Snake Queries

It's not a terribly good photo but this chap was wandering across our garden table during the early hours.

It seems he could be either: A wolf snake non-poisonous, Blue Krait very poisonous, Bridle snake non-poisonous.

Anyone got a better idea what else he might be and can confirm identification? He was about 60 Cm and very slim.

When we saw him he was just about to slither across my sons hand. (For the "kill anything" posters we left him alone and he went on his way).

This leads to another question: in the event of a snake bite does anyone know if there is a list of hospitals on Samui which carry stocks of various types snake serum and the type held?

Thanks Gator

post-28727-005754900 1278216151_thumb.jp

The Emergency room at BKK-Samui hospital has a poster up and carries some anti venoms, not sure about the other hospitals on the island but I assume they all have serums at hand. You will need a good ID of the snake for the anti venom to work.

The Emergency room at BKK-Samui hospital has a poster up and carries some anti venoms, not sure about the other hospitals on the island but I assume they all have serums at hand. You will need a good ID of the snake for the anti venom to work.

Limbos, many thanks for info.

If you get bitten, if possible, kill the snake and bring it with you.

It is a common tree snake. Harmless. Although if you are near the sea don't mistake it for a banded sea krait Deadly. The tree snake has spots that do not ring the whole body, only appearing to be stripped. Where as the Sea Krait amd Blue Land Krait are banded, and generally a more solid heavy set animal. Beware of any snake banded with a triangular cross section (sam liam in thai) as these are poisoness.

The tree snake is an agile gentle snake which will happily wrap arounf your hand or arm and go gor a stroll with you. It will continue it's mission once it is given a higher branch to climb onto.

Take Care.

It is a common tree snake. Harmless. Although if you are near the sea don't mistake it for a banded sea krait Deadly. The tree snake has spots that do not ring the whole body, only appearing to be stripped. Where as the Sea Krait amd Blue Land Krait are banded, and generally a more solid heavy set animal. Beware of any snake banded with a triangular cross section (sam liam in thai) as these are poisoness.

The tree snake is an agile gentle snake which will happily wrap arounf your hand or arm and go gor a stroll with you. It will continue it's mission once it is given a higher branch to climb onto.

Take Care.

Thanks Serpentine, I have a lot of tree snakes, mostly Green and Bronze but I've never seen one with these markings before!

Certainly the bands looked as though they went all the way round but we weren't disposed to pick it up and check it out! :D

Take Care.

It's certainly not a common tree snake!! :rolleyes:

http://www.siam-info...hrysopelea.html (Tree Snake)

http://www.siam-info...ticaudinae.html (Sea Krait) or (Bridle Snake)

I would leave all along anyway.

Cheers.

Edited by sevenhills

I would think the govt hospital in Nathon would also have anti-venin. I know for certain the one on Koh Phangan does.

I would think the govt hospital in Nathon would also have anti-venin. I know for certain the one on Koh Phangan does.

I know it's only a dream but as we live amongst poisonous creatures (not the in-laws :vampire:) wouldn't it be nice to have

published information as to what each hospital is supposed to have in the way of ant-venom? In the event of being bitten/stung it seems to be a bit of a lottery as to which hospital you choose and one that could cost you your life by wasting time going to the wrong one. Perhaps an information list that the Tourist Police could keep updated?

P.S. A really long shot, but does anyone know if there are statistics published regarding venomous bites on Samui, K.P. and Tao and the types of creature involved?

I dont think its a sea krait but another more harmless type I have had lots of these around the house.Ill check in my book when i get home in a few days.

As a working medic in the past in Thailand I have treated quite a few snake bites, now never from a cobra thankfully the worst being from a Malaysian pit viper.Most are from harmless varites that at best are midly venomous, most common bite is from pythons who get stood on when in long grass.

Sea kraits can and do bite people I have treated two victims in the past both survived thankfully sea kraits can also be a fairway inshore up to an elevation of 300 mtrs particulary when breeding.

Thailand does not have anti venom for sea snakes the nearest place is Australia and by the time its been airfreighted here theres a good chance the envenomated victim would be more likely dead

Other antivenom for landbased snakes cobras etc are here in Thailand but are not so easy to get when you need them.

Some of the advice on here is plain dangerous, NEVER try and capture a snake after its bitten you ! you may get bit again or worse still someone else will.

If you or someone else is bitten keep victim as still as you can , apply pressure by bandage if possible imobolise the limb or whole body and then seek help ASAP.

Better still if confronted with a snake such as a cobra rember they want to get away, give it the chance snakes will mostly always go down hill if possible when escaping.

Most phones have cameras now days so get a picture but never ever get as close to be in danger.

Snakes rock...

• 4 weeks later...

as far as i am aware, the nearest "poison control" centers r 'samui Inter' and Nathon....wether u manage to arive at one of these hospitals in time, with the right identification and right tourinquet application is unlikely... thus, the outcome being extremely bleak for anyone whom is unfortunate enough to get bitten....

The snake is NOT a sea Krait, (Laticauda), as the tail is the wrong shape.

At a glance it looks like a Krait, (Bungarus or similar), but I may be out, even at the family level.

Local field guides should solve the riddle easily.

We recently did courses in Africa and when I arrived, I was fairly clueless as to the ID's of most snakes. But within a few weeks of intensive fieldwork, visiting major collections and the like, I was able to identify all snakes, lizards and frogs found to the species level on sight.

We were then able to teach local snake catchers our methods and go to schools to do shows with Cobras and harmless snakes that look the same to lay people.

We also travel to Asia to do training on snakes, snake handling courses for people wishing to identify all the local venomous and non-venomous species, including Cobras, pythons and the like.

The good thing about the above poster, is that he did not try to kill the snake when he saw it. Globally, all snakes are the same in that they run from people if given half a chance.

So to avoid a bit, do nothing ... to get a bite, try to catch or kill the snake.

ALL THE BEST

Edited by Rooo
URLS removed as per forum rules.