Missing Money

regal

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiz, actually slavery is very much alive and kicking even today. It has taken a different approach now and sort of got blended in to be legal in many different forms and not so wide open and obvious as in past generations.

A good example : In america you actually are slaves to the USA government bound by working and payin just about every penny you have into some form of tax. Lets put it this way, if your lucky to pocket 25 % of your earnings into the bank you still pay interest tax, you invest, you pay tax, and so on and so forth.

The only way to avoid having to pay taxes on your savings is pocket your money in your own home. That way they cannot touch it. It is the only area today that is left virtually untouched and unreachable by the government.

Yet one is now being forced to put money in any bank to show proof you have this much income for services being rendered such as gettin credit or some loan or some other things that require for them to take a peek at or they will deny you. Just like in Thailand, they want to see you have the money or you don't get this or that whatever it is you want in Thailand.

So the Governments are trying to set things up so that they can see what you have income wise one way or another. If they don't see it and they find out some other way they come right back at you and accuse you of doing money laundering or dealing in dope or stealing it or whatever. The government does not want people to surprise them or for them to get rich at least in America that much I know of. They want you completely eventually at their mercy.

So who are the ones that put us in this position. The people or the Government. It would be interesting to see how many take a vote on this here.

Daveyo

• 3 weeks later...

Ya it's unfortunate that you left the cash with him.It was probably to tempting so forgive that, but listen to yourself"communication is a problem,I don't speak enough thai", you want a translater.... jesus,a lonley heart you must be.............he got a new girl,,,,,,,,I was under the impression that women in general have more practical sence than men but your as daft as the love sick male punters that marry the bar girl ,go to the bike shop buy the house and bar in Pattaya and then wonder why there on the street pennyless moments later...............snap out of it you sound intellegent use it!!!

Sorry the gender mix is wrong here but I cannot resist commenting on the problems of relationships / trust and cash are not a Thai problem but a human problem and one of poor judgement . I know I have made many poor judgements over the years with different nationalities .I describe my self as the type lucky in love and unlucky in the court , the money is stolen up front or at the end the result is the same.

Then some years back I met a beautiful Thai woman who is without a doubt the nicest person I have ever met any where in the world . We started or relationship many years ago with limited trust and slowly we earned each others total trust , when ever I was abroad working ( a lot) the joint bank account was always healthier when I returned . She made me save and controlled my spending not for her but for our family and our house, not her family . Before marriage the family was spoken to and apart from small family gifts to her farmer father every one clearly understood I will not be the farang ATM . In fact when the family visit they bring small gifts or my father in law a small plant that he puts in the garden for me ..plus they have given us a plot of land in the village for a house some time.

They know I work hard and send the kids to good schools

all cash goes to wife kids, house and little is wasted ,this is respected and we have no problem .

This cannot be the only story like this a happy man with a beautiful wife: beautiful inside and out and two great kids and supportive ,non invasive in laws.

It's totally clear what you said rcalsop.How much money would it take? How long would that happiness last? Money can't buy the sort of happiness! It always reminds me. You guys can't judge all people from the one experience.There is another bright side still.

Deb

"Shemmy" I enjoyed your comments which are bang on. This is not a problem with a male thing but a Thai thing.

I think it very nieve that anyone male or female would give a Thai so much money and feel safe in the knowledge that he or she will do the correct thing with it.

Thai's do not have the sort of money we Westerners take for granted, the few that do would not be interested in any Westerner what ever shape or form.

The ATM comments are about it.

"erco" I disagreed with your comments which are totally not true.You can't generalise and think that every Thai is what you see.I try to assess each individual on a case-to-case basis.Making sweeping generalisations about a group of people is not something responsibly educated people do.

Deb

Deb, I agree of what you say but I think erco meant for the most part on how Thais look upon a farang. It is no secret so to speak, that when a farang goes to any asian country, many look at them as ATM machines. Also those meaning Thais or any asian nationality) that are well off, true they have the dough, and looking at a farang >>>money is not going to be one of their top issues.

Yes case by case is the correct way to assess and suss out the situation, but sadly for the most part only a very few will look beyond the wallet issue.

That is my opinion. Now you might look at it differently. So I was just wondering Deb, are you Thai????

Tiger here ( my dog) seems to think so. She is excited!!!!!!! B):D

Daveyoti :o

Daveyo, perhaps you should rephrase that, "I would hope that what erco meant was..." Deb is spot on, and also I think it depends on the Thai people you know, if you hang out in bars etc (and I would include most tourist spots in this) then the kinds of Thai people who flock to these places would, most likely, be the ones looking for a walking atm. I know many lovely Thai people who wouldn't think of ripping off a friend, and I also know many awful ones who would rip off their mother given a chance. But this is true everywhere and I don't think you can apply these broad generalizations to Thai people alone. If it were otherwise, why would there be so many conmen in the West as well???

I find that to stereotype nationalities is fine but to stereotype the individuals is misleading and unfair . Much depends on your own mind set and approach if you treat people with respect and fairness in general it is returned . No I do not have rose coloured glasses nor am I niave I have worked abroad as an expat for many years 9 in Morocco , 4 in Bangladesh , and now home in Thailand . I am mainly involved in HRD in a Thai owned company and have in depth experience at work and in my personal life of peoples behaviour patterns . I have left cash , passports , and papers in Thai Taxi`s when struggling with the kids arriving back at home , the driver returned from the far side of Bkk to Rangsit to return them some hours later refusing a reward , my nieghbours working class Thai have paid water bills and acted as unpaid security for our house whilst we have travelled and our nieghbour hood is safe secure and friendly ,with me being the crazy farang who works in the sun cutting his little patch of grass on a Sunday ,stopped only by a Thai nieghbour bringing a can of cold beer and a cigarette. A newly planted papaya tree damaged by two of the nieghbours cats fighting was replaced next day without comment.

My mother 78 visits from UK and the nieghbours pay her respect and note that I do also .

I suffer no rip offs in fact frequently the reverse. The only people who I avoid in general are my own country men who have embarrased me with their behaviour and attitudes both social and business all over the world.

I have had no problems with officials and beaurocrats in any country they have always been helpfull and kind apart that is from the Brits and the Americans who take the stance the rest of the world is full of liitle people and idiots.

Do I lead a charmed life ,no but I treat people they way I wish to be treated .

Unfortunately,sbk and rcalsop,some people came to Thailand and spent their times only in bars or most tourist places seeing some money hungers, who are a few among 65 million Thai people, over there and later they judged that this is most part on how Thais look upon a farang - sadly.

Deb

To Deb

I stand by my comments whole heartedly. It may seem wrong to Generalise about 60 odd million people but I am afraid in my experience, in my own country with regard to Thais living in England and certainly here in Thailand it always seems to be the case where money is GOD.

I have lived here for 4 years and have heard every story, mostly sad stories, regarding most situations immaginable. If you do not laugh at the nievity of people you would dispair of the human race. to this day I am not sure who I feel for the most, the gullable "Farang" or the cold hearted money grabbing Thai.

When I say I have lived in Thailand 4 years I mean I have also travelled to most destinations Tourist and non Tourist. Last week I was at MBK (BKK)having coffee when 3 Universitie students sidled upto me after much giggling and asked if I would buy a mobile phone for them, they then asked me which one of them I would like for 3 hours.

By the way are you Thai Deb?

You don't have to be in bars or at the go go places or in any parlor my friends.

To one of you, you are awful lucky to have great neighbors who look out for you and is that friendly. Very hard to find anywhere in this world the way it is going now.

I once was just sitting at a restaurant, thirsty from the heat, and drinking my Ice Tea one afternoon, and indeed was approached by girls trying to strike up some conversation with me and one of them too asked if i would buy her a mobile phone, and I told her no way buy it yourself, and she literally cried right on the spot and pouted in front of her friends and acted childish. I finished my drink and left after paying for it. Oh, they also tried to tack on their drinks on my tab, and I said, sorry, this is dutch, you pay your way and I pay my way. You should have seen the look on their faces. Two out of the three did not have any money to pay for their drinks which was beer, so the third girl ended up broke paying not only for herself but for her friends. That was the last I saw of them.

I don't know outside of Bangkok in the burbs yet, but I suspect it might be a bit worse with them flocking to me like a hord of birds. My wife gave me some warnings to that effect. Remains to be seen.

Daveyoti

I find that to stereotype nationalities is fine but to stereotype the individuals is misleading and unfair . Much depends on your own mind set and approach if you treat people with respect and fairness in general it is returned . No I do not have rose coloured glasses nor am I niave I have worked abroad as an expat for many years 9 in Morocco , 4 in Bangladesh , and now home in Thailand . I am mainly involved in HRD in a Thai owned company and have in depth experience at work and in my personal life of peoples behaviour patterns . I have left cash , passports , and papers in Thai Taxi`s when struggling with the kids arriving back at home , the driver returned from the far side of Bkk to Rangsit to return them some hours later refusing a reward , my nieghbours working class Thai have paid water bills and acted as unpaid security for our house whilst we have travelled and our nieghbour hood is safe secure and friendly ,with me being the crazy farang who works in the sun cutting his little patch of grass on a Sunday ,stopped only by a Thai nieghbour bringing a can of cold beer and a cigarette. A newly planted papaya tree damaged by two of the nieghbours cats fighting was replaced next day without comment.

My mother 78 visits from UK and the nieghbours pay her respect and note that I do also .

I suffer no rip offs in fact frequently the reverse. The only people who I avoid in general are my own country men who have embarrased me with their behaviour and attitudes both social and business all over the world.

I have had no problems with officials and beaurocrats in any country they have always been helpfull and kind apart that is from the Brits and the Americans who take the stance the rest of the world is full of liitle people and idiots.

Do I lead a charmed life ,no but I treat people they way I wish to be treated .

Thank you for this contribution. I was delighted to read of your experiences. It is mostly an attitude thing I think.

Hey Deb, I know you being a woman and all, but how about giving me a break here. I am a man, so put yourself in my shoes for a moment in your mind. You are in some restaurant thirsty from the heat and all, and you go and get yourself some Ice Tea. Now you are minding your own business am I right?????? Next thing you know you got 3 girls trying to strike up a conversation with you, which by the way you are being nice to them etc. So they sit with you for the time, and they order some beers for themselves. Now would you be obligated to pay for their beers??????

Next thing you know they are asking you to buy them a mobile phone. You don't know these girls from shiola to someplace in Africa, so are you going to say yes OK I will buy you a phone??????? Then when you say no then this girl raises a sob sob story on you. In their so called efforts to save face. Heck I am saving my face from being an outright fool!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now you want to leave so they too get up to leave with you. Now you are at the cashier, paying for your Ice Tea, and then the cashier says to you that the beers are included in your bill. When you say no, they pay for their own, what is the cashier supposed to do. Well, now you pay for your Ice Tea and your done.

So now that your back to being a woman Deb, come down to earth and be real and re-consider your last post. You are the one sticking up for the girls because of your estrogen. Hey I am not knocking you down, but for pete's sake you are being very unrealistic in saying I am wrong of what I did to protect my interests, and besides, I am a married man.

They came to me, I did not go to them. Ok, and this is in a regular restaurant. So if you being a girl, and 3 guys come to you and drink with you and then put their tabs of bill upon your shoulders, what would you do????????

Me go home, ha, better you think again who is to grow up.

Daveyoti. :o:DB)

I hate it when someone insults my morals and intelligence making me look like the bad guy when I had nothing to do with it in the first place.

To Deb and Flugufrelsarinn

I have lived here for 4 years and have enjoyed it immensely, I believe I will enjoy the next 4 years. I have great nieghbours Farang mostly and know some lovely Thai people, but I am also a realist.

Please note I did state that I have been to tourist and non tourist locations, you seem preoccupied with the Bar scene and the prostitutes.

By the way they did not get their phone or drink, which they obviously wanted.

I assume you are both Thai ladies sticking up for your own which is most admirable. But you have a bad name and it is a name which will stick for my lifetime at least.

Use them as they TRY to use you (he he).

Prostitution? in the U.K.Well as as a expert on this matter (not from a Johns point of view) but from having the misfortune to work in big cities after dark, yes legally.

There is plenty of it but as an expert on looking at these slags I am convinced I am better looking than these smackheads.

Doc. If you don't believe me ask ###### he has had the pleasure of my company, of course only on a business basis.

I am going out now.

erco

I am proud that you have " had many experiences living here ". No doubt there are some locals who consider you a " walking wallet " where you have been to. But being badmouthing to the Thais like you have been is tantamount to creating a hundred enemies. You can not live here without a majority of Thais,unless you leave and will not return.

sbk is right,watch out!!! You forgot where you are. This is Thailand not your country. Let me tell you one thing ; even if you did not intend but your comments are sensitive for the Thais. It should be printed and bring down to police, it is most likely that you will be charged at least. Now your comments have been seen by many Thais.

ANY adverse comments about the Royal Family is a NO NO....and uninformed dribble is nearly as bad. Shemmy hangs on a thread

Edited by dr_Pat_Pong

Careful , fellas, careful here. This is the world news of BBC, we can at least express ourselves, and lets expand our horizons a bit here to allow comments without prejudice.

We all have to live with each other whether the person is broke next door or a racist (ack cannot spell right today) as long as a person has a tongue and two hands to speak, hey go right ahead and say it.

Speaking is one thing, physically doing something is another. Words sure sometimes can hurt, but for the most part it is on the highway to heaven. The physical part is on the highway to oblivion. So, that is what makes society today in such a confucious state of debate with each not knowing what is really going on and many of us are like the three blind mice who are trying to be nice yet are having a hard time finding that spice >>>>> Huh?????? :o

Me too confused, hehehehehehe :D

Ahhhhhh, time for a glass of cherry wine to sip it and savor the taste!!!!!

Daveyoti Let freedom ring its bells for the world.

Daveyo, think you had some of that cherry wine before you posted that last thread!

No argument there sbk...methinks Dave had a B I G serve. He indicated that he was about to take a small one for his health and well being, but his posting was rather more indicative of a man who had had a much earlier start than that.

:o:DB)B) My posting privileges are removed when I am that boozed.