Will Avi, Xvid And Divx Become History Soon?

jaideeguy

I'm downloading torrents all the time. I see no reduction on those file types at all. In fact, if anything, I see a proliferation of many different file types being used with blu-ray at the top of course, but various flawless xvid and other formats. What seems important today is to have a universal player that plays them all. I use GOM and it always plays everything as they always keep the codecs updated.

With so many file formats being the norm, in so many countries, we will never see the end of divX avi and so on. The torrent portals use these as standard, but have good selecions of all available formats as you say, you just need to be selective about what you look for, depending on what you need to play it on, your download speed / capacity.

Edited by cjars

There is still a great deal of AVI material out on the web, and in personal archives.

Despite all the hype, who really want to watch a film on a 2" x 3" screen??

MKV is one of the standards for HD video, and I am downloading quite a few of those.

MKV is one of the standards for HD video, and I am downloading quite a few of those.

Same here regarding MKV. Just downloaded a couple of series and miniseries in MKV format and look very good using Windows 7 Media Center and my 42" plasma. ;)

There is still a great deal of AVI material out on the web, and in personal archives.

Matroska (.mkv) is a container format similar to avi/mp4 but is open in specification. The main advantage MKV has over other containers is the ability to store unlimited audio, video, subtitle tracks within a single file.

H.264/AVC High Profile is the standard for HD.

Matroska (.mkv) is a container format similar to avi/mp4 but is open in specification. The main advantage MKV has over other containers is the ability to store unlimited audio, video, subtitle tracks within a single file.

I wish my Phillips DVD player (with USB port) recognized MKV!

I wish there were fewer formats that's for sure. I bought a DVD player with a USB connection recently thinking I could play my downloaded video on it. It does play some but probably only 40% of them. The rest I have to convert which takes time.

If you have a PS3 try PS3 media server...

• 2 weeks later...

It can I had the same problem mine was only recognising some MKV's but when I went to the website (Phllips) and put in the correct model number I was able to update the software and now I have no problem playing MKV's

It can I had the same problem mine was only recognising some MKV's but when I went to the website (Phllips) and put in the correct model number I was able to update the software and now I have no problem playing MKV's

Really ? You have a dvd player (not bluray player ) that can play mkv files . Can you tell me the model number as I am very surprised that his is possible . If it does play mkv files it will be a popular model .

hmm does anyone know a substitute for x3player on mac? I have avi, divx files but cant play them on VLC

Make sure you've got the latest version of VLC. I've got no problems playing avi or divx files on my iMac with it. Even set so a double click on those files automatically kicks VLC into operation.

Really ? You have a dvd player (not bluray player ) that can play mkv files . Can you tell me the model number as I am very surprised that his is possible . If it does play mkv files it will be a popular model .

No it is a Blu Ray Model 3100/98, but it says on the Website that it can 't play MKV's and when I first bought it wasn't playing all of them, but after I updated the software via thumb drive, it is now playing all of them. You just have to put your specific model number in when getting the software from the website. If you don't then it won't upgrade the software. I would say if it is possible for your machine to be updated then there is a good chance that it will play MKV's afterwards!