Im not married and got newborn.

I guess my options are 1 and 3.

Marriage sounds easiest.

How long is the court process.

And what whole thing changes if done?

Easier / better family visa is it?

I mean for child and her birth cert.

Not marriage visa.

If you do nothing, and therefore have no 'parental rights', does this really matter if the couple stay together?

The court process takes about 3 months (depends a bit on the actual court where you apply).

It will mean you have parental rights, where right now you have no rights towards the child. The mother has sole responsibility and can determine where the child stays, goes to school etc. Legally you have no say. If the mother suddenly dies you are in a weak position and would have to fight with the mother's family about who will take care of the child.

With parental rights (and living with the child) you would be able to get 1 year extensions of stay from immigration, if you cna show 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 a month income.

The court process takes about 3 months (depends a bit on the actual court where you apply).

It will mean you have parental rights, where right now you have no rights towards the child. The mother has sole responsibility and can determine where the child stays, goes to school etc. Legally you have no say. If the mother suddenly dies you are in a weak position and would have to fight with the mother's family about who will take care of the child.

With parental rights (and living with the child) you would be able to get 1 year extensions of stay from immigration, if you cna show 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 a month income.

Talked to gf. We agreed to marry in near future.

So thats sorted.

Is it 400k marriage visa and child family visa same thing then.

In visa rulez if u married and no kid and if u married and got kid no difference?

Thanks a lot

If you are married they will extend you based on being married, even if you have children.

There is a small difference between the two. Based on marriage you must season the money in the bank for 2 month (if you go for the money in the bank option), based on children there is no seasoning required. The other rules are the same, including those regarding income.

If you are married they will extend you based on being married, even if you have children.

There is a small difference between the two. Based on marriage you must season the money in the bank for 2 month (if you go for the money in the bank option), based on children there is no seasoning required. The other rules are the same, including those regarding income.

Good tip

So if u married with kid u still need 400k in bank but it dosnt have to be there for 2 months? 4 days is ok?

And what about if not married with kid and 400k? Get year extension and do or not have to be 2m in bank acc.

Cheers

If married and no children you need to season the money for 2 months.

If married and have Thai kid, you still need to season the money for 2 months. Only if you have a kid and are not married is no seasoning required.

If not married and have Thai kid you do not need to season the money, being there for 4 days will be fine.

In all 3 cases you can instead of showing money in the bank also apply for a 1 year extension based on having an income of 40,000 baht a month (before taxes) and this can be from abroad.

• Like 1

If married and no children you need to season the money for 2 months.

If married and have Thai kid, you still need to season the money for 2 months. Only if you have a kid and are not married is no seasoning required.

If not married and have Thai kid you do not need to season the money, being there for 4 days will be fine.

In all 3 cases you can instead of showing money in the bank also apply for a 1 year extension based on having an income of 40,000 baht a month (before taxes) and this can be from abroad.

Im not married and got kid

And i got cash

Now Im on ED visa

Sounds like good option to apply for non immigrant O based on a child in laos, and then just few days before 90 days i put 400k in krung thai and they would give me 1 year extension in jomtien ?

Thanks again

ps.

Is it matter for immigration i got parental rights?

Or just birth cert with my name on it is good enough?

Edited by BeefSlapper

You must have legitimized the child to be able to get a 1 year extensions of stay from immigration. Only being on the birth certificate is good enough to get a visa, but not for extensions of stay. (But you can get a 60 day extension of stay with it).

You must have legitimized the child to be able to get a 1 year extensions of stay from immigration. Only being on the birth certificate is good enough to get a visa, but not for extensions of stay. (But you can get a 60 day extension of stay with it).

Ic

So visa itself would be for 60 or 90 days and then u could extend it for additional 60 days?

Then could one go to laos repeat process many times? As there is no limits on that kind of visas lile TR ones... thx

Sawasdee krub Mario 2008,

I am french Citizen 32 years old actually live in Bangkok, and my son 7 years old born in Kalasin, next Friday I will go to the Amphur in Kalasin

for my fatherhood legitimized so I have just show my passeport ?

How long process ? the same day?

And they will give me a document as I am the legitimized father ?

thans again and sorry for my english lol

I am french Citizen 32 years old actually live in Bangkok, and my son 7 years old born in Kalasin, next Friday I will go to the Amphur in Kalasin

If u are married u okay.

If u not married u need go to courts or get marry to get parental rights...

In amphur u just get baby birth certificat.

Passport and gf house book and her id will do

Mother and child must accompany you and then it can all be settled in an hour. It really depends on the amphur. Some might want two witnesses and some will want to see an official translation of your passport.

(As all documents are in Thai, a translation of your name in Thai is needed. If named on the birth certificate, that should do, otherwise a work permit might do).

Not sure what documents they will give you, but that you are the legal father will be officially registered and you can get a copy of that register.

Hi Mario 2008, thanking u in advance for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

I am the father of a baby girl, I married the Thai mother soon after birth. I am also on the birth certificate. My question is what happens if me and the mother divorce? In the eyes of the law would I still be the legal father? Or would I need to go and get the legal document stating I'm the dad? (If we decided to divorce) Also what visa could I get if we divorced and all I had was my name on the birth certificate?

Thanks again.

Hi Mario 2008, thanking u in advance for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

I am the father of a baby girl, I married the Thai mother soon after birth. I am also on the birth certificate. My question is what happens if me and the mother divorce? In the eyes of the law would I still be the legal father? Or would I need to go and get the legal document stating I'm the dad? (If we decided to divorce) Also what visa could I get if we divorced and all I had was my name on the birth certificate?

Thanks again.

You are the legal father through the marriage and a divorce doesn't change that. In case of a divorce the standard is that you will get joint custody with the mother, unless you and your wife agree to make another arrangement. Normally you negotiate who gets the child how many days a week/month, etc,

In case of a divorce you can still get yearly extensions of stay, but now based upon the child. Same financial criteria apply, only now the money does not have to be seasoned. It is necessary that the child (partially) lives with you and you did not sign away your parental rights to the mother.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mario

Just to let you know - I was turned down a Visa based on being the parent of a Thai child by the London embassy (I applied in Dublin, but all requests now go to London). This was in December 2014. I was told that I needed to legitimate the child, and that the only visa open to me up to that time was a tourist visa. Not suggesting your info is wrong, but in practice my application for O-type (visa not extension) based on paternity was denied until I had the legitimization docs from the Family court.

I hope this might help others avoid getting the runaround.

Hi Mario

Just to let you know - I was turned down a Visa based on being the parent of a Thai child by the London embassy (I applied in Dublin, but all requests now go to London). This was in December 2014. I was told that I needed to legitimate the child, and that the only visa open to me up to that time was a tourist visa. Not suggesting your info is wrong, but in practice my application for O-type (visa not extension) based on paternity was denied until I had the legitimization docs from the Family court.

I hope this might help others avoid getting the runaround.

Indeed, many Thai embassies now require legitimization of the child to get a non-O based on the child. In the surrounding countries however, most will issue a single non-O based on the birth certificate.

I should have made that more clear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mario,

So where can I get an easy Visa Non Immigrant O single entry with Thai Certificate Birth child without show any proof of Flight Ticket, address or bank statement ?

Laos (savannakhet/vientiane) or other country ?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I actually understand about how to legitimize a child.

But what is need to put my name in the birh certificate? Is it something more easy?

in the birth certificate of my daghter at the moment there is only the name of the mother, since i did not even know about it before about she....

what i have to do in order to put my name in the birth certificate?

thanks

Edited by marino28

But what is need to put my name in the birh certificate? Is it something more easy?

in the birth certificate of my daghter at the moment there is only the name of the mother, since i did not even know about it before about she....

thanks

I would contact the amphur where the child was born and see what can be done. Normally a birth certificate is not easy to change.

But the important thing is that you legitimize the child and that the legitimization is recorded at the amphur.

• Like 1

thanks

I would contact the amphur where the child was born and see what can be done. Normally a birth certificate is not easy to change.

But the important thing is that you legitimize the child and that the legitimization is recorded at the amphur.

today my girlfriend went to the amphr and they ask:

copy of dna test

copy of my passport

my name in thai

we provide what they ask, but after they say that everything have to be translated in thai and they need autentification of embassy bangkok (i suspect they refer to thai ministrey of foreing affairs in bangkok)

i also ask a cople of quotation for get the parental right via the court, 1 was 80.000 thb and another 1 was 55.000 still looking if i can find something cheaper.

they actually told me also that since i live in Pattaya we can go to court in Chonburi and not where the baby was born, is it correct?

thanks for your help

Edited by marino28

I would not pay a lawyer more than about 10,000 baht for such a simple job, and maybe some extra if a translator is required.

I would ask the court in Chonburi if you can apply there, but otherwise try and change the household registration to there.

• Like 1

I would not pay a lawyer more than about 10,000 baht for such a simple job, and maybe some extra if a translator is required.

I would ask the court in Chonburi if you can apply there, but otherwise try and change the household registration to there.

I will ask the court in Chounbri,

regarding the lawyer i am more than happy to pay less as possible, since is very simple case.

The problem is too find one lawyer in Pattaya area that is ready to do that for me.

Thanks