Unsolicited Mail

Rooo

Is anyone else receiving EMails with Samui addresses with virus attachements?

They come in the guise of well known organisations on Samui or as undelivered mail. :o

Is anyone else receiving EMails with Samui addresses with virus attachements?

They come in the guise of well known organisations on Samui or as undelivered mail. :o

I don't think it would be unfair to tell us what particular organisations as we need to be alert about this...what virus is it anyway?

They are well known organisations & hotels on Samui,I get 2 Emails a day one as an answer to a question & one as undelivered mail sent by me ( which I never sent ) & usually to another Samui based company.

My server usually blocks Email from being open but next time I will try & get virus type.

Thanks.

File name: screensaver.zip

File size: 29kb

File type: application/octet-stream

Scan result: Virus "W32.Netsky.P@mm" found.

The file attached to this message was infected with a virus that we were unable to clean. You can not download this attachment.

Note: Not all viruses can be cleaned. Please contact the message sender and request that they send you a virus-free version of this attachment.

....Please contact the message sender and request that they send you a virus-free version of this attachment.

I hope you didn't follow those directions. Doing so might confirm your email address as "active" and lead to many more such malware.

This is a rather old (May 2004), but nasty worm. To quote Symantec:

W32.Netsky.P@mm is a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to the email addresses it finds when scanning the hard drives and mapped drives. The worm also tries to spread through various file-sharing programs by copying itself into various shared folders.

The From line of the email is spoofed, and its Subject line and message body of the email vary. The attachment name varies with the .exe, .pif, .scr, or .zip file extension.

This worm also uses the Incorrect MIME Header Can Cause IE to Execute E-mail Attachment vulnerability to cause unpatched systems to auto-execute the worm when reading or previewing an infected message.

A removal tool is available, should you become infected.

More details here

cheers :o

Edited by waldwolf

....Please contact the message sender and request that they send you a virus-free version of this attachment.

I hope you didn't follow those directions. Doing so might confirm your email address as "active" and lead to many more such malware.

This is a rather old (May 2004), but nasty worm. To quote Symantec:

W32.Netsky.P@mm is a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine to send itself to the email addresses it finds when scanning the hard drives and mapped drives. The worm also tries to spread through various file-sharing programs by copying itself into various shared folders.

The From line of the email is spoofed, and its Subject line and message body of the email vary. The attachment name varies with the .exe, .pif, .scr, or .zip file extension.

This worm also uses the Incorrect MIME Header Can Cause IE to Execute E-mail Attachment vulnerability to cause unpatched systems to auto-execute the worm when reading or previewing an infected message.

A removal tool is available, should you become infected.

More details here

cheers :D

hi'

do as waldwolf said, and if this goes on, at least send back to sender ...

if it's spamming stuff it would be only what they deserve and if not will teach some to act clean or to clean their machine ... the hard way, but for some it's the only way ..:D

francois

ps: sorry to be a bitrude, but infected mail just p*** me off :o

re ...

and as I mentionned sometime ago, ther is only one program that I know that can prevent such thingsto happen, not a spamkiller or this kind of stuff were you're never finish to enter new rules as spammers are some kind of smart *** ...

go to sourceforge,net and find Magic Mail Monitor.

this little piece of FREE soft is a wonder :D

it allows you to download the headers of the received mails, and then you choose to keep, to mark as spam, to delete or to mark as friendly, or simply leave it and get your mail.

it does it without anything being downloaded from the server, only information from the headers. clean the list and receive the ones you only want :D

you can also have a quick preview of a message in texte format.

francois

ps: use this for long and no spam get in my mailbox neither virus :o

its likely that those emails didnt come from these organisations...

perhaps someone had these organisations email addresses in their contacts on outlook and that person had your contact also.

so now some malways/spyware/virus infected his system and sending mails from ppl in his contact list to other ppl in his contact list.

check the headers of the mail about the origin IP of the mail.....

you can compare that to mails from other organisations ....

if the IPs are same then all the spam is coming from the same person (or same computer)...