Missed Flight In Hong Kong

keithlarge

Hi there, recently I flew from London (LHR) to Phuket with Cathey Pacific via Hong Kong.

Due to headwinds we arrived late in HK and when I (rushed) got to the gate for the Dragonair flight it was already taxying away from the gate.

I was then told that my baggage was on-board, but was removed and was in the gates baggage area.

They offered to get me to Phuket via Bangkok that evening for an extra £400 single, which I refused. They then said we can fly you in the morning come back at 8:00am, they wanted me to pay £50 for the ticket change, but I persuaded them not to. This incurred a night in Airport hotel @ £110, food etc: and no change of clothes etc:

Can I claim at all under the EU directive I have seen posted.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

If you paid for your ticket with a credit card, you may have automatic travel insurance which could include compensation for missed connecting flights, so check with your credit card company.

If you were doing a connecting flight with the same airline, it would be totally their responsibility, but if it is with another airline you would probably not be covered. However, Dragon may be a subsidiary of Cathay (memory getting a little joggy on this) but at any rate, no harm in asking again for further compensation.

EU directive doesn't come into it with Dragonair. Most LCC,s (Low cost carriers) operate this way and in the circumstances you have got away with paying for the ticket change so that is about as much as you will get from them. Credit card covering it unlikely I would have thought. I have a good travel policy with Nationwide, pretty comprehensive but even they only cover missed departures from your International departure point at either end. Your not covered in-between. The irony there being if I had been in your situation and flown to Heathrow on Ryanair for example and that was late and I missed my Cathay flight I would have been covered. Connecting flights with different airlines can be a particular problem if one of them is an LCC.

Have you booked the whole trip as one, or did you buy the Cathay and Dragon Air Ticket seperatly? If the seperate, you will be responsible as you havent considered enought time between your flights.

Edited by asia_pilot

Why do you want compensation? You booked the tickets too close together, own mistake.

Still, if you have cancellation insurance they will pay. But for some reason I guess you don't have that.

I BOUGHT THE WHOLE DEAL TOGETHER FROM CATHAY PACIFIC, THEY GAVE ME THE FLIGHT TIMES..

I DO HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE BUT DON'T KNOW UNTIL I GET BACK TO BLIGHTY IF THIS IS COVERED.

JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASIER TO DO DO IN HK ON MY RETURN, WHILE I WASTE 8 HOURS.

No reason to shout :realangry:

Yes, if you booked the whole deal with Cathay Pacific, and they said you'd make the onward flight, I would also go to them for a refund of the flight you did not make.

Yes, if you booked the whole deal with Cathay Pacific, and they said you'd make the onward flight, I would also go to them for a refund of the flight you did not make.

and sice tour connected try started in the EU you should get "compo" and all expenses...hotels,taxis ,meals....etc... :)

Dragonair is a wholy owned subsidiary of Cathay Pacific.

Looking at tomorrows availability on the Cathay website, I would guess that your flight arrived in Hong Kong at 13:10, and your connecting flight to Phuket was at 14:45, allowing 1 hour 45 minutes connection time.

The screen image below shows that the Hong Kong to Phuket flight is actually a code share flight:

Cathay Pacific flight number CX6804

Dragonair flight number KA214

So you were not connecting with a Dragonair flight, both your flights were with Cathay Pacific.

Does that make any difference ??

post-7529-035590800 1279135490_thumb.jpg

(Sorry, no idea how to make the image bigger, just click if you want to read the detail)

Edited by davee58

Dragonair I would describe as similar to Air Asia

No frills but gets the job done, I was just amazed that they allowed the flight leave knowing that passengers where in transit from London with their sister company Cathay Pacific. They even had my baggage on board before it departed.

Due to headwinds we arrived late ... Delay was beyond contol of the airline... NEXT..

Disruption to flights, such as cancellations and delays, or missed connections, can cause considerable annoyance and inconvenience. But there are no regulations on compensation payments whatever the circumstances of the disruption. Typical airline terms and conditions include clauses which state that schedules and timings (and even dates!) are not guaranteed.

http://www.auc.org.u...=90&pageid=3312.

Probably because you have just presumed he had booked the tickets too close together and had no travel insurance

Probably because you have just presumed he had booked the tickets too close together and had no travel insurance

Well, he did book the tickets too close together, and he does seem not to have cancellation insurance (in a lot of countries not the same as travel insurance), which is what I referred to.

First of all Dragonair is not a "Low Cost" airline and it cannot be compared to Air Asia as the service ( airport lounges, Marco Polo club, etc ) and prices are way better and higher.

In this particular case, since you have booked and purchased the whole flight with the same airline, CX should take full responsability for the delay.

The first solution should have been to put you on a different airline flight to Phuket ( Thai or Air Asia ) on the same day with the no charge. In case this was not possible, they should book you a seat for the next day flight with CX ( Dragonair ) to Phuket and provide you a hotel room FOC for your forced stop-over in HK.

This just happened to me last month -- I missed my TG flight at LAX to BKK due to my checked-through connecting UAL flight being delayed by thunderstorms and lightning... weather related delay... I was re-booked for the next day... 20+ hours at LAX sleeping on the floor and eating $13 sandwiches ...

The OP's flight originated in UK... as stated (above) by the UK ATUC:

Typical airline terms and conditions include clauses which state that schedules and timings (and even dates!) are not guaranteed.

The (official) 2 1/2 hour connection is tight and I may re-consider for the next time... but 99 out 100 times the connection with be made with no hassle as I already had been issued the TG boarding pass..

I am sure we don't have all the details here. Dragonair (which is not a low cost carrier by the way) and Cathay Pacific are part of the same group - CX owns KA 100%. If the ticket had been bought LHR/HKG/HKT and the connection was missed in HKG due late arrival from LHR then Cathay is obliged to get you to HKT and this may involve a night stay in HKG at their expense or a reroute via BKK - but asking for extra money for this is highly unusual.

Also, CX staff would have been waiting for you at the gate on arrival from LHR (they would know you are late) and would either have got you to the KA flight or sorted out a new one - your story about running to the next gate is just not logical.  However, if your version is "all the truth and nothing but the truth" then you should complain.  So, how come your bags made it to the HKT flight but you didn't? The minimum connection time for bags is longer than people.

It may be that in his haste, he did not see the ladies providing assistance to the gate, and that in his unfamiliarity with the airport, he took longer than might seem reasonable to the very efficient people at CX. Certainly, if they were able to get his baggage to the other gate, then there must have been plenty of time for a fit person (although fair enough, not everyone that goes to Phuket is an athlete like you or me).

I'm in agreement, though, Cathay is the one airline that I have regularly used which hat has never let me down, throufgh strikes, typhoons, coups and drunken stupors, and I would be very surprised if they were not a model of efficiency and courtesy for the OP

SC