How To Avoid Jet Lag?

Griizley

I have a 25 hour flight coming up. What is the best natural way to avoid jetlag? Also, does anyone have any experience with Delta planes first class? I will leave Tampa arrive in Atlanta leave for tokyo and then tokyo to bangkok. Any advice? Lol. Also, it says I arrive there 11 pm...is that rughly 10 am in thailand? Excuse my spelling btw...on phone lol thanks

Do not eat anything 16-22 hours prior to the local morning time of the day of landing. Eat your breakfast at 8 am (or whenever you normally east breakfast) local time at your destination. This resets your circadian rhythm in 1 shot.

Hydrate like crazy. Water water water. No alcohol, no calorie drinks, no caffeine.

SLEEP as much as possible. When you do not sleep, be up and about walking and hydrating. Try becoming a member of the high fliers club (if you are into that sort of thing. Gives you something to do...so to speak)?

Have a great pair of earbuds to limit noise. If you have noise cancelling earphones, use them.

The way I did it, on the day prior to catching my flight, I didn't sleep at all. I stayed up all night preparing for my trip. I reset my watch to Thai time one I was seated on the flight and would wait for my watch to tell me it was 8pm in Thailand before I would allow myself to sleep. When my watch told me it was morning or noon in Thailand I would not allow myself to sleep.

You will often find that when it is Morning in Thailand the plane will be flying in darkness and many around you will be sleeping. Don't give in and sleep. Stay awake! When you arrive in Thailand at 11 pm and you check into your hotel you will find that you have no jet lag!

Works every time for me! :)

First class? I am jealous!

I have a 25 hour flight coming up. What is the best natural way to avoid jetlag? Also, does anyone have any experience with Delta planes first class? I will leave Tampa arrive in Atlanta leave for tokyo and then tokyo to bangkok. Any advice? Lol. Also, it says I arrive there 11 pm...is that rughly 10 am in thailand? Excuse my spelling btw...on phone lol thanks

The second question first. Normally, times on tickets refer to local time. So if your itinerary says your flight arrives at 11pm, that's 11pm Bangkok time.

As for jet lag, it all depends. Everyone is different and you just have to figure out what works for you. For years, I couldn't sleep in/on any moving vehicle. I tried every over the counter sleeping pill there was and nothing allowed me to sleep, just be really tired. As a result I attempted to get as much sleep before my flights as possible expecting to stay awake during the entire flight.

Finally, someone introduced me to Ambien. For the first time I was able to sleep on planes. Those 14 hour transits went by much faster and I arrived in much better shape. So my advice to you is sleep as much on the plane.

When you arrive in Japan, if you have enough of a layover, take a shower. I do this every time and it really helps me unwind after the long flight.

Then when you arrive, get on the local time as soon as possible. No matter how tired you are, force yourself to stay awake until a proper bedtime. It helps if you have something to do.

My wife takes the different approach of sleeping when she is tired and it takes her more than a week to get adjusted to the new timezone, I'm usually good after the first night.

I worked rotating shifts for years, always in a state of jetlag. I tried all of the gimics. When I go to Thailand I sleep when tired and go like crazy when feel good. It takes me 5 days to get to normal no matter what I do..

"If" you travel First Class surely you will have no trouble sleeping on the plane. Just go to bed when your'e tired, i dont do anything different, it takes 1 day per hour of time difference to adjust. 6-7 hours from the Uk for me = 6-7 days to adjust.

Get pissed and stay pissed! :lol:

Seriously, I don't stress over it, but will agree with Dave that having a nice shower and getting on the local clock as soon as is probably the best bet. If you can afford it, business class is the way to go and have a nice hotel booked the other end for the first few nights at least... taking it easy with alcohol, sightseeing, and sun (avoid midday on the street, beach) while necking gallons of water also goes without saying.

Personally wouldn't try to not eat before as you also have to take care of your system in the now. Just take it easy and avoid booze on the flight. ;)

The second question first. Normally, times on tickets refer to local time. So if your itinerary says your flight arrives at 11pm, that's 11pm Bangkok time.

As for jet lag, it all depends. Everyone is different and you just have to figure out what works for you. For years, I couldn't sleep in/on any moving vehicle. I tried every over the counter sleeping pill there was and nothing allowed me to sleep, just be really tired. As a result I attempted to get as much sleep before my flights as possible expecting to stay awake during the entire flight.

Finally, someone introduced me to Ambien. For the first time I was able to sleep on planes. Those 14 hour transits went by much faster and I arrived in much better shape. So my advice to you is sleep as much on the plane.

When you arrive in Japan, if you have enough of a layover, take a shower. I do this every time and it really helps me unwind after the long flight.

Then when you arrive, get on the local time as soon as possible. No matter how tired you are, force yourself to stay awake until a proper bedtime. It helps if you have something to do.

My wife takes the different approach of sleeping when she is tired and it takes her more than a week to get adjusted to the new timezone, I'm usually good after the first night.

This is what my itinerary looks like...

Tampa (TPA) 11:10am -03Aug, Tue

Atlanta (ATL) 12:44pm -03Aug, Tue

Atlanta (ATL)01:40pm -03Aug, Tue

Tokyo Narita (NRT)04:45pm -04Aug, Wed

Tokyo Narita (NRT)06:35pm -04Aug, Wed

Bangkok (BKK)11:20pm -04Aug, Wed

So would I be arriving in Thailand 11:20 P.M. my time? Its confusing to me, lol.

Also, I am doing coach on the two shorter plane rides. 1st class only on Atlanta to Tokyo.

Well for me on a direct 12 hour flight from or to the UK i take a strong sleping pill after 1 hour into the flight, i always take a night flight, sleep for approx 9 hours ,perfect, but you will need a window seat so that people arent crawling all over you to get to the toilet etc,

"If" you travel First Class surely you will have no trouble sleeping on the plane. Just go to bed when your'e tired, i dont do anything different, it takes 1 day per hour of time difference to adjust. 6-7 hours from the Uk for me = 6-7 days to adjust.

Absolute garbage-jet lag is a total myth

6-7 days to adjust-Ive had at least 40 trips out of all of them where Ive been out and back in 4 days in total.

Absolute myth.

Get pissed and stay pissed! :lol:

Seriously, I don't stress over it, but will agree with Dave that having a nice shower and getting on the local clock as soon as is probably the best bet. If you can afford it, business class is the way to go and have a nice hotel booked the other end for the first few nights at least... taking it easy with alcohol, sightseeing, and sun (avoid midday on the street, beach) while necking gallons of water also goes without saying.

Personally wouldn't try to not eat before as you also have to take care of your system in the now. Just take it easy and avoid booze on the flight. ;)

:lol: I wrote your first sentence and then deleted it...

But its so true....i always on the flights from blighty to Thailand get as smashed as i can on the free beer / wine...

then sleep a little... another poster said jetlag is a myth...it may be true..but i have never been affected by it...

you just go with the time in the new country easy peasy....

i know people who swear they are affected by jetlag and then sleep in the day time in the new country they have arrived in....well its no wonder their body clock is affected...just stupid to sleep in the day then complain at night you cannot sleep...

anyway...holidays in Thailand are usually short days of long sleeping hangovers and long nights of flashing lights, loud music, lots of pretty ladies and boys... then back to day time sleeping...so you're body clock is f_cked up anyway...

Absolute garbage-jet lag is a total myth

6-7 days to adjust-Ive had at least 40 trips out of all of them where Ive been out and back in 4 days in total.

Absolute myth.

Oh right so "everyones" the same as you are they???

Assuming flying East West vice versa not North South

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

Edited by yabaaaa

This is what my itinerary looks like...

Tampa (TPA) 11:10am -03Aug, Tue

Atlanta (ATL) 12:44pm -03Aug, Tue

Atlanta (ATL)01:40pm -03Aug, Tue

Tokyo Narita (NRT)04:45pm -04Aug, Wed

Tokyo Narita (NRT)06:35pm -04Aug, Wed

Bangkok (BKK)11:20pm -04Aug, Wed

So would I be arriving in Thailand 11:20 P.M. my time? Its confusing to me, lol.

Also, I am doing coach on the two shorter plane rides. 1st class only on Atlanta to Tokyo.

Thailand is 11 hours ahead of EDT plus 11. All times on your ticket are local time. Japan is 12 hours ahead of EDT. You will arrive in BKK 11:20 PM Thai time. You are traveling east, against the rotation of the earth. So, you leave Tampa at 10:10 PM Thai time on the 3rd and arrive 23 hours later. Your longest flight ATL Is 1:40 AM Japan time to NRT 4:45 PM Japan time is 15 hours in the air.

Exposing yourself to sunlight the morning after you arrive helps lessen the amount of days it will take your body clock to to reset. But it takes a while. I fly from San Francisco to Taipei and on to Bangkok then onto my house in Phuket. It takes me over 30 hours door to door. And I'm wiped out for days. Flying east is worse, it takes me at least a week to recover. But everyone is different.

It's phsycological... Think of this will help avoid jet lag: We'r on the same planet, time is manmade, it's always the same time. Time is made because of the earth's rotation around the sun, which gives us day and night. The sun never stops shining! If we would have no time, you just would know day and night.

Just make sure you drink enough water.

It's phsycological... Think of this will help avoid jet lag: We'r on the same planet, time is manmade, it's always the same time. Time is made because of the earth's rotation around the sun, which gives us day and night. The sun never stops shining! If we would have no time, you just would know day and night.

You are a bit mistaken... It's the earths rotation on it's axis, one rotation every 24 hours, that gives us day and night. The earth's rotation around the sun takes one year.

Jet lag, medically referred to as "desynchronosis," is a physiological condition which is a consequence of alterations to circadian rhythms; it is classified as one of the circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Jet lag results from rapid long-distance transmeridian (east-west or west-east) travel, as on a jet plane.The condition of jet lag may last many days, and recovery rates of 1 day per eastward time zone or 1 day per 1.5 westward time zones are mentioned as fair guidelines. Source Wikipedia

How To Avoid Jet Lag?

Answer... Travel by tramp steamer.

Seriously though, it affects everyone differently. I can't sleep on planes for more than an hour at a time. Same with busses. Many people don't have any trouble sleeping at all in transit. By contrast, Thais can sleep anywhere, any time for as long as possible.

I've done the long flights every winter for the past 15 years and just put up with the long, borring trip. But, I DO bring a good novel to read so my mind is occupied rather than being bored. However, I don't get jet lag going to Asia from North America. In fact I feel quite lively when I arrive because of the excitement of seeing my friends again.

However, I do get jet lag when I return. Fortunately, I don't have any special things that need to be accomplished when I arrive at either destination. I work on the principle of eating when I'm hungry, sleeping wten I'm tired and keeping myself occupied while I'm awake.

I fly to LOS from North Africa 5 or 6 time a year and the total journey time is mostly about 21 Hrs. As I am only there for a short time (6 to 8 days) I can't afford to lose any time being jet lagged.

All I do is:

[*]Ensure I fly business class, even if I have to pay!

[*]Only have 1 or 2 drinks and small meals

[*]Sleep as much as possible - I normally take a herbal sleeping tablet to help

[*]At the half way stop, have a shit and shower.

[*]On the first night take Melatomin or something else to help me sleep

By following these guidelines I never get jet lagged. But for me the important thing is to sleep...then on arrival if its bed time, then take something to stop you staying awake all night.

Cheers

Always find that East-West jetlag far longer to recover from than the other way around.

I read somewhere (think it was on airasia magazine) that you should get as much sleep as possible when flying west to east and try to stay awake as long as possible on east to west flights - its supposed to ease the jetlag.....

Its to do with your BODY CLOCK not "a clock" you sleep at about the same time each day............all of a sudden your trying to sleep at midday instead of midnight. Your body's saying goodnight yet its 12 noon.

Always find that East-West jetlag far longer to recover from than the other way around.

I read somewhere (think it was on airasia magazine) that you should get as much sleep as possible when flying west to east and try to stay awake as long as possible on east to west flights - its supposed to ease the jetlag.....

when you fly halfway around the globe there is none of that east west issue.it is a twelve hr time difference from the us to thailand.

i do it 4 times a year and the best is to enjoy the trip drink little alcohol and sleep as much as possible. in the destination country try to get up at a normal hr and spend some time outdoors as the sunlight makes the body adjust to different timezones. when tired I take a nap but not too long. takes a few days to get adjusted.

You are a bit mistaken... It's the earths rotation on it's axis, one rotation every 24 hours, that gives us day and night. The earth's rotation around the sun takes one year.

Jet lag, medically referred to as "desynchronosis," is a physiological condition which is a consequence of alterations to circadian rhythms; it is classified as one of the circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Jet lag results from rapid long-distance transmeridian (east-west or west-east) travel, as on a jet plane.The condition of jet lag may last many days, and recovery rates of 1 day per eastward time zone or 1 day per 1.5 westward time zones are mentioned as fair guidelines. Source Wikipedia

Yes I knew that, but I wanted to put it simple here, without going to much physics.

After traveling 20+ years from USA to Asia -- meaning 10-12 time zone differential -- I have decided as with cures for the hiccups there is no workable remedy except time...

12 time zones is the farthest you can travel or else you are coming back.

Somebody told me to sleep three hours then stay awake for another three and repeat. Does that work?

Delta 1st class ? Your spoiled.

I started a thread about this not long ago. Somebody suggested that you should start living on Thailand time 4 or 5 days before you leave. That is what I did.

So just see what it is in Bangkok time and go about your day in Bangkok time.