Sportsman Club Demolished

You mean the place in South Chaweng?

yes, it was in front of the centara deli, they were there for more than 5 yrs and had just painted the wall advertising the world cup so i thought they were doing a good trade with pool players and regulars hence I am surprised to see it gone

i think the lease had expired, as i remember 3 years ago it only had 3 years remaining on the lease, and under Thai Economics 101 , as it is quite at the moment the landlord probably doubled the rent and the owner coulnt afford to pay it so he would rather demolish the building and have empty land with no income ...... ( but it will be turned into a market at a latter stage )

Will they (the landlords) ever learn...?

Some of the rental, sale prices and "guarantees" asked today are ridiculous.

Besides more and more of the places with character go out of business...

i think the very clear answer to this one is NO

The more I read/hear about this sort of thing, the more I realise that I will never, ever understand the mindset in Thai business.

If it makes a loss, increase the prices. If there is a successful shop, open one exactly the same next door, continuously build shop-houses with little hope of ever breaking even and so on and on. :crazy:

On a larger scale, Thai International made a massive loss so the first thing they did was to raise prices to an astronomical level.

Now they have had to backtrack by coming up with special 2 for 1 deals etc. :ermm:

The more I read/hear about this sort of thing, the more I realise that I will never, ever understand the mindset in Thai business. If it makes a loss, increase the prices. If there is a successful shop, open one exactly the same next door, continuously build shop-houses with little hope of ever breaking even and so on and on. :crazy: On a larger scale, Thai International made a massive loss so the first thing they did was to raise prices to an astronomical level. Now they have had to backtrack by coming up with special 2 for 1 deals etc. :ermm:

I am the same, I fail to understand it! But I guess for years, there has always been another plane landing on Samui, full of first-timers thinking everything is cheap, and willing to try and live the dream? So they pay those prices.

Now? Well, things just don't look cheap any more, unless you have too much money, and those planes aren't quite so full. Maybe this is the start of a rethink for some of those landlords? I live in hope. :unsure:

The more I read/hear about this sort of thing, the more I realise that I will never, ever understand the mindset in Thai business.

If it makes a loss, increase the prices. If there is a successful shop, open one exactly the same next door, continuously build shop-houses with little hope of ever breaking even and so on and on. :crazy:

On a larger scale, Thai International made a massive loss so the first thing they did was to raise prices to an astronomical level.

Now they have had to backtrack by coming up with special 2 for 1 deals etc. :ermm:

It's not mostly a 3rd world county by accident.

I think i must be one of the very few lucky ones,,i have 2 units in Choeng Mon and 2 different landlords, and upon asking them nicely both REDUCED the rent about a year ago. not by loads but enough so that my utilities can be paid out of the saving.....however on the whole i don't understand their business acumen !!!

the landlord probably doubled the rent and the owner coulnt afford to pay it so he would rather demolish the building and have empty land with no income ......

That's a VERY common attitude i found in different parts of the country, but how did it become so widespread? at what point of his life a thai become "initiated" to this way to think? maybe there is some well kept secret we have not unveiled yet...:D

I remember some time ago, i wanted to take a lease on a property that has been empty for the last 10 years, when we were at a very last stage and asked the landlord to register the lease at the land office, he told me that he couldn't do it because "there was something very bad with the building...." i didn't want to know more (probably a spirit in the house) and the building is still empty.....

i think the lease had expired, as i remember 3 years ago it only had 3 years remaining on the lease, and under Thai Economics 101 , as it is quite at the moment the landlord probably doubled the rent and the owner coulnt afford to pay it so he would rather demolish the building and have empty land with no income ...... ( but it will be turned into a market at a latter stage )

yes before they were called neptunes. and they had a restrant down stairs. then the lease expired. so they lost the restrant. then later the lease expired in the gym. think they wanted something stupid to extend. something like 1 million pounds. hence now a demolished building.

Plus as to another post probably loads of abestos poisoning everywhere

Wow so off the mark, CLOSED BY MUTUAL CONSENT. Jim is going to Koh Lanta to open a new bar ( leasing from the same landlord ) and T-Bone was compensated by the landlord, the plan that a hotel will eventually appear.

:annoyed: Just what Chaweng DOES NOT need another bloody hotel ! Now every soi and backroad is full of Baht 400 /day rooms and just goes to show the absence of any planning. Here's hoping they get inundated with 2 m. of water as they did during the last floods ! Som num na

Wow so off the mark, CLOSED BY MUTUAL CONSENT. Jim is going to Koh Lanta to open a new bar ( leasing from the same landlord ) and T-Bone was compensated by the landlord, the plan that a hotel will eventually appear.

:annoyed: Just what Chaweng DOES NOT need another bloody hotel ! Now every soi and backroad is full of Baht 400 /day rooms and just goes to show the absence of any planning. Here's hoping they get inundated with 2 m. of water as they did during the last floods ! Som num na

Ah!!! Some water!!!!!!! :lol:

the landlord probably doubled the rent and the owner coulnt afford to pay it so he would rather demolish the building and have empty land with no income ......

That's a VERY common attitude i found in different parts of the country, but how did it become so widespread? at what point of his life a thai become "initiated" to this way to think? maybe there is some well kept secret we have not unveiled yet...:D

I've seen it in other places as well. I think it is what happens when people with a non-business way of thinking have land or other other assests. Maybe the land has been in the family a long time so the person who owns could be pretty clueless about business or how to make money. It's almost child-like to think, "I want more money, so I need to raise prices" or "If I rent today for less money, then tomorrow some rich person will come offer me millions and I will feel stupid".

The Sportsman will hardly be missed as it had almost no character whatsoever being a bar in a warehouse on a tropical island I could never see the attraction myself. Good luck to whatever is the new venture if any....

Thanks for clarifying... I think the comments which the OP triggered are quite right, even not much to do with why.the Pub has been closed... but still much is true and spot on... Thai ARE pretty weird in their "business tactics" and in what they believe is "clever" :whistling:

Thanks for clarifying... I think the comments which the OP triggered are quite right, even not much to do with why.the Pub has been closed... but still much is true and spot on... Thai ARE pretty weird in their "business tactics" and in what they believe is "clever" :whistling:

Why the pub closed was due to the same reasons as why Lord Horatio Nelson's, The Green Bottle, Out of Africa BBQ's failed. Too many partners and shareholders, I got sick of their bad mouthing their "mates" and put it down to just another example of farangs screwing farangs on this island.,

Why the pub closed was due to the same reasons as why Lord Horatio Nelson's, The Green Bottle, Out of Africa BBQ's failed. Too many partners and shareholders, I got sick of their bad mouthing their "mates" and put it down to just another example of farangs screwing farangs on this island.,

Too true, Farang eat Farang here.:angry:

Too true, Farang eat Farang here.:angry:

brings a new meaning to ' Swedish Meatballs ' :bah:

I remember some time ago, i wanted to take a lease on a property that has been empty for the last 10 years, when we were at a very last stage and asked the landlord to register the lease at the land office, he told me that he couldn't do it because "there was something very bad with the building...." i didn't want to know more (probably a spirit in the house) and the building is still empty.....

The usual reason for not wanting to register at the Land Office is that the rent is therefore declared and the Revenue Dept will come sniffing round for tax.

Crusty wrote

Correct Crusty, I remember them having a good customer base at one time but a few people in that place used to like spreading s**t and general bad mouthing and now no customers, no suprise to me that this has happened.

100% wrong only 2 partners at the end of the day Jim and T-Bone, closed by mutual consent and all parties happy with compensation

Ah!!! Some water!!!!!!! :lol:

oh right though u lot was talking about the old gym.netptunes. what happened to that. whilst i accidently changed the topic

100% wrong only 2 partners at the end of the day Jim and T-Bone, closed by mutual consent and all parties happy with compensation

:whistling: Not if you listened to a guy called Greg and a guy named Austin ( both claimed they were investors )

:whistling: Not if you listened to a guy called Greg and a guy named Austin ( both claimed they were investors )

Much could be said regarding these posts but I'm just glad you're not discussing my business dealings here......surely this stuff is pub talk and totally subjective without knowing the full facts.....even if you did its no one's business here surely?