How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

Mario2008

anyway regarding the birth certificate.

If i move the child to Pattaya , you think that i can put my name as the father here, or is better to just do it where she born?

I will go to Banglamung office and ask, but i will like to know if is something that they can do or not.

Thanks

I actually understand about how to legitimize a child.

But what is need to put my name in the birh certificate? Is it something more easy?

in the birth certificate of my daghter at the moment there is only the name of the mother, since i did not even know about it before about she....

what i have to do in order to put my name in the birth certificate?

thanks

I would contact the amphur where the child was born and see what can be done. Normally a birth certificate is not easy to change.

But the important thing is that you legitimize the child and that the legitimization is recorded at the amphur.

today my girlfriend went to the amphr and they ask:

copy of dna test

copy of my passport

my name in thai

we provide what they ask, but after they say that everything have to be translated in thai and they need autentification of embassy bangkok (i suspect they refer to thai ministrey of foreing affairs in bangkok)

i also ask a cople of quotation for get the parental right via the court, 1 was 80.000 thb and another 1 was 55.000 still looking if i can find something cheaper.

they actually told me also that since i live in Pattaya we can go to court in Chonburi and not where the baby was born, is it correct?

thanks for your help

It maybe cheaper to get a lawyer where the baby is registered in the blue house book I went to the Family Court in Prachinburi to get me registered as the father of my son the lawyer cost me 10000 baht and 1000 for an interpreter

You must tell the lawyer that the child's mother is not contesting your claim to be the father and also remember just by getting registered as the father still does not give you any custodial rights over the child

I was also told it had to be done where the child is registered in the blue house book because after you have finished in the court you have to register the fact that you are now the father at the ampher of the blue book

I believe that if you get parental rights over the child or not depends on if the mother contest that or not. She can object to you getting parental rights, but if she doesn't you will get it automatically.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mario, you're always so helpful. My fiance just had her k1 visa interview today, and she was given a 221g (administrative processing) they want her to amend the birth certificate of her son.. she wrote my name, we aren't married (will marry in the USA), the son is not biologically mine. She cannot remember the father's name and does not have contact with him so the embassy said just amend it and leave it blank,.. in your opinion, do you think this will be easy to do in her district? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I m french citizen 32 years, my son 7 years old, we live together with his Thai mother (not Married) actually in Samut Prakarn Province.

2 days ago, I went to the Amphur (Amphur Yang Talat, Kalasin province) to get ID Thai National Card + registry what I am legal father but they said me is it impossible and I have to marry before or judgment court !! fuc..... personnal !!

So I got only the ID Card for my son ...

Do you think is it possible to registrer as legal father in other city like Bangkok or Samut Prakarn (We live in Samut Prakarn but the house book adress still in Kalasin Province) ... ?

Thanks in advance

and sorry for my english language lol

Edited by sarayoot

• 1 month later...

Posts in violation of this forum rule have been removed:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

But I though it is possible to gain parental right without marry and only children 7 years old signed in Amphur or Khet in Bangkok to be registred as legal father ?

-Mario2008- and others,

is there no real wording or formula to write and confirm who is a LEGAL FATHER in a Amphoe office?

I said I would like to have a paper stating that I am the legal father of my 3 Thai children in Udon Thani Chaiwan Amphoe.

My GF speaks good English, she translated that to the senior Amphoe Official and my older sons 11 and 8 had been there, 2 witnesses had to be brought in also.

I got then some paper which from my GF translation stated that I live with them in a specific address and that I am the father of the children ect.

BUT with that paper in Vientiane Thai Consular section I did not get a Non-Immigrant O Visa,

also I had some Non Immi O before already from Vientiane.blink.png

Would had to bring also blue house book

and birth certificates from all children? I had only from one child,

and ID card GF-mother of children at least all in signed copies!

Got 2 Tourist Visa entries instead.

That paper presented at the Udon Thani Immigration office when I went there to get a re-entry permit,

did not give me any respond when I asked if that is the paper, that legalized me now as a legal father?

Nobody wanted to give me a comment or told me what was wrong with the paper and how I can let it write better. Only smiles. bah.gif

Next surprise - was stopped for some minutes at the Don Muang Airport Immigration when I was to leave for a short trip to Malaysia for the MotoGP race in Kuala Lumpur Sepang - the lady officer controlling the Passport asked for a higher lady officer.

That officer woman asked for birth certificates, I had not for all of my 3 sons 8 and 11 and 13 from other mother with me.

I had crossed border alone with them or one or two of them to Malaysia, Singapore and Lao before without any questions asked.

So I did not think of any problem.

All my boys had my family names in their Thai Passports, 2 even my first name.

I thought now presenting my new paper from Amphoe - legal father paper - so I was thinking,

would silence the questions but that paper did not bother the higher ranking officer.sad.png

She meant, the Amphoe's do not know what they are writing and I can have crossed many borders without question, but she is a different officer.blink.png

She got then unfriendly and personally too and meant - can see that I have 6 sons as I am so "handsome" - which I am surely not anymore. wink.png

I had to clarify to her then, that children come not from "handsome" and I would tell her where they came from if she would not know!tongue.png

Surely that all just beside the Passport control boxes. In sight and hearing distance of many. rolleyes.gif

On the end - I went on with my journey and my sons.12047098_958241727547453_212250020413114

Edited by ALFREDO

But I though it is possible to gain parental right without marry and only children 7 years old signed in Amphur or Khet in Bangkok to be registred as legal father ?

-Mario2008- and others,

is there no real wording or formula to write and confirm who is a LEGAL FATHER in a Amphoe office?

I said I would like to have a paper stating that I am the legal father of my 3 Thai children in Udon Thani Chaiwan Amphoe.

My GF speaks good English, she translated that to the senior Amphoe Official and my older sons 11 and 8 had been there, 2 witnesses had to be brought in also.

I got then some paper which from my GF translation stated that I live with them in a specific address and that I am the father of the children ect.

BUT with that paper in Vientiane Thai Consular section I did not get a Non-Immigrant O Visa,

also I had some Non Immi O before already from Vientiane.blink.png

Would had to bring also blue house book

and birth certificates from all children? I had only from one child,

and ID card GF-mother of children at least all in signed copies!

Got 2 Tourist Visa entries instead.

That paper presented at the Udon Thani Immigration office when I went there to get a re-entry permit,

did not give me any respond when I asked if that is the paper, that legalized me now as a legal father?

Nobody wanted to give me a comment or told me what was wrong with the paper and how I can let it write better. Only smiles. bah.gif

Next surprise - was stopped for some minutes at the Don Muang Airport Immigration when I was to leave for a short trip to Malaysia for the MotoGP race in Kuala Lumpur Sepang - the lady officer controlling the Passport asked for a higher lady officer.

That officer woman asked for birth certificates, I had not for all of my 3 sons 8 and 11 and 13 from other mother with me.

I had crossed border alone with them or one or two of them to Malaysia, Singapore and Lao before without any questions asked.

So I did not think of any problem.

All my boys had my family names in their Thai Passports, 2 even my first name.

I thought now presenting my new paper from Amphoe - legal father paper - so I was thinking,

would silence the questions but that paper did not bother the higher ranking officer.sad.png

She meant, the Amphoe's do not know what they are writing and I can have crossed many borders without question, but she is a different officer.blink.png

She got then unfriendly and personally too and meant - can see that I have 6 sons as I am so "handsome" - which I am surely not anymore. wink.png

I had to clarify to her then, that children come not from "handsome" and I would tell her where they came from if she would not know!tongue.png

Surely that all just beside the Passport control boxes. In sight and hearing distance of many. rolleyes.gif

On the end - I went on with my journey and my sons.12047098_958241727547453_212250020413114

I think that there are two different terms that apply here one is Legal Father and the other is Parental Rights I was told by a lawyer that although I went to the Court and then to the Ampher that does not give me any parental rights (which I am not sure that I believe) but if it did give me 50% parental rights it could still cause trouble at the immigration when leaving the country because I think that you should have a covering letter form the mother and a signed copy of her ID card to say that she agrees to let you leave the country with her children

I think that you should have a covering letter form the mother and a signed copy of her ID card to say that she agrees to let you leave the country with her children

I did not have that and never had that and always left the country without questions asked, more than 1/2 a dozen times!

First time questioned and also I had not the papers you described, on the end and without much delay-some minutes, went on with the children.

The offer to call the mothers, was declined by the lady officer. smile.png

• 1 month later...

Ok I successfully went through the court process to legitimise my relationship with my daughter.

The order is waiting to be picked from my Bangkok lawyer's office.

Their English isn't great but from what I gather, I must go to the relevant ampor (spelling?) and get my name put on the birth certificate. After that, I can either get a single entry, non-imm O visa based on a Thai child or a year's extension provided I have 400k in the bank etc

What I want to know is:-

1. What is the difference between child legitimisation and parental rights? Have I gone through all this only to still be unable to say where my daughter eventually goes to school??

2. If I want "parental rights", do I have to go through another round of court/lawyer costs?

3. Once I go to Chaeng Wattana immigration with all the required documents etc, do they grant the extension there and then or is there a waiting period? If so, how long?

Ok I successfully went through the court process to legitimise my relationship with my daughter.

The order is waiting to be picked from my Bangkok lawyer's office.

Their English isn't great but from what I gather, I must go to the relevant ampor (spelling?) and get my name put on the birth certificate. After that, I can either get a single entry, non-imm O visa based on a Thai child or a year's extension provided I have 400k in the bank etc

What I want to know is:-

1. What is the difference between child legitimisation and parental rights? Have I gone through all this only to still be unable to say where my daughter eventually goes to school??

2. If I want "parental rights", do I have to go through another round of court/lawyer costs?

3. Once I go to Chaeng Wattana immigration with all the required documents etc, do they grant the extension there and then or is there a waiting period? If so, how long?

It depends on what the judge in the court gave you. I had to go through it again to get Parental rights for my son it is no problem if the mother agrees but it takes about the same time and procedure as getting the child legitimised if the mother does not agree then it could take a lot longer and be much more expensive I was applying for 100%

My name was already on the Birth Certificate but I still had to go to the Amper when I got my son legitimisedparental right

whistling.gif A point many foreign fathers miss.

Fathers can have Parental Rights As. A Father, but they also have Parental Responsibilities as a Father under Thai law.

One oft hose responsibilities is to provide for the Child's schooling and education.

Failure to do that can have your "rights" as a parent taken away....but I don't know how often that really happens.

I'm still confused as to what my position here is.

On the divorce certificate it states that the are to be with me and I have parental power is this the same as people going to court to become the legal father ?

Also the kids are with me 4 + years now. She has came to their school 5 times in that period.

There seems to be a play on words here.

I'm looking for the words sole custody. When in fact that may said another way here.

The kids are with me and soon we will move back to the UK.

My biggest worry is getting everything planned and paid for only to be refused exit at sumanapoom.

post-221307-14514487526992_thumb.jpg

post-221307-14514495116498_thumb.jpg

I am no expert but your documentation says that you have custody of your children and therefore if any questions are asked just produce the documents.

You can state that you are not contravening your divorce agreement , if there is a problem, because she can visit at any time she likes. The 'they shall be minor' refers to the fact that they are children. IMO

edit: The last paragraph of the document you provide would appear to give you absolute power over your children

Edited by Johnjc
  • Like 1

I dont know if this has been pointed out earlier, but:

Keep in mind that a Thai divorce and parental responsibility (custody) agreement is only valid in a country where Thai law applies.

For this reason, in a divorce between an expat and a Thai national, gaining sole custody in Thailand will leave the expat WITHOUT sole custody in his/her home country.

Keep in mind that a Thai divorce and parental responsibility (custody) agreement is only valid in a country where Thai law applies.

For this reason, in a divorce between an expat and a Thai national, gaining sole custody in Thailand will leave the expat WITHOUT sole custody in his/her home country.

This can not be true surely ?

So let's say I move back to the UK with sole custody here. And ex wife follows. Then what ?

So being no sole custody she has dual custody by default of the kids without a court case ?

How would that work ?. It wouldn't.

Difference in Thailand is when you divorce and there are kids involved if both parties are in agreement it can be done at the local council office.

And the agreement is binding, as if you went through a court.

In UK you need solicitors on both sides and still have to go through the family court.

What you're forgetting is the to overturn a custody agreement you have to go to court.

Like now here in my case. She has resurfaced and I don't want her to see the kids, she tried the old I'll get the police involved, 555+

That would of worked if I was ignorant to the law, but it's a civil case not criminal, therefore the police have no power.

So let's say I move back to the UK with sole custody here. And ex wife follows. Then what ?

So being no sole custody she has dual custody by default of the kids without a court case ?

Legally speaking, that is ecaxtly how it works unless the agreement filed in Thailand is recognised. There is an amendment to the UK law which recognises overseas divorces. I haven't looked into the custodial rights issue and if this is covered by the amendment, but I am willing to bet that if the Thai missus follows you to UK she can get a PRA in place that gives her shared custody if she so wish, regardless of any previous agreements made in Thailand. My best bet is that custody aquired by mutual consent in Thailand is not even recognised in UK.

There are other nations where I KNOW the custodial agreement is not recognised. In those nations, even getting a new passport for the child can become a nightmare if the nation require both parents to sign the application - and many nations do.

Edited by Forethat

Legally speaking, that is ecaxtly how it works unless the agreement filed in Thailand is recognised. There is an amendment to the UK law which recognises overseas divorces. I haven't looked into the custodial rights issue and if this is covered by the amendment, but I am willing to bet that if the Thai missus follows you to UK she can get a PRA in place that gives her shared custody if she so wish, regardless of any previous agreements made in Thailand. My best bet is that custody aquired by mutual consent in Thailand is not even recognised in UK.

There are other countries where I KNOW the custodial agreement is not recognised. In those countries, even getting a new passport for the child can become a nightmare because both parents are required to sign the application.

What about if you are granted sole custody by a Thai court without a divorce being involve because you were not married to the mother would that be recognised in the UK

Edited by offset

There are other countries where I KNOW the custodial agreement is not recognised. In those countries, even getting a new passport for the child can become a nightmare because both parents are required to sign the application.

What about if you are granted sole custody by a Thai court without a divorce being involve because you were not married to the mother would that be recognised in the UK

I doubt it, but I cant say for certain that is the case.

Really interesting topic, a UK family law expert should be able to answer this question with ease.

There are other nations where I KNOW the custodial agreement is not recognised. In those nations, even getting a new passport for the child can become a nightmare if the nation require both parents to sign the application - and many nations do.

Lets say what you're saying is right.

My case is....... Firstly I have to leave Thailand with the kids.

See other post.....

But once I'm in the UK she needs to get a visa to go ( didn't pass years ago with my help... thank god )

Then on arriving in the UK she needs accommodation . Not staying in my gaff.

And she will need money. A lot of money . To achieve what she wants ( which I'm not sure )

And she will need a good comand IOF English. She doesn't have.

What I do know is she has done the house. Car and anything else she can sell.

But should I stay in Thailand she will always have a hold on me.

Here in Thailand. No matter how much I tell people what a shit she was/is they still reply. She's their mom.

That's fair enough .but for now I want them to get a good education . After that they want to see her that is their choice.

She's been missing nearly 4 years now and probably just sniffing round see if in dead so she can cheat the kids out of their inheritance.

To sum up..... If that's what the law says. So be it. But remember there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Lets say what you're saying is right.

My case is....... Firstly I have to leave Thailand with the kids.

See other post.....

But once I'm in the UK she needs to get a visa to go ( didn't pass years ago with my help... thank god )

Then on arriving in the UK she needs accommodation . Not staying in my gaff.

And she will need money. A lot of money . To achieve what she wants ( which I'm not sure )

And she will need a good comand IOF English. She doesn't have.

What I do know is she has done the house. Car and anything else she can sell.

But should I stay in Thailand she will always have a hold on me.

Here in Thailand. No matter how much I tell people what a shit she was/is they still reply. She's their mom.

That's fair enough .but for now I want them to get a good education . After that they want to see her that is their choice.

She's been missing nearly 4 years now and probably just sniffing round see if in dead so she can cheat the kids out of their inheritance.

To sum up..... If that's what the law says. So be it. But remember there is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Even UK law focuses on what is best for the child. Only in situations where a relationship with one of the parents is regarded as harmful is the court likely to separate the child from one (or both) of the parents.

Google "Payne v Payne" and read about how a mother was awarded shared parental responsibility and brought a child overseas. When she did not return the child (the keyword is "shared responsibility") all he** broke loose and the mother was eventually granted the right to remove the child from UK permanently.

I dont feel happy for any parent ending up in situations like this. On the other hand, sometimes it is obvious who is the responsible and loving parent in the true meaning of the word. As a parent to show up after five years of and expect to excercise some sort of parental right should - in my opinion- be met with a certain amount of skepticism, and I would make sure that while such request is treated with respect and humility, the child is protected at any cost.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After all I married the mother (with registered prenuptial)

It was a very complicated delivery of that baby. Smile

Five Amphoe denied to marry us ... Foreigner / Thai and or with Prenuptial (not accepted at all)

Samut Prakan checked our paper (all complete and ok) two times and we got an appointment

At our arrival ... paper check again once after one and ... and ... the sheriff does not accept the prenup ... we not want be responsible for.

Even a call in Chaeng Wattana does not help, she still denied and said ... no I not do, nobody will do.

One call in Bangrak makes the big difference ... Yes you can come here and we will marry you and we register the prenup with the marry paper.

WOW ...

My wife went there , let the paper check and ... everything was ok ... we even got an Appointment for three days later.

The only thing ... they asked for two witness which have to be thai ... Both. But actually they where accepting a farang as witness as well as I know from the couple that marry after us and the witness was a an UK man for its friend.

So we are married and having an prenuptial which makes me feel much better, because had 50 % Custody already by the family court. IF we got into a divorce the child will be live with me and the mother goes likes she went into my life ...

That's all ... I hope that our relationship never will end, I belive that every child needs mother and father and not two people which guess that they could do that role (mean people with the same gender) play.

PS

Bye the way I have read about people locking for BORAX and I know its not the right place here. So please admin, let the people know that there ios an online shop CHEMIPAN.COM in Thailand where you easely can order borax and other stuff for a good price (Borax 1Kg for 73.95 TB). Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hi,

On 6-10 of this year i am getting married with my wife.

She have a daughter of 10 year old and i want to recognition's the child as mine.

The Thai father doesn't want anything to do with the girl and sign the papers about it also. Can you all point me in the right direction how we can make this all happen?

Many thanks in advance!

Rik

• 6 months later...

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Legitimation-of-a-Child-in-Thailand.php

The legitimation of a child falls under the Civil and Commercial Code of Thailand (CCC) Section 1547, and this law recognizes that a child born of a woman who is not married to a man shall be deemed to be the legitimate child of such woman, and therefore the mother alone who has the parental rights over the child. However, the biological father of the child is not barred from legitimating of his child, and such legitimation can be fulfilled by any of the following procedures:

1. The subsequent marriage of the biological father and mother of the child;
  2. By registration made on application by the biological father; or
  3. By judgment of the court.

Bai Jot Tabian - Lap Long Bhut ใบจดทะเบียน รับรองบุตร        is the 'form' that is required to be submitted .

http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/151

รับรองบุตร  -  Registration of Legitimation of Child  Download Form 10

http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/LegitimationofChild.pdf

LegitimationofChild.pdf

Edited by edgarfriendly
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:

http://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Legitimation-of-a-Child-in-Thailand.php

The legitimation of a child falls under the Civil and Commercial Code of Thailand (CCC) Section 1547, and this law recognizes that a child born of a woman who is not married to a man shall be deemed to be the legitimate child of such woman, and therefore the mother alone who has the parental rights over the child. However, the biological father of the child is not barred from legitimating of his child, and such legitimation can be fulfilled by any of the following procedures:

1. The subsequent marriage of the biological father and mother of the child;
  2. By registration made on application by the biological father; or
  3. By judgment of the court.

Bai Jot Tabian - Lap Long Bhut ใบจดทะเบียน รับรองบุตร        is the 'form' that is required to be submitted .

http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/151

รับรองบุตร  -  Registration of Legitimation of Child  Download Form 10

http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/LegitimationofChild.pdf

LegitimationofChild.pdf

Nice links to the documents, but the info you quote from Siam-Legal is incorrect.  Important info is left out. As the link to their website states, registration by the biological father can only be made with consent of mother and child. The biological father alone cannot do this.

Do note that legitimizing a child is not equal to getting parental rights. The mother can refuse this latter part in which one has to go to court to get parental rights.