Orange Trees, Where To Find?

hi, i love fresh squeezed OJ in the morning but oranges just seem to get more and more expensive, up to 80b/kg now and even in the peak season they are about 35b/kg

i would like to grow my own but have never seen an orange orchard here. where are they? and does anyone know where to buy reasonable size trees?

i want the thai oranges, Thai Sweet Orange Som Sai Nam Pung or Thai Tangerines Som Keaw Wan trees, for juice only, don't need to look good.

thanks, steve

by the way, just found this thai website has some info but no info about where to buy trees

http://translate.google.co.th/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://www.phtnet.org/postech/web/tangerine/pages/maintain.htm&ei=8T09TP2xHYmevQP1uoTnDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25E0%25B8%2595%25E0%25B9%2589%25E0%25B8%2599%25E0%25B8%25AA%25E0%25B9%2589%25E0%25B8%25A1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DeJu%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Di

Edited by stevehaigh

Yeah, fresh squeezed OJ would be a nice way to start the day. But be very careful with investing in orange trees; educate yourself on 'Citrus greening' disease (Huang Long Bing) and inspect the plants you are buying for signs of this bacterial infection and the

'asian citrus psyllid' insect vector, and continue monitoring and pest management indefinitely. It is of particular concern in the north of Chiang mai province, but a danger for all of Thailand and Asia. It has seriously set back the orange industry in Florida USA.

Soidog 2 called my attention to this serious disease and we collaborated on diagnosis and DNA testing through Chiang Mai University for his trees. If you're in Issan it may not be prevalent in your area, yet. See previous (2009) thread in this forum.

Don't get discouraged and forgo your OJ, just be aware and cautious, HLB is devastating and there is no practical cure, only prevention. don

Edited by drtreelove

Better quality trees are available mostly in the north.

Ocasionally you find some at the markets/fairs that smaller towns hold.

In the off season, I juice sweet starfruit, just as nutricious and delicious too.

Much easier to grow and from a couple of trees you will have ample suplies.

Orange trees are dificult customers, do like the doctor says and learn first.

Regards

Better quality trees are available mostly in the north.

Ocasionally you find some at the markets/fairs that smaller towns hold.

In the off season, I juice sweet starfruit, just as nutricious and delicious too.

Much easier to grow and from a couple of trees you will have ample suplies.

Orange trees are dificult customers, do like the doctor says and learn first.

Regards

interesting tip about star fruit, i'll try that

esbkk, can you be more specific about the trees in Pak Chong? i can't see a Road 22 around there. do you mean the main highway, route 2? i've bought trees on the road side garden shops on the east bound side at the top of the hill many times, but never seen any orange trees. maybe you mean a different place?

i'm in Cha-am (Hua-hin area). its very low rainfall here but we do have water to irrigate with and the soil seems ok so its probably worth a try with a few trees

In Muaklek there is also a government tree nursery that sell very cheap trees, from 10 Bahts a piece and, after buying from both places, I found the trees usually more healthy than those you can find on the side of the highway. But I'm not sure you can find orange trees there, the highway offers probably a wider selection. Anyway both places are very close to each other, when you are in the area, it 's easy to check both.

If you want to drive a bit further you should try Chiangmai Thanathon Co. Ltd. Their orchards out of Fang are second to none in Thailand and their oranges will rival anything the US has. They have one orchard 800 plus rai thats is a show piece and yes you can buy the product. This farm is on my tour list when friends or family come to town. http://tntorchard.com/

Many orchards in the Fang-area, which is in the northern part of Chiang Mai province, but possibly easier to reach via Chiang Rai, which is closer. We see the packing-houses, along the main road, when travelling up to Thaton (en-route to Mae Salong).