Montenegro Asked To Review Thaksin's Residency

webfact

Can any Thai national apply for and get a Montenegran Passport ?

Or is it only Thais running from justice?

Do Montenegrans visiting/living in Thailand have to do border runs or are they exempt, like the Russians ?

:jap:

I assume only the Thais (or other nationals) who have a briefcase full of cash and promises of investment (and the financial clouth to back it up) can apply for Montenegrian citizenship...

On the "Russians": what makes you think the Russians don't have to do border runs over here? I can't believe that the Russians are treated any differenly/better than the rest of "us". Can anybody confirm this? Just out of curiosity, so to speak.

I have traveled with hundreds of Russians coming to Thailand. They all appear to go to "Visa on Arrival'" They are handed paperwork on the plane and they have to pay for a 15 day visa.

I have made about 7 visa runs and never once did I see a Russian national on the mini bus or coach I traveled on or any other vehicle at the border crossing.

I did meet a man from Liverpool who told me he had lived in Pattaya for years and he had NEVER done a visa run - Because - he had a Russian friend. He gave 1,000 baht to his friend and his passport and he "got" the visa extension done with the "batch" of Russian ones that were all processed "somewhere"?

I have also "heard" the Russian Govt. paid off the Thai Govt "allegedly" to basically not have to bother their nationals with this "ripoff/waste of time" that the rest have to suffer.

I could be completely wrong and imagined all this.......but since this is basically a "VISA" website - some one might know the real story.....:ph34r:

or have I opened a can of worms on this and started a new thread.....oh god.........:blink:

p.s. I have never seen an Indian national (suit salesman) on a visa run.......

Lonewolf , to clear up your confusion here is the info.

The Russians get a 30 day tourist visa, no VOA since 2007.

My ex is a russian woman, that makes my daughter half-russian, and they visit Thailand once in a while.

In the future, plz try get your info straight.

Edited by cyberia

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

photoverybig124904.jpg

Mubarak May Join Ex-Thailand PM Shinawatra in Montenegro

Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak can be granted asylum in Montenegro if he steps down prematurely, according to media reports in the Balkan country. Mubarak, who has been challenged by massive civil protests against his rule for more than 10 days now, has declared he wants to live in his fatherland until his death. He has not bowed to the pressure yet to resign before the expiration of his term in September 2010.

According to the press in Montenegro, however, it is very likely that Hosni Mubarak can be granted asylum there because one of the sons of the embattled Egyptian President, Gamal, is among the owners of Orascom Holding, a multi-national Egyptian corporation which signed a contract last year for the construction of tourist complexes with the Montenegrin government. What is more, Montenegro already has a precedent in providing refuge to exiled foreign leaders, as in 2010 when the former Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra, a Thai millionaire, who was brought down from power in 2006 by a military coup, received Montenegrin citizenship and is currently constructing a hotel complex on the St. Stefan island.

Egyptian business tycoon and majority owner of the Orascom Group, Naguib Sawiris, is among 19 powerful and influential Egyptian businessmen who are reported to have left the country as the civil unrest intensified.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=124904

Sofia Bulgaria News Agency - February 4, 2011

Mubarak To Seek Asylum in Montenegro?

Egypt’s President Hosni Mubarak is to seek asylum in Montenegro amid massive protests against his rule, the media in the tiny Balkans’ state has reported. Accordingly, Mubarak is to join the deposed Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who has received Montenegrin citizenship as the major investor in the country’s tourism. Last year, Montenegro’s government was heavily criticized over the scheme of “economic citizenship” to applicants who invest at least €500,000 in the country. It is only to "attract tycoons and corrupt politicians on the run", the opposition claimed when the concept was first introduced.

Meanwhile, the former Thai PM Shinawatra, who is wanted under the corruption charges in his home country, was granted Montenegrin citizenship, the Novinite reported. Accordingly, the millionaire who was brought down from power in 2006 by a military coup is currently building a luxury resort on the elite St. Stefan island.

As the Egypt’s President’s son Gamal Mubarak is one of the owners of the Orascom Holding, a corporation contracted for the construction of tourist complexes with the Montenegrin government, the local media speculates Mubarak is to be yet another ousted leader who is to find his safe haven in Montenegro.

Continues:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8097213-mubarak-to-seek-asylum-in-montenegro

As if Hosni Mubarak, Vice President of Egypt since 1975 and President since 1981 of a country of 80+ million people would even consider for a split second to seek asylum in a dwarf state like Montenegro with less than 700.000 people.

LaoPo

Wow, that ought to put a nail in Montenegro's attempt to become any closer to Europe...

Why?

Because EU is not a safe haven for criminals.

Is Montenegro the only country in the EU that doesn't extradite their citizen?

FYI: No extradition doesn't mean that criminals don't have to face justice.

Montenegrin citizen accused of a crime in a foreign country will have face the court in Montenegro and if found guilty get their penalty in Montenegro. I don't see where the EU should have a problem with this.

look at this example:

New York murderer sentenced to 12 years in Montenegrin jail

So according to you Thaksin will go on trial in Montenegro.

NOT