Lump On The Back Of My Dog

My Golden pup (approx. 5 months) had a large lump develop on her back about a week back. I "think" I noticed it earlier but it became very visible at that time.I took her to the vet and she suggested that it was tissue damage from an antibiotic injection she'd had about a month ago when she suffered from diarrhea (I took her to the vet for this as it went on for a few days and she eventually seemed very weak and virtually stopped eating or drinking).

The vet took out fluid from the lump until a hard smaller lump remained. She then gave me anti-inflammation, antibiotic and pills to relief swelling, which I have been feeding her twice a day since as instructed.

We're due to go back to the vet tomorrow and although the hard lump seems (I emphasize "seems") slightly reduced, it's still there.I don't see how they'll be able to get any more fluids out and I'm preparing myself for them to say that she'll have to live with that lump for the rest of her life. Or have some serious surgery, which could just throw up another bunch of problems.

I'm kicking myself a bit for allowing the antibiotic injection, if indeed that was the cause. I'm sure an oral treatment could have been effective too (and we were given antibiotic pills to give her at the time as well).

My question is really - what would you do?

Is there any point in going to town at the vet and flaming them for botching a pretty standard injection? Do you think it's likely that the lump WILL remain?Have you been through this and what was the outcome?The hard lump is about 5-8cm in diameter and about 2-3cm in height.Feeling sorry for the amount of medication my girl is being given already (all this on top of rabies and standard shots). Concerned.

Edited by schmutzie

It is possible that an abscess developed on the place of the injection. These things can happen and is not necessarily a result of bad practice.

At the time of the injection your puppy was sick, meaning the immune system was not strong. Also the immune system of a 4 months old puppy is not yet fully matured and most puppies are dealing with the many vaccines that is jabbed into their bodies as well.

Beside this, I've encountered many puppies that developed ongoing soft feces or watery diarrhea as a result of several combined vaccines (of modified live viruses) in a too short period of time. In other words, puppies that developed symptoms of the very diseases they were vaccinated against.

It also happens that the pup or adult dog develops a lump on the side of the vaccine jab. This can take a while before it reduces in size. It can also develop into a tumor.

It is possible that an abscess developed on the place of the injection. These things can happen and is not necessarily a result of bad practice.

At the time of the injection your puppy was sick, meaning the immune system was not strong. Also the immune system of a 4 months old puppy is not yet fully matured and most puppies are dealing with the many vaccines that is jabbed into their bodies as well.

Beside this, I've encountered many puppies that developed ongoing soft feces or watery diarrhea as a result of several combined vaccines (of modified live viruses) in a too short period of time. In other words, puppies that developed symptoms of the very diseases they were vaccinated against.

It also happens that the pup or adult dog develops a lump on the side of the vaccine jab. This can take a while before it reduces in size. It can also develop into a tumor.

Yeah, it's an abscess.

Doctor's orders are to continue with a stronger anti-inflammation drug and antibiotics. Also suggested a warm pack being placed 2-3 times a day.

Apparently it can go three ways:

1. The lump disappears/significantly reduces after a while

2. The abscess "explodes", ie. the skin gets so thin and cracks and puss starts to come out. In that case more drugs and daily treatment.

3. If neither of the above, will have to consider surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this:

After treatment with anti-inflammation and a stronger steroid, the lump has now decreased significantly. I'm now applying a topical anti-inflammation.

I think it'll eventually decrease enough and hopefully go away.

I spoke to a fellow Golden Retriever owner at the vet, and he advised me to always massage the point of injection afterwards to try and ward of this occurring. Not sure if that's legit, but I'll try and remember that.