Things To Do At "River Kawi"

corkman

Hi All,

My parents are here at the moment and I'd like to take them to see the bridge. I'm living in Bkk, so I reckon its about 1.5-2hr drive? I think its a bit too far to go for a day trip only, so we'll probably stay over night - but then I am thinking is there anything else to do apart from going to see the bridge, which I assume is a "couple of hours" worth of sightseeing? As the thread title says - are there other things to do apart from the bridge - places to go, things to do?

I've read a few posts, and heard references to "the strip" ...... is this like a "walking street" type of thing? I totally don't know what to expect..... is there a bit of night life there ..... for the younger and olders among us?

So, with the abvove in mind, I've been looking at hotels on the "usual" hotel browsers...... can anyone recommend a nice hotel that is close to the said strip, but far enough away that my parents won't be kept awake by loud bars etc. and is nice - it doesn't need to be the Hitlon, just clean / friendly / nice.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Try a hotel search for K'buri, guest houses right up to 4/5 hotels star are available.

If you'd like the raft house experience, try Sugar Cane down on the river, about B500 pp and a good restaurant.

Rod Beattie's museum is worth seeing, probably the best in town, across the road from the big cemetery right in town, Chungkai I think, along with a couple of others. I wouldn't bother with Jeath. There are some beautiful wats to see out of town and a not too bad market in town.

The 'strip' parallel with the river is worth doing, both for a hotel and nightlife/restaurants.

If you have time, a trip out to Sangklaburi is worth the trip, but it's at least 2 days and preferably three required. P Guest House is great, down on the lake, B200 pp. fromthere it's only 20 Kms to Three Pagodas pass and the Burma border.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Rod Beattie's museum is worth seeing, probably the best in town, across the road from the big cemetery right in town, Chungkai I think, along with a couple of others. I wouldn't bother with Jeath. There are some beautiful wats to see out of town and a not too bad market in town.

The 'strip' parallel with the river is worth doing, both for a hotel and nightlife/restaurants.

Edited by Kan Win

Plenty to do in the area, although if you are expecting nightlife, it's pretty quiet on the strip at present.

Most people have mentioned a few of the places to visit. If you have your own transport, I'd suggest you look at staying in accommodation off the strip - some nice places a fe miles out of the centre, but still accessible. Xanadu in Nong Bua is a particularly nice spot, and well run - it get's good ratings on Trip Advisor as well.

The bars on the strip cater more to tourist market, but they are not all bars with girls in them. The corner part by the water tower is where most of the beer bars are, but further down there is a good Pizza place Bell's, and I Ba Bar which also serves decent enough bar food. Bars, plenty of them including the infamous Ting Tong Bar, and also the larger and also well run One More Bar - which does good food - and shows most sports. There is also The Jolly Frog, which I think still has 70 Baht rooms, and is a favourite with those on a budget for food and accommodation.

There is also Walking Street, which is more in the old town section - a few bars and restaurants which caters more for the Thai's , but this a nice change.

For sites to see, there is the Thailand Burma Railway Museum, next to the cemetery which has all ready been mentioned, and is well worth a visit. The Museum by the bride is crap, as is JEATH. If you want to visit Chungkai, I'd suggest taking a long tail boat down the river, and also visit the caves in that area for a bit of a change. Further on out past the town there is Erawan Waterfalls, Srinarkarin Dam, Sai Yok Waterfalls, Hin Dad Hot Springs and also Hellfire pass. I believe there is also a Weary Dunlop Museum out on the Sai Yok road, but not entirely sure where it is - near Nam Tok railway station possible. Kan Win??

If you like Football, the local Division one team play at the stadium every other week - normally on a Sunday if I am not mistaken. There is also a Night Market on the main road going through the town past the cemetery on the right.

Sure you will enjoy it up here, it's a great part of Thailand. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated.<BR><BR>There is plenty of info available about the day time activities, but there is very little about night life.<BR><BR>My parents will be tucked up in bed by 10pm, and both myself and the Mrs. enjoy an evening out. I read with interest about "<STRONG>The Strip</STRONG>", but I cannot seem to find <STRONG>exactly where</STRONG> that is (bearing in mind I don't know the sligtest thing about the area so "next to the xyz" doesn't help) - if one of you kind folks could tell me the <STRONG>name of the street</STRONG> so I can google it, check it out by day, and then hit the place at night. My preference is for<STRONG> "western" pop-music / dance music - and I quite like girlie-bars too</STRONG> .... not for any "extra" services, just for the relaxed atmosphere and good relaxed fun. So, if anyone can recommend a <STRONG>nice lively nightspot, with lively western pop-music, with or without the girlie-element</STRONG>, then I would be much obliged.<BR><BR>With regard to dining, I am getting the impression I would be best off to look up the 3/4/5 star hotels and take my parents to them for dinner. For lunch - they like moderate thai food (as in basic stir-fry and rice) but really would prefer western food stuffs........ so, any recommendations here would also be much appreciated.

The strip is on River Kwai Road, it is rather easy to find as it runs parallel between the river and the main road 323 (I stand to be corrected on that) - and goes from the Bridge up to the cemetary. Most of the bars run from The Corner - which is where the Provincial Waterworks office is (Water tower outside) down to the second 7-11 which is near the school.

Food places Bells Pizza, Mangosteen, One More Bar and I Ba Bar - all of these places sell Western food, and are located on The Strip. For Thai food on the strip - The Resort is a well laid out place, and does decent food. River There is also a Moo Kata BBQ place on the strip, however I have not eaten there yet. If you don't mind travelling a bit further out for food there is Xanadu in Nong Bua - which is a small resort, but the food is excellent - both Thai and Western. There is also a BBQ held at Ban Sabai Sabai in Nong Bua every Sunday - which is also opposite Suan Nanachat - a nice well run spa. There is also Apple Retreat - which does some nice food, and is easy enough to find - there is a website.

There is also an excellent Thai style outdoor restaurant on the main road coming in past the River Kwai Hotel on the opposite side - very popular place to eat and has some live music there on most evenings (not open in the day).

There are also a number of other restaurants around the Bridge area - Keera Terra is a nice setting, and the food is generally good. It is pretty popular, so sometimes at weekends it is worth booking a table if you want one over looking the bridge and river.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1