Frontline

-How much do people usually pay for frontline?

-Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to buy it in Chiang Mai? A shop quoted me 250b yesterday for Frontline "Plus". It sounded a little steap (farang discount) so I didn't buy. All the other shops I checked were sold out though.

-Are those little brown bottles effective? I am assuming they are a frontline copy?

Edited by blakegeee

Frontline for a big dog: 295 baht, medium dog 275 baht if I recall well. Maybe at the Passoosath Nam Ping they sell it a little cheaper, but not much. You can get it pretty much at every vet clinic and petshop.

Alternatives:

Revolution.

These little brown bottles with 1 cc liquid, which you need to mic with water (forgot how much) and then rinse the dog with it. Forgot the name, forgot the price.

Ivermectin injections every 1 or 2 months depending on the dose.

Call in pest control to have your house and garden sprayed. Yukkie stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I have a small dog, a shitzhu, so maybe 250b wasn't so outrageous. We called a vet and they quoted 150 so they must be using those little brown bottles, and I think that was the price for them applying it. Doesn't sound too bad if the stuff works as well as Frontline. Any idea if it is as good? Sounds like Frontline may be able to sell more expensive due to its convenience.

Are the Ivermectin Injections supposed to be good? From reading another post, it sounds like its a cheaper option than Frontline as well. But are they effective, and are there side-effects?

I'd prefer not to have to spray the house and garden, besides, she could still pick them up somewhere else anyways, right?

• 2 weeks later...

These little brown bottles with 1 cc liquid, which you need to mic with water (forgot how much) and then rinse the dog with it. Forgot the name, forgot the price.

Is this what You are talking about? Have someone use this before?

post-49774-005819200 1279771690_thumb.jp

I asked me vet about these cheap little brown bottles and she didn't recommend them as they are obviously not properly tested or anything.

I asked me vet about these cheap little brown bottles and she didn't recommend them as they are obviously not properly tested or anything.

I wasn't talking about these bottles as it says on the labels it needs to be dropped in between the shoulder blades.

If I remember well the stuff I was talking about is called Bayticol which needs to be mixed with water and after a bath applied to the dog as a rinse. Poison all the same.

In answer to Blakegee's post #3, if there aren't too many ticks then ivermectin injection works okay, same as Frontline. Also poison, but I haven't heard of side-effects yet. Except one case where the owner overdosed the dog (he got ivermectin against mange, which is a higher dose than against ticks or heartworm); a very unpleasant sight. So far I know the dog pulled through, though.

If there are hardly any ticks in your garden and/or house, then normally just ivermectin or Frontline is enough. But as you say, she still can pick up ticks outside even with these preventions, but the chance she gets a tick disease (or more than one) reduces.

She was due for her heartworm shot which is Ivermectin anyways. So she got that which will take care of ticks for 1 month and then we will start her on Frontline. About a week after she got the shot, the house and her was suddenly crawling with many tiny ticks. The wife picked at the dog a lot everyday and we even found a few just by sweeping the floor. Now there aren't many left already so we must have gotten lucky with only a small litter of ticks hatching. I have heard that they lay 1000-3000 eggs/babies at a time! Good thing that she got her injection when she did or many ticks would have had their way with her.

• 4 months later...

I use it and it works.......

Hi everyone,

this may not be the place for it, but as you are all dog owners in Chiang Mai, I was wondering if you could give me some advice regarding your vet of choice/pet stores/boarding facilities.

My husband and I will be staying in Chiang Mai for about 3 months and decided to bring our dog with us. She is a 25kg weimaraner. We are currently staying at a guest house, but would also appreciate any advice you could give us regarding accommodations that accept pets (preferably a condo or serviced apartment).

Thanks,

Gaby