Teaching Japanese In Thailand

bankei

Hi.

I am an Australian with a master's degree in Japanese (language). I am wondering if anyone would know of the chances of getting a Japanese language teaching job in Thailand, preferably in a university.

I am a native English speaker, but for some reason I would feel more comfortable teaching Japanese. It is probably the fact that I studied Japanese rather grew up learning it naturally and therefore know how to explain grammar etc which I couldn't do with English.

Thanks

Bankei

Hi.

I am an Australian with a master's degree in Japanese (language). I am wondering if anyone would know of the chances of getting a Japanese language teaching job in Thailand, preferably in a university.

I am a native English speaker, but for some reason I would feel more comfortable teaching Japanese. It is probably the fact that I studied Japanese rather grew up learning it naturally and therefore know how to explain grammar etc which I couldn't do with English.

Thanks

Bankei

In the Rajabhat Uni where my wife is working there is a Business English program that includes Japanese and English. The teacher is Japanese.

My guess is that similar programs would be up an running in other Universities, but as to wether the'll have a westerner instead of a japanese I dont know....

good luck

costas

Hi Bankei!

Instead of teaching at a university in Thailand, have you thought about teaching at

a language school in Japan? The pay is a higher in Japan as opposed to teaching in

Thailand. Furthermore, I think if you don't speak, read or write Thai... it would be difficult to teach at a univeristy.

Cheers!

Thanks guys

I have taught English in Japan briefly, but prefer the lifestyle in Thailand. I guess you are right, the hatai, about speaking Thai, as I would need to explain things. In the more advanced class I could get away with everything in Japanese though.

I wonder if there would be any courses in learning Japanese through an English medium - unlikely I imagine.

Thanks again.

But would a Thai want to learn Japanese from a farang no matter how good your Japanese is??

You lived in Japan so you know the mentality of people there, and I believe you know it's not easy to find a teaching position at languages schools there unless you are a white caucasian whether or not you're a native English speaker. I could be wrong but I'd imagine the same mentality applies to people here, and I don't know what qualifies one as a good Japanese teacher, but given the number of Japanese expats living in Thailand, I would imagine they can easily find someone to fill the post you're seeking employment with a native Japanese speaker (with a teaching license, perhaps).

Perhaps you can teach Japanese to farang students at schools like Berlitz where most of the students are expat gaijins?

Edited by Nordlys

^ Yeah but the problem is a lot of the Japanese here have baddish English.

You can get work here I've known Japanese (and I don't think Thais would have such a problem if you're a farang) people teach Japanese to Thai people or even farangs. And also the opportunity to teach Japanese workers here English (or their wives :o ). If you can pick up Thai so much the better as someone else mentioned. Not sure you can purely make a full-time living doing that right away, but it's certainly out there.

Edited by kenkannif

Perhaps you can teach Japanese to farang students at schools like Berlitz where most of the students are expat gaijins?

I forgot Berlitz and other language schools do not allow teachers to use English or any other language as a medium to teach other than than the language you're teaching...

Yeah but the problem is a lot of the Japanese here have baddish English.

Yes, right. So the question is, do Thais want to learn Japanese with English as a medium language?