How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

Mario2008

• 5 months later...

Hi, I need to apply for a 12 month extension of stay as a father of Thai children. I'm named on the birth certificates. I was informed I need a letter from court saying I'm the legal father. How do I obtain this, how long does it take, and how much should it cost?

Thanks!

How old is the child? If under 7 years old you will need to go to court to become the legal father, if 7 years old or going to elementary school you can go to the local district office together with mother and child to become the legal father. 

Going to court will take several months and the costs depends on your lawyer. If the mother agrees it is pretty straight forward. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am in quarantine--just arrived. My son's mother is willing to go through the process even though we are not together. SO, if it takes 3 months how can I do it since I am here on Tourist Visa (renewable to get to a total of 90 days)? Does anyone think they might give me a non-o family visa based on the birth certificate and maybe a statement by her in front of someone official?  Since the amphur thing will take beyond how long I can stay on current visa?  Seems that since it will be in process, there should be a way to get this done for a visa so I can stay and complete the process. 

10 hours ago, Dexter1234 said:

I am in quarantine--just arrived. My son's mother is willing to go through the process even though we are not together. SO, if it takes 3 months how can I do it since I am here on Tourist Visa (renewable to get to a total of 90 days)? Does anyone think they might give me a non-o family visa based on the birth certificate and maybe a statement by her in front of someone official?  Since the amphur thing will take beyond how long I can stay on current visa?  Seems that since it will be in process, there should be a way to get this done for a visa so I can stay and complete the process. 

How old is the child? If 7 years or older it can be done in 1 day at the amphur. Only when the child is under 7 (sometimes even 6) do you need to go to court.

The birthcertificate should allow you to get an extra 60 extension from immigration if you show up with mother and child. Otherwise there are still COVID extensions.

• 4 months later...

I have an 11 year old and will be heading to the amphur soon with her mother to gain parental rights, legitimise etc.

I'm not sure what will be given when everything signed? I don't suppose anyone has an image of what i should expect to receive and that will satisfy immigration?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2012 at 6:52 PM, Mario2008 said:

You might have a problem. Under a relatively new rule, immigration can ask to see proof that you have permisison from the other parent to travel with your child if you don't have sole custody. It doesn't seem to be checked that often, but ocasionally does.

Best is to try and get a small note from the mother together with a copy of her ID-card giving you permision.

Nope.

This is applicable only when the child is Thai.

Incase of children who hold nationality of their Father, this does not apply.

The Thai IO cannot stop a foreign child from departing Thailand.