Goa Or Boracay?

I am in discussions with some friends about going on holiday next March 2011.

We are in a bit of a quandry whether we shall go to Goa or Boracay.

Do any of you have any up and downy suggestions for both places?

Thanks,

Patsycat

A neighbour went to Goa 2 years ago and was unimpressed. Said he would not go back if the trip was free. My brother, who lives in Borneo and travels through asia a lot, loves Boracay. He stayed at the Boracay Beach Club. He rates it one of the best places he has been for a holiday.

Depends exactly what you expect from your holiday and what you want to do.

I was in Goa last year and i was in Boracay a couple of months ago. I wouldn't return to Goa. I was staying in budget accomodation and i found it to be substandard. Goa generaly was poorly kept, dirty and untidy but then it's India-what do you expect??!! If you stay at top end hotels and use their beaches then i'm sure the experience would be better.

Boracay on the other hand was great. Beautifull beach, can get crowded and not as cheap as Goa if that is an issue for you. Loads to do on Boracay, water sports and nightlife. Remember it's a small island so limited for tours and exploring.

Definitely,

don't waste your time with Goa

enjoy the time in Boracay, or even go to Palawan, its a good choice as well.

I was in Goa & will go never again.

Philippines, yes definitely a holiday worth.

Goa maybe was a good place 20-30 years ago, when still the Hippies where going to there.

Another point is: if you're fancy to meet many ex-soldiers from Israel, then its a good destination for you.

Goa is one of the Hot-Spots to go on vacation, when they graduate from military service.

You will find there a lot of those "Partyfreaks", with trouble and lots of mad men and women. Koh Phangan is their second Spot.

with your question, Goa or Boracay, definitely Boracay.

Very hard to give advice when you dont' specify what type of holiday/attractions you desire.

However, limited to the general beach and marine experience I am going to agree with the above and state that Boracay is much better. The beaches themselves are much nicer and cleaner (very soft white sand compare to more coarse darker sand), the water is cleaner and the water based activties on Boracay and much more diverse. (Though I have not been back to Goa for 6 yrs so perhaps it has improved). As others have noted the nightlife is better but it is a really small island ....which may be a plus for some.

However, if you wanted to do it as part of a larger trip then the opportunities to explore, travel around and check out places around the area ,such as Kerala state in the south, give Goa a plus which Boracay does not have to the same extent. Some parts of Panay Island are interesting but a trip to other parts of the Philippines would be more worthwhile (the example of Palawan above).

Thanks everyone. Seems Goa may be out of the picture!! But will have to check with the others.

It is still a pie in the sky thing at the moment.

Well you posted a question and the answers were overwhelmingly dont go to Goa!

I am not really a beach guy but spent 5 days at Boracay Island and had a great time, The water is very clear, put your head under water open eyes you can see fish swiming around.

The hotel was great more like a motel the room about 50 feet from beach. We asked one of the staff to buy us some prawns and tuna from the market and the kitchen cooked it up. Tipped them some pesos and everyone happy.

Go in late Oct. and early Nov. there low season, Christmas and beyond a mad house from what everyone said.

I am sending one of my friends to Thaivisa to read this. Thanks.

I just wanted to wiggle my toes in the sand anyway!!

Let me know if you go and I will give you a few details about the ins and outs.

Well Boracay its going to be then by all advice and accounts. I may need a break at that time of year from the vicissitudes of Dublin weather, dominated, as it is ultimately by that blasted Atlantic. I may even travel with that strange cat person, Patsycats...

Hi Patsycats, first time logging in to TV in a long time; surprised they still have my account...

XXX

Kieran

I am sending one of my friends to Thaivisa to read this. Thanks.

I just wanted to wiggle my toes in the sand anyway!!

Let me know if you go and I will give you a few details about the ins and outs.

Thanks, I will. I have been googling alot - but would be nice to have some info on hotels etc. They all look lovely!! Which i guess is normal, no one would put an ugly pic of their hotel on there!!!

Travelers' Choice 2010

Top 10 Beach and Sun Destinations in Asia

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TCDestinations-cBeachSun-g2

#1-Boracay, Philippines

#2-Maldives

#3-Koh Lanta, Thailand

#4-Khao Lak, Thailand

#5-Koh Phangan, Thailand

#6-Koh Samui, Thailand

#7-Miyakojima, Japan

#8-El Nido, Philippines

#9-Ishigaki, Japan

#10-Phu Quoc, Vietnam

Edited by ai kwaan

Hello Patsycat:

Been to Boracay several times. And here's a few things you might want to consider:

- Travel: are you air sick or land sick? Reason: the airstrip on Caticlan Island, your jump off point to Boracay proper, is a short one and planes usually bank and descend hard. If that isn't to your liking, get on a plane to Kalibo City, then take the 1.25 hr van ride to the Caticlan ferry. Ferry ride to Boracay Island is 15 minutes.

- Month: late March to May are thoroughly busy seasons so expect higher room rates and more people per square meter; book early. Also expect much sun, sand, and clear seas, wild full moon beach parties and other activities to keep you busy.

- Hotels: too many to mention, decide on a budget and post, please. I can suggest a low, medium and high end place.

- Stations: the main beach area is 4 km long and are informally divided into "Stations". When booking a hotel, have them tell you which station they're on so you know when to get off the ferry boats (bancas).

- Island: west side is beaches, east side is mostly diving, snorkeling, or sailing.

- F&B: a little more expensive than mainland fare. There are an almost infinite variety. Drink bottled water.

- Shopping/souvenirs: yes, and again are a little more expensive than mainland prices.

- Photography: I've shot several gigabytes worth of photos, be prepared.

• 3 months later...

Goa is very big and the (very annoying) Israeli party scene can easily be avoided as they are limited to certain beaches.

Boracay is small, has crap food, packed everywhere, loads of tourists, noisy Korean tour groups.

There are much better places in both countries. I'd say 2-3 days in Boracay is the maximum I could endure, not much more in Goa either.