Termites....What To Do?

pingping

Not sure where you are, but here on Samui there is a company called EcoPest. Do a search on "pest control thailand eco friendly" and you will get other companies in different areas.

Personally I buy the chemicals myself and spray every month. Not difficult

We hired Global Treat several months ago and took their year contract. They came back just a few weeks ago and the problem of termites eating our baseboards had spread considerably. Time will tell but so far we are not impressed. My wife grumbles that she has to follow them around because they are too lazy to do a thorough investigation of the house without supervision.

This last time they sprayed quite a bit behind my computer desk and I am now a major sneezer. They supposedly use herbs or spices or some such stuff but my nose and sinuses don't seem to like it.

Our next effort will be to find someone who can replace all our baseboards with something termites do not eat...

We hired Global Treat several months ago and took their year contract. They came back just a few weeks ago and the problem of termites eating our baseboards had spread considerably. Time will tell but so far we are not impressed. My wife grumbles that she has to follow them around because they are too lazy to do a thorough investigation of the house without supervision.

This last time they sprayed quite a bit behind my computer desk and I am now a major sneezer. They supposedly use herbs or spices or some such stuff but my nose and sinuses don't seem to like it.

Our next effort will be to find someone who can replace all our baseboards with something termites do not eat...

What are your current base boards made from?

D

one other thing you can do is to interrupt their tunnels to your space.as far as i know they only live in the ground or in those termite hills you see sometime because they need are very specific temperature for breeding.they come and go to your place through the little tunnels they make from wood fiber.scrape them off as much as you can daily, where they come into your building or where ever you see them. they can only come and go protected this way as they are a preferred food source for many other critters.

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

If you want cutting edge stuff see:

chiangmai-rajabhat-university

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know what this is all about , watch the video here:

Paul Stamets on 6 ways mushrooms can save the world

and watch from 13 minutes in.

Great video.

It will revolutionize the pest contol industry.

Edited by whiterussian

I've never had termites in the house, but have had them amongst wood piles that I had stored outside. The Boric Acid recipe detailed in the thread linked too below killed them very rapidly, just as it does ants. It is an extremely environmentally friendly solution (unless you are an ant or a termite!). Give it a try!

Boric Acid Ant Killer

Pingpong, you're probably not the only one in the building with the problem. Talk with the building management. We had termites in our 15th story unit when we rented at an older high rise condo building. Turns out many people in the building had the same problem. Naive folks would say "how can you have termites, you're on the 15th floor and the building is made of concrete?". Yeah, but there were so many unoccupied units in the building that the termites could live in the wooden fixtures of a unit without anyone doing anything and swarm to invade neighboring units. We know residents who had so much termite damage that their kitchen drawers were unusable and they warned you not to lean against their kitchen counters during a party.

The building management was all-too-familiar with the problem and sent in a crew that did a rudimentary job of spraying Lord-knows-what. We had to point out the exit holes of the swarm and the damaged areas to them. After that we bought some aerosel spray at Tops, something with a nifty spray tube, and Hubby shot some of the stuff into the exit holes in the walls once a month. We didn't have a problem after that.

If you want cutting edge stuff see:

chiangmai-rajabhat-university

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know what this is all about , watch the video here:

Paul Stamets on 6 ways mushrooms can save the world

and watch from 13 minutes in.

Great video.

It will revolutionize the pest contol industry.

Video will not play past 5m 03 secs, so any chance of a brief precis on what he says after the 13 minute mark?

^ Hi, just drag the marker to 13 mins.. I guess you have tried this already...

Luckily enough it has a transcript:

I became interested in entomopathogenic fungi -- fungi that kill insects. Our house was being destroyed by carpenter ants. So I went to the EPA homepage, and they were recommending studies with metarhizium species of a group of fungi that kill carpenter ants, as well as termites. I did something that nobody else had done. I actually chased the mycelium when it stopped producing spores. These are spores -- this is in their spores. I was able to morph the culture into a non-sporulating form. And so the industry has spent over 100 million dollars specifically on bait stations to prevent termites from eating your house. But the insects aren't stupid, and they would avoid the spores when they came close, and so I morphed the cultures into a non-sporulating form. And I got my daughter's Barbie doll dish, I put it right where a bunch of carpenter ants were making debris fields, every day, in my house, and the ants were attracted to the mycelium, because there's no spores. They gave it to the queen. One week later, I had no sawdust piles whatsoever.

And then -- a delicate dance between dinner and death -- the mycelium is consumed by the ants, they become mummified and, boing, a mushroom pops out of their head. (Laughter) Now after sporulation, the spores repel. So the house is no longer suitable for invasion. So you have a near-permanent solution for re-invasion of termites. And so my house came down, I received my first patent against carpenter ants, termites and fire ants. Then we tried extracts, and lo and behold, we can steer insects to different directions. This has huge implications. I then received my second patent -- and this is a big one. It's been called an Alexander Graham Bell patent -- It covers over 200,000 species. This is the most disruptive technology, I've been told by executives of the pesticide industry, that they have ever witnessed. This could totally revamp the pesticide industries throughout the world. You could fly 100 Ph.D. students under the umbrella of this concept, because my supposition is that entomopathogenic fungi, prior to sporulation, attract the very insects that are otherwise repelled by those spores.

Here is a short clip of the fungi cordyceps at work:

I presume the local Chiangmai uni that is growing the fungus is trying to develop bio pest control...

Edited by whiterussian

^ Hi, just drag the marker to 13 mins.. I guess you have tried this already...

Luckily enough it has a transcript:

I became interested in entomopathogenic fungi -- fungi that kill insects. Our house was being destroyed by carpenter ants. So I went to the EPA homepage, and they were recommending studies with metarhizium species of a group of fungi that kill carpenter ants, as well as termites. I did something that nobody else had done. I actually chased the mycelium when it stopped producing spores. These are spores -- this is in their spores. I was able to morph the culture into a non-sporulating form. And so the industry has spent over 100 million dollars specifically on bait stations to prevent termites from eating your house. But the insects aren't stupid, and they would avoid the spores when they came close, and so I morphed the cultures into a non-sporulating form. And I got my daughter's Barbie doll dish, I put it right where a bunch of carpenter ants were making debris fields, every day, in my house, and the ants were attracted to the mycelium, because there's no spores. They gave it to the queen. One week later, I had no sawdust piles whatsoever.

And then -- a delicate dance between dinner and death -- the mycelium is consumed by the ants, they become mummified and, boing, a mushroom pops out of their head. (Laughter) Now after sporulation, the spores repel. So the house is no longer suitable for invasion. So you have a near-permanent solution for re-invasion of termites. And so my house came down, I received my first patent against carpenter ants, termites and fire ants. Then we tried extracts, and lo and behold, we can steer insects to different directions. This has huge implications. I then received my second patent -- and this is a big one. It's been called an Alexander Graham Bell patent -- It covers over 200,000 species. This is the most disruptive technology, I've been told by executives of the pesticide industry, that they have ever witnessed. This could totally revamp the pesticide industries throughout the world. You could fly 100 Ph.D. students under the umbrella of this concept, because my supposition is that entomopathogenic fungi, prior to sporulation, attract the very insects that are otherwise repelled by those spores.

Here is a short clip of the fungi cordyceps at work:

I presume the local Chiangmai uni that is growing the fungus is trying to develop bio pest control...

Thanks for the update WR.

Regards

Mickmac

I used cement composite baseboards in our house...available at any building suppliers..better get a carpenter to install mate ..mitre'd inside/ outside corners etc... BUT you have to tell 'em otherwise its 90 deg and cement filler... lol