Bikes Under 100K

gmac

So, the CBR150 is going to be history, what are the choices now for someone who wants a bike for in town riding but doesn't like scooters? Had CBR's for the last 8 years and considering Tiger Boxer but some seem to be saying that it is a better out of town bike due to poor turning circle. From what I can see there is nothing else. Is anyone aware of any other options as even the Ninja at 140K-ish (if I was prepared to go that high) wouldn't be a great choice as the torque seems to be in the high rev range, and not suited to mainly in town riding either.

Edited by gmac

Hi Gmac. It is true the turning circle of the boxer is a bit wide, but that doesn't mean it is unsuitable for town driving ...there are plenty BiB drive around on Boxers in BKK and they do pretty fine on it right?

If you look for scooter or wave "in town"convenience than go for those - but don't expect a allround or sportsbike be all great in town... they maybe good but thats about it.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Spend a bit more and get a 250cc D-Tracker- great bike for city riding IMO. About 150k Baht new but you can find used ones in the ~100k Baht range.

S_dtracker02.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Agreed tony...the D-tracker is nice too... if we get delighted of the availability from the Sachs X-road 250 ( for appr 100000 thb) that would also be an option. But to date no news .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Spend a bit more and get a 250cc D-Tracker- great bike for city riding IMO. About 150k Baht new but you can find used ones in the ~100k Baht range.

S_dtracker02.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Agreed tony...the D-tracker is nice too... if we get delighted of the availability from the Sachs X-road 250 ( for appr 100000 thb) that would also be an option. But to date no news .

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Ah yes! The Sachs X-road looks quite promising and should compete well with the D-tracker in performance and price - wonder how much longer we'll have to wait... :whistling:

012810SachsXRoadSm.jpg

S_dtracker02.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Ah yes! The Sachs X-road looks quite promising and should compete well with the D-tracker in performance and price - wonder how much longer we'll have to wait... :whistling:

012810SachsXRoadSm.jpg

Hi Tony,

Just got the info that the wait for the X-road 250's availability , will be rather longish .... :(

I will update when i know more ..

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I have posted that the Boxer 250's turning radius is relatively wide, for me, but always in the context of what I call "little" city bikes, which I prefer, along with automatics, for crazy town driving here in Chiang Mai. But I think OP should try out a variety of the more serious bikes available before turning away from any choice in particular - it is really a matter of what we're accustomed to driving in certain conditions.

There is no substitute for testing out the bike in conditions akin to its eventual use, or in a way to compare. In addition to Tony's idea (and nobody can argue with a man whose sun eats sidecars), there are 150 cc bikes that are pretty swift - not motorcycles exactly - that you can find listed when you look for prices for motorcycles in Thailand.

Thanks for the input. As I suspected very much a case of spend more (D-Tracker looks decent), stick with what i've got (CBR), buy a Tiger Boxer or wait to see if anyone (Sachs?) bring anything else onto the market to fill the gap that the CBR will leave. I really feel uncomfortable on scooters, unstable to my mind, the tanked bikes feel a lot more solid on the road, so that is what I would prefer if I can get my hands on one.

Thanks for the input. As I suspected very much a case of spend more (D-Tracker looks decent), stick with what i've got (CBR), buy a Tiger Boxer or wait to see if anyone (Sachs?) bring anything else onto the market to fill the gap that the CBR will leave. I really feel uncomfortable on scooters, unstable to my mind, the tanked bikes feel a lot more solid on the road, so that is what I would prefer if I can get my hands on one.

Can only be some great Thai business logic that dropped the No ! selling sport bike on the Thai market without a replacement, not even replaced with the CBR125 which is made on the same assembly line and identical except for the 125cc engine and top cowl. Could do a bore up job on that, and have a good bike???

The Honda dealer I go to, had been averaging almost 1 sale per week of the CBR. there are many Thai CBR owners on the road now, not just Farang riders. There simply is no substitute to the CBR150 available in Thailand. It defies all normal logic.

But sure its a small market compared to the scoot market...but you cant compare.......they dont replace the CBR by any stretch of the imagination.

I think we all forgot another brands ...Lifan, Zongshen-Ryuka and also Platinum which may have something in this priceclass. I don't know those bikes really but Lifan and Zongshen- Ryuka may be of better choice than the Platinum Brand where i frankly never heard good news about.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

PS: Don't wait for the Sachs X-road 250 unless you have a lot of time.

Thanks for the input. As I suspected very much a case of spend more (D-Tracker looks decent), stick with what i've got (CBR), buy a Tiger Boxer or wait to see if anyone (Sachs?) bring anything else onto the market to fill the gap that the CBR will leave.

I really feel uncomfortable on scooters, unstable to my mind, the tanked bikes feel a lot more solid on the road, so that is what I would prefer if I can get my hands on one.

I agree 100% with that comment.I'm glad to find someone else who feels that way about scooters, as nice as my Elsie is.:)

Well my CBR is only 2 years old at the moment so there's no rush to change. I've just been in the habit of keeping up to date and changing every 2-3 years which keeps the cost of changeover to a minimum and I don't have to worry too much about parts wearing out. An old habit I brought with me from England when I used the same practice with my cars. I guess there's no harm in holding on to my current one for a couple more years. I doubt it'll fall apart!!

Can only be some great Thai business logic that dropped the No ! selling sport bike on the Thai market without a replacement, not even replaced with the CBR125 which is made on the same assembly line and identical except for the 125cc engine and top cowl. Could do a bore up job on that, and have a good bike???

The Honda dealer I go to, had been averaging almost 1 sale per week of the CBR. there are many Thai CBR owners on the road now, not just Farang riders. There simply is no substitute to the CBR150 available in Thailand. It defies all normal logic.

But sure its a small market compared to the scoot market...but you cant compare.......they dont replace the CBR by any stretch of the imagination.

It could be both Honda and Yamaha have something up their sleeves. Was nosing around Mitoyan yesterday and for the first time I actually saw one of the Honda Wave 110 c.c. AT's. It's got the very short compact drive belt that offers move efficiency to the drive. As I posted earlier, this setup is supposed to offer better power to the ground efficiency while offering better fuel economy for the automatics. The stumbling block before was that too much heat was developed before with such short belt setups but now the short belts can be cooled much more efficiently and can provide double the belt life of the longer belts used in Air Blades, Mios, Nouvos and the like. So here's a thought. If this is the way to go with a 110 c.c. machine why not a 125 or a 135 such as we presently have in the Nouvo Elegance. For that matter why not a 150 or even bigger? So perhaps Honda is thinking, "If we are going to come out with some very enticing automatics just around the corner why should we be offering upgrades for the Honda CBR 150 or even be offering the 250 that we are currently selling in Japan."

This might be a rational explanation for why at least for the moment that the Honda CBR 150 is not being produced as dealerships liquidate their remaining inventories.

Now that I've said that, I've just returned from grocery shopping at the local grocery market here in Pattaya. Parked there was a gorgeous Honda 150 CBR in that nice blue color I rented in Krabi. Was only on that little blue machine for a couple of hours but I felt it was all I'd want or need if I lived outside such major population centers as Pattaya. Looking at that nice blue CBR in the supermarket parking lot, I was thinking....."That would be a real shame to stop producing that machine exactly as is and in that exact same color. I am almost tempted to go out looking for one just like it while there are any left. .

An oddity about that "AT" is that the cooled and more efficient automatic transmission is connected from said transmission to the rear sprocket by a chain. Thus, those of us who figure that losses surrendered to automatics at least don't have to even consider the upkeep of a chain - do have that service obligation. Still, I'm dying to hear from an owner some long-term fuel usage figures, which must be record-setting for automatics.

Still, I can't see Honda figuring that "sports" bikes or any bike very powerful will sell if they have even improved automatic transmissions - we like the tactile feel of shifting for hills and curves, the sense of control, and we call it fuel efficiency or claim safety in downshifting.

Honda seems to have become quite arrogant, discontinuing all their motorcycles (CBR, Phantom and Sonic) without announcing any replacements. I wonder what kind of a fool with an MBA but no common sense thought of that brilliant idea? My CBR is at 70K and has been flawless, but it's starting to show its age.

The Tiger looks like the best alternative now, even though it's a somewhat low tech bike, I won't even touch anything Chinese, everyone I know who has bought any of the Chinese bikes have has regretted it.

Honda apparently does manufacture a CBr125 fuel injected here, but it's for export only. I' m going to wait a while and hope they release something suitable here, but get a Tiger if they do not. It's disgraceful that all Honda sells now in Thailand are clutch less and fan belt drive scooters.

Honda seems to have become quite arrogant, discontinuing all their motorcycles (CBR, Phantom and Sonic) without announcing any replacements. I wonder what kind of a fool with an MBA but no common sense thought of that brilliant idea? My CBR is at 70K and has been flawless, but it's starting to show its age.

The Tiger looks like the best alternative now, even though it's a somewhat low tech bike, I won't even touch anything Chinese, everyone I know who has bought any of the Chinese bikes have has regretted it.

Honda apparently does manufacture a CBr125 fuel injected here, but it's for export only. I' m going to wait a while and hope they release something suitable here, but get a Tiger if they do not. It's disgraceful that all Honda sells now in Thailand are clutch less and fan belt drive scooters.

Having seen examples of CBR, Phantom and Sonics that have ridden 70K to 90K, and our well maintained, that look good for there age and run very well. Have also seen Platinum and JRD with 5k, or less, that both look and ride terribly; aged way beyond there couple of years of limited use.

My question is which end of that spectrum of 'wearability' does the Tiger Boxer fit? A bit better than the cheapies, somewhere in between, or pretty close to Japanese machines?

Having seen examples of CBR, Phantom and Sonics that have ridden 70K to 90K, and our well maintained, that look good for there age and run very well. Have also seen Platinum and JRD with 5k, or less, that both look and ride terribly; aged way beyond there couple of years of limited use.

My question is which end of that spectrum of 'wearability' does the Tiger Boxer fit? A bit better than the cheapies, somewhere in between, or pretty close to Japanese machines?

Hi Fishenough ,

I think the one in Bold applies. Here is a Photosession of Charlies(kano85) Boxer having done 30000km : http://tigersachsclu...ic.php?f=8&t=80

he has now about 50000km on his Boxer and still looks great/as new.

When I sold my Boxer having done 10000km in less than a year it was as new( but this is what i expected anyways) ...no corrosion or rust at all. Plastic parts are great and there was no other signs of aging. here some pics: http://tigersachsclu...5&start=10#p417

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Well, it makes sense to buy new, if you can afford it. The Boxer has a nice engine and I like the riding position. As for the turning circle, have you turned on a GPZ 1000 RX? That's one bad circle!

Buying used might mean you are gonna pay for the previous owner's deferred maintenance. I'm too poor to keep doing that.

Ride on,

Chris

Hi Fishenough ,

I think the one in Bold applies. Here is a Photosession of Charlies(kano85) Boxer having done 30000km : http://tigersachsclu...ic.php?f=8&t=80

When I sold my Boxer having done 10000km in less than a year it was as new( but this is what i expected anyways) ...no corrosion or rust at all. Plastic parts are great and there was no other signs of aging. here some pics: http://tigersachsclu...5&start=10#p417

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Thank you for the information. I think I'll just get the Boxer 250. I live in Sattahip and there are very few Boxers around here, except for the police and the Sattahip Navy Police, who ride the 200. It might be nice owning something that not so many people have. My CBR still runs great, it just feels loose and sloppy and is starting to show some rust, the truth is that I could get another 50K out of it if I wanted to, but I simply want a new bike.I also do not want a bigger bike because the smaller ones are easier to park, and there is less temptation to ride them too fast. I know I'd probably get hurt with a fast bike, I enjoy speed too much.

Edited by Bobr

Hi Fishenough ,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Hi Mbox

Interested to see that you sold your Boxer in less than a year. Did you have problems with it? Did you lose a lot on the new price, the resale value is something that particularly concerns me as I tend to change my bikes every couple of years which has worked fine with the CBR's but I do worry about the 2nd hand market for the Boxer. Also your comparison of Charlie's Boxer @ 30,000 kms can be a little misleading as 30,000km for some (me included) would take about 5 years, I believe Charlie did it in 1 year or less so it would tend to be rather less 'weathered' than other bikes with the same mileage on the clock. Good to hear it's still going strong though!

Hi gmac, I made no secret that i sold my Boxer and actually posted it on every forum too( Tiger sachs, Gt-rider, Thaivisa , Secretsoi)...i change my Bikes often and got myself in March 2010 a Virago 750 ( with clean green book)which soon is finished from repairs ( longer than expected) the Boxer was sold for 60000 THB just before Songkran and here is a post i made about : http://tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&start=20#p1313

There was no faults or errors on my Boxer while i had it and i believe the new owner who travels the Boxer nationwide now is also very happy.

Charlies Boxer is now 1,5 years old...but we talk about wearability and to some extend this includes mechanical parts too and obviously having the bike over long distance riding on all kind of road conditions(done by charlie)...and this where mileage is the factor and not the amount years( what good does it if you evaluate wearability based on town driving , the bike sitting in a garage and never experienced bad road conditions??). But i am certain as time will pass we will get updates from charlie & other Boxer Owners confirming the wearability over the plastic partsor those parts that maybe affected by weather....

Happy Trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox