Screencast/Tutorial Software

welo

I want to create a simple tutorial for a web based software UI (comparable to a router's web administration interface).

I found several free solutions but none offered editing features. I want to be able to cut out parts of the video (not just at the beginning and the end) because I don't want to include (slow) page loading and build-up times in the tutorial ;) I tried using pause/resume but this didn't work well.

Enlarged mouse pointers and click animations would be nice to have features, as well as being able to add arrows and text, etc.

I guess I am looking for something that is not aimed at screencasts in general and outputs a movie with x frames/sec, but is optimized for software tutorials.

I don't mind Watermarks being added or even ads, I just don't want to spend (much) money on it, since it's just for private use.

Thanks,

welo

I think you can separate the tasks a little.

I guess you already tried these?

Try PiTiVi and Kino for editing

RecordMyDesktop to record

Should be said I only tested them for a short while a few months ago....

Martin

Thanks, my only Linux computer runs in headless mode, no graphical UI. My workstation is Windows, that's why I didn't post in the Linux subforum :P

;)

welo

Your have a graphical graphical desktop in just an "apt-get's" distance... :rolleyes:

Martin

wink seems the obvious choice, but didn't work for me on 64bit Windows 7 (it seems the 64bit part that gives problems, please don't tell the 64bit-Windows-is-weird advocates on this forum ;)). I consider running it in a virtual machine, but I am still hoping for other options.

I'm also not sure if I should look for something like wink which is based on screenshots, or use a movie based screencast solution.

The first probably offers smaller file sizes and easier editing capabilities (for the arrows and stuff), but I wonder whether compression is good enough already so one doesn't have to worry about file size if the screen changes infrequently.

@siamect

There will be NO GRAPHICAL UI on my Linux server, NEVER EVER!!! ;) I consider running an X-Server app on my windows machine though.. But I still would have to install most of the UI packages on my server, at least that's how I understand it. Are we getting off-topic here? Well, it's my topic anyway ;)

welo

@siamect

There will be NO GRAPHICAL UI on my Linux server, NEVER EVER!!! ;) I consider running an X-Server app on my windows machine though.. But I still would have to install most of the UI packages on my server, at least that's how I understand it. Are we getting off-topic here? Well, it's my topic anyway ;)

welo

Yes you are right, You can omit the Xserver and some of the fancy stuff on the Gnu/Linux box but... most distros will probably add it as a dependency to the applications you install (if they are graphical) and sure you can stop that in one way or the other... I wouldn't spend any time on that.

Martin