Air France

ged

AIr France have some good deals Manchester to BKK via Paris CDG in October, more than 100 gbp less than my usual Emirates flights, they are using A343,s for these flights.

Has anybody flown this route ? I am interested in the entertainment system and seat comfort,pitch in particular.

Thanks guys.

You might want to check this out decide if its worth the saving.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/af.htm

I last flew them a few years back (not on BKK route) and now try to avoid because of the "superior" attitude of the cabin crew, a little like BA but with Gallic knobs on. Others describe them as the Ryanair of long haul. As with all airlines its a personal opinion, you've got mine !

Flew them LHR To Rio. On the way out no personal TV's in the head rests, on the way back we had them.

Food was ok, but I found the cabin crew not very friendly, and when I asked for one more glass of wine, he nearly bit

my head off.

Never again!

Obnoxious crew, poor service, crappy food.....

flew with them in March CDG - BKK

+ direct, self service drinks, upper deck very quiet and private

- small seats (wide), old grumpy flight attendants, limited IFE (compared to UAE carriers), normally pricy

But for the rest nothing wrong, in march they were flying 747 though, A340 is newer so may be different experience

I flew with AF a couple of times from South Africa few years back. They were OK, buy have to agree with the "superior " attitude thing. I noticed the same with many other European airlines flying from Africa. I felt that the service was not at par with the service I got once i connected from Europe. I think the explosion of airline business in the Middle East will help make tickets affordable and service better if not already, especially in neglected sectors of the world. It was pathetic to pay $2000-$3000 (economy) to fly to Europe in old planes from Kenya, Kampala or Dar Es Salaam. Basically KLM, BA, Lufthansa and AF contolled the business and charged us whatever they pleased. I don't remember buying special fare tickets in the 80' and 90's from Africa.

Personally, I find the service and the prices of emerging airline companies such as Oman Air, Qatar and Emirates much better. ( It doen't hurt to talk to young and good looking international air hostesses either, especially when they serve you free booze:) The E-ticket price,food and service of Thai Airways from Tokyo was fantastic and they used brand new A330's like most Middle Eastern companies.

Max2010

I've flown them a couple of times in Business from Bangkok to Edinburgh, via Paris CDG. In flight service was excellent, but CDG for check in (on my return I stayed in Paris for a few days), was pathetic, and took over 45 minutes, (in Business), because only two counters, (out of 5?) were open. For their "hub" you would expect much better. When I complained their management seemed unable to resolve the situation, but blamed it on their shift rotas. Also boarding did not recognise the usual facilities afforded to Business Class travellers, and it was a real scrum. As a virtual state airline no one really gives a flying <deleted>. This was three or four years ago, so it may be different now, but I doubt it.

Once, Geneva - CDG - Bangkok and back.

Going was great, good food, wine, movies etc.

Coming back was a nightmare. I specifically asked for an aisle seat and they stuck me at the window with two great big hulking, French rugby player types beside me. They promptly fell asleep before we left Bangkok. Was quite an experience to clamber over them to get to the loo, or just to walk around. Luckily I took my shoes off and daintily walked over their thighs - while they slept!! One of them gave me his number!!

Then, when we got to Paris I realised I had only an hour to get my connection to Geneva. So my dream of having a nice long leasurely coffee and ciggie went out the window. But I got home, in one piece.

Wasn't Air France's fault, but did find the staff snooty. Even though they did give me all the wine i wanted. Probably in the hope that i would fall asleep!!

I've flown them a couple of times in Business from Bangkok to Edinburgh, via Paris CDG. In flight service was excellent, but CDG for check in (on my return I stayed in Paris for a few days), was pathetic, and took over 45 minutes, (in Business), because only two counters, (out of 5?) were open. For their "hub" you would expect much better. When I complained their management seemed unable to resolve the situation, but blamed it on their shift rotas. Also boarding did not recognise the usual facilities afforded to Business Class travellers, and it was a real scrum. As a virtual state airline no one really gives a flying <deleted>. This was three or four years ago, so it may be different now, but I doubt it.

Due to business being based in Paris I do most of my flying with AF and never use the check-in desks, but the few times I had to drop a bag I used the business desk so it is there

I used the Business Class section check in, but as I said, only two out of the 5 were manned, meaning that the queue for Business Class check-in had about 15 people waiting in it, and it took 45 minutes to check in, which I do not consider acceptable. Having the issue pointed out to them elicited no improvement, but reinforced their lackadaisical attitude.

• 3 weeks later...

flown with them a few times. tbh, I couldn't complain - flights were on time and no dramas but nothing I can recall to make me recommend them. it was 5+ years ago though, ie before their fatal flight from brazil.

I'm not a huge fan of airfrance/KLM - unlike many of the arab airlines, they very rarely (if at all) offer flexible tickets (date changes, cancellation refunds etc).

their prices are usually higher than they should be given the level of service, although they do occasionally offer a bargain.

I would fly with them again but only if the price was right.

Edited by game4shame

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add to something I wrote about recently on KLM, but I cannot find the piece, and there doesn't appear to be an effctive search on the forum that I can locate.

Just flown KLM via Amsterdam to Edinburgh on Business, and whilst this has been pretty good previously, this time the transfer at Schipol was abysmal, and the check-in at Edinburgh from the handbook of "how not to be in the customer service industry". The new seats in Business are fully extendable, but they are at too steep an angle to make them truly comfortable.

I'd welcome hearing from anyone with a recommendation for a good alternative airline on Business that flies from Bangkok to Edinburgh, (and avoids Heathrow). Tried Luftansa in the past, and they were OK, but the slip up for all these European airlines seems to be the transfer in Europe, during which there is no particular acknowledgement/priority given to Business Class.

Last year I went via Hong Kong on Cathay, which was terrific, (especially as I was upgraded to First Class on all 4 sectors), but it's via Hong Kong, and via London, so the onward from Heathrow on B***** A** is an added irritant one could easily live without, certainly then, and more so now.

Edited by samtam