Snaaake

• 4 months later...

Snake markings vary significantly even between individuals. The definitive feature of the Monocled cobra (Naja Kaouthia) is, obviously the monocle on the back of the hood, sometimes repeated all the way down the dorsal ('back') surface. The King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) is, as a species, larger and less strongly patterned, but age and intra-(within)-species colour variations blur this. They are less easy to tell apart from the front - which is not necessarily the best side from which to encounter either snake. The King often has arrow shaped markings, i.e. incomplete bands across the ventral (front or belly) surface - these may be barely visible in the light coloured specimens let alone albinos.

Pics from Red Cross Snake Farm, Bangkok. Monocled on the left, King on the right

cobras.png

3cobras.png

You can easily identify cobras by the cute little houses they build:

cobra-house.png

If you wake up one morning and find one of these on your patio... move.

• 2 months later...

My dogs cornered a cobra (about 1 meter and a half in length) this evening, and as their are many kids in the vicinity, I made the decision to try and kill it. It seemed to sense my plan, because it quickly tried to go under the house. Unfortunately I was only able to chop off the bottom quarter of the snake.

Any thoughts as to whether it will live or die? Or come out angry?

Just to be clear, I took no pleasure in trying to kill the snake, but felt it was the appropriate thing to do considering all the kids and dogs in our neighborhood.