What Do You Love About Pattaya?

flyingfox

Love? I love the memories of when it was a great (fun, relaxed, inexpensive, uncrowded, no worries/pressure) place; memories from the 80s and 90s.

Now? Nothing. Sorry.

This one of the reasons to love the place. I too thought the 80's downtown was great. Like you, not so keen now, so move East to the lake, still have access to everything you may need in town and chill again !!!

I love the way the city's "leaders" can delude themselves with grand ambitions without the slightest hint of irony...like the latest grand plan I read in the local press about Pattaya wanting to host World Expo! Can we finish Thappraya Rd? No. Can we clean up the beaches and get rid of the rats? Not really. But we can surely host World Expo! Yeah right, like we can turn this into a "family oriented world class resort". I love the way these guys dream...whistling.gif

I wouldn't call it love but fact is that it's one of the very few cities in Thailand where there are several places where you can find a decent selection of expensive good quality hand tools readily available

Sorry guys but I couldn't think of anything more possitive than that...

This thread has seen no love for 1 week so to update....

Love that home rehab care is so widely available and for around 200 baht per person per day. Each caregiver works 12 hour shifts. 400 baht per day total + street cart meals.

I have a friend who is paraplegic and he gets a subsidy from his home country to pay all his care expenses.

Then he can wheel himself or with his caregiver to beach road with ease. There are dropped sidewalks for his battery powered chair to mount and he claims the beach road is wide enough for him to get out and about.

Can't say the same about the rest of the city which is not handicap friendly...

I only go to Pattaya with the family maybe 2-3 times per year so i'm not a frequent visitor.

But it always strikes me how not Thai Pattaya is. If that is positive or not is up to the eye of the beholder I suppose

I only go to Pattaya with the family maybe 2-3 times per year so i'm not a frequent visitor.

But it always strikes me how not Thai Pattaya is. If that is positive or not is up to the eye of the beholder I suppose

How is it not Thai? Seems pretty Thai to me. Maybe not the best of Thailand, but certainly Thai.

How is it not Thai? Seems pretty Thai to me. Maybe not the best of Thailand, but certainly Thai.

Don't get me wrong, note that I don't say that this automatically makes Pattaya bad or that I think that the night life is bad or negative. I don't mind the option of having it there and don't see much bad in it. In fact, it's helping tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Thais every year. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to come of course. My comment is not about that part at all

Not Thai... How to explain it.

Culture is mixed up -> The Thais are a bit influenced by the 100 other cultures there, some of it / them are blended in and affect how the Thais are culturally - more than in other parts of the country. Other parts are still very Thai

Tradition is mixed up and is followed less than in other parts of the country. We can say that Pattaya is more modern and the rest of Thailand is more old-fashioned.

Old Thai culture and traditions are not upheld as much as in other parts of Thailand.

People aren't behaving as much Thai -> also Thais blend in more of non-Thai behaviour.

I thnk this is expected and don't automatically say that it is bad, but I feel that it is noticeable. Outside influence does show and it would be strange if it didn't

Don't get me wrong, note that I don't say that this automatically makes Pattaya bad or that I think that the night life is bad or negative. I don't mind the option of having it there and don't see much bad in it. In fact, it's helping tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Thais every year. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to come of course. My comment is not about that part at all

Culture is mixed up -> The Thais are a bit influenced by the 100 other cultures there, some of it / them are blended in and affect how the Thais are culturally - more than in other parts of the country. Other parts are still very Thai

Tradition is mixed up and is followed less than in other parts of the country. We can say that Pattaya is more modern and the rest of Thailand is more old-fashioned.

Old Thai culture and traditions are not upheld as much as in other parts of Thailand.

People aren't behaving as much Thai -> also Thais blend in more of non-Thai behaviour.

I thnk this is expected and don't automatically say that it is bad, but I feel that it is noticeable. Outside influence does show and it would be strange if it didn't

agree with this 100%

agree with this 100%

im with you on that one

what you say is correct

Simple.

#1: The girls. The most beautiful/friendly girls in the world

#2: Drinking beer at the outdoor bars and getting drunk in the hot Thailand weather.

#3: People watching

#4: cheap hotels

#5: drinking beer on the beach

#5: Not having to drink and drive. Pay 10 baht for a baht bus to take you home.

Edited by Rimmer
Specifics of prostitution