Resigning From Work

I have searched regarding this topic and found some contradicting information. Hence, I would like to clarify and hopefully get some relavant info from those with recent experience.

I hold a Non-Imm B (multiple entry) valid until next Feb 2011 and the same for work permit. I just resigned and my last day of work will be on 30/07/2010. I plan to leave TH on 7/08/2010 to have some time to pack things, do some last shopping & arrange shipping of my things.

My Questions:

- Do I need a letter from my company stating my last day & resignation?

- Do I need to return my work permit? [Previous posts mentioned I can keep it?]

- Do I need to go to Immigration and cancel my visa? If so, will they give me the 7-day visa (free) or do I need to pay for this extension?

Thanks in advance! :)

It is important to be sure you have a multi entry visa (you can only stay 90 days without leaving Thailand to obtain a new 90 day stay). If you have a one year extension of stay for work issued by immigration and only required to make address reports every 90 days the rules with be entirely different. Please advise if here on a 90 day stay or not.

It is important to be sure you have a multi entry visa (you can only stay 90 days without leaving Thailand to obtain a new 90 day stay). If you have a one year extension of stay for work issued by immigration and only required to make address reports every 90 days the rules with be entirely different. Please advise if here on a 90 day stay or not.

I do have a one year extension of stay for work with re-entry permit (multiple). I do the 90-day reporting if I don't go on biz trips during this period. What will be the procedure in this case?

You must obtain a letter from employer to present to Immigration and have them cancel your extension of stay on your last day of work. If you do not wish to leave immediately you may obtain a 7 day extension of stay at that time. Be sure to have a 4x6cm photo and 1,900 baht. The work permit should be returned just to be sure (some offices seem to not care but it could come back to bite if you wish employment again so best to do it now).

for me , i will go on your last day of visa to nong kai and pay 12000,- bath to some visa agent at borderline at 8.00 am and you get in laos 30 day tourist visa +reentry(total 60 day visa ).this is finnish at noon 3.00h pm. after go back home.

You must obtain a letter from employer to present to Immigration and have them cancel your extension of stay on your last day of work. If you do not wish to leave immediately you may obtain a 7 day extension of stay at that time. Be sure to have a 4x6cm photo and 1,900 baht. The work permit should be returned just to be sure (some offices seem to not care but it could come back to bite if you wish employment again so best to do it now).

When I resigned from work two years ago, I did not return the work permit (they didn't want it). It was no problem getting a new work permit. This experience was in Bangkok.

for me , i will go on your last day of visa to nong kai and pay 12000,- bath to some visa agent at borderline at 8.00 am and you get in laos 30 day tourist visa +reentry(total 60 day visa ).this is finnish at noon 3.00h pm. after go back home.

You will pay 12,000 baht for a free tourist visa? Not making much sense; and this thread is not about obtaining visas in any case.

Thanks. Do I need to go to Immigration on my last day of work or can this be done a few days before?

When I resigned from my old company and joined the new one in Thailand, the Old one informed BOI and Immigration office to cancel the position and Visa status and after that I got a extension of 7 days free of cost to get another visa from New Company or to leave the country....So pls. check with your company when the are putting this to Immigration office....once they put your docs to Immigration office, your Passport will get another stamp that your old visa is cancelled and you can now stay for a max. of 7 days (really it is 5 days, but assuming one sat and one sun, it is always 7 days.)....hope it'll help

When I resigned from my old company and joined the new one in Thailand, the Old one informed BOI and Immigration office to cancel the position and Visa status and after that I got a extension of 7 days free of cost to get another visa from New Company or to leave the country....So pls. check with your company when the are putting this to Immigration office....once they put your docs to Immigration office, your Passport will get another stamp that your old visa is cancelled and you can now stay for a max. of 7 days (really it is 5 days, but assuming one sat and one sun, it is always 7 days.)....hope it'll help

That must have been some time ago. As of Oct. 2006 there is no more grace period of 7 days, you either leave the country or have to get an extension of stay for 7 days for which you have to pay 1,900 baht.

That must have been some time ago. As of Oct. 2006 there is no more grace period of 7 days, you either leave the country or have to get an extension of stay for 7 days for which you have to pay 1,900 baht.

Right, I understand the same that there's no more grace period of 7-day stay.

Anyways, have I decided to leave the night time of my last day at work..

Can I just show the letter from my company at the Airport Immigration or do I need to go the Immigration Office in Chamchuree Square (where my visa was arranged)???

The quetion would be if you have a valid re-entry permit or not. If not, simple leaving the coutry should do the trick as that would automatically cancel your permission to stay. If you do have a re-enty permit, your permission to stay needs to be cancelled and you would need to go to immigration to do that, Chanchuree square should be fine in your case.

However, there was a report that someone was send back to immigration at the airport to cancel his permision to stay and he didn't have a re-entry permit.