolling accent ... now I live in Bangkok ..... oh the irony! ๕๕๕๕๕

I always assumed that เอ๊าะๆ referenced a decidedly underaged individual, not a child, but not yet an adult, more in that 13 to 16 age bracket.

I too have always understood เอ๊าะๆ to be used as Johpa describes; to refer to young adolecent girls. As for pronunciation, it sounds like the เกาะ as in เกาะเสม็ด (Koh Samet) or เกาะสมุย (Koh Samui) but without the ก ไก่ sound. Let's not get into why เกาะ is rendered "koh" in most english transcriptions as we have beat that subject to death. In American english it sounds something like raw as in uncooked but shorter and more emphatic. The ๆ symbol indicates it is reduplicated as well so what you get is aw!aw! (once again the aw sound being like raw as in uncooked but shorter and more emphatic). The only real way to hear this (these) word(s) spoken properly is to ask a native speaker to pronounce it for you.

Whomever the "we" refers to here, you are pronouncing it incorrectly. In Thai, those two words have completely different vowels, and vowel sounds.

Whomever the "we" refers to here, you are pronouncing it incorrectly. In Thai, those two words have completely different vowels, and vowel sounds.

what a shame in a language forum, oh well.

I'm no expert but i wouldn't have said that the vowel part of the word 'Gop'- frog กบ which i have heard Thais pronounce like the 'oh' in the cockney 'Hot' as discussed is so different from the 'oh' of เกาะ , also similar as the cockney 'Hot' as discussed. Granted there different vowels. How would you produce the vowel of กบ?