Did Abhisit Text Himself Into More Trouble?

webfact

What and how exactly did PM gain financially from sending sms?

..Well said....."What and how exactly did the former PM Samak gain financially from hosting a cooking show.. :bah::blink::o

He was paid 5,000 baht per trip. Which HE gave to his chauffeur. The limit is 3,000 baht.

Smak was also GIVEN FREE political airtime worth 100's of thousands of baht

to talk HIS politics, incidentally while cooking.

His own lawyers told him to drop the job, and he ignored them.

And then he lied about it in court. And got caught.

Abhisit didn't gain financially from, send this request for feed back from people with phones.

And the the privacy argument is utter BS, because we get dozens of SPAM SMS messages we can't shut off weekly.

That Samak misused the cooking show for his politics was never part of the court case against him. That is you your propaganda agitation.

A TV channel you just can switch, you don't had to watch a cooking show with Samak, but is difficult to avoid a spam SMS. And this particular SMS didn't contain something useful information as some fusion food recipes, extraordinaire, like pork leg stewed in coca-cola.

If i send a SMS, i will have to pay for it. How big would my telephone bill for 17 million SMS?

I got that Spam SMS too, that was a while ago, cant remember what he wrote exactly, something like. 'Greetings, it is me, Your PM, and i promise everything will be well soon and back too normalcy. send a SMS to me if you wanna know more'.

It smelled fishy like your usual scam sale spam message you can get in e-mail. but i never get something like that on the phone before. It was on a post paid number, so i registered it with my passport and maybe even with my wp, but i never apply for a service to get messages from Abhisit, nor gave him otherwise my number. He should had actually knew that i am just a migrant with a wp and not a thai citizen. Anyway i hope he don't get 5 years jail now for trying to drag foreigners into issues of Thai domestic politics, that would be a little bit over the top.

But if that SMS violates the Thai law, he has to face the consequences. Don't matter if he is the PM or had only 'good intentions'.

It is OK for PM to send out free SMS for free. Unless your name is Thaksin (or Somchai, or Samak, etc.)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you Reds think that Chalerm is going to be a better PM than Abhisit is? It does look as though there is a good chance of that happening and I expect that we will see some of the posters here suddenly become very quiet when they see what a mess their "Champions of Democracy and Free Speech" will make of the country.

The Pheu Thai Party Brain Trust... Chavalit and Chalerm... Put Thailand's future in that mush of grey matter?

ptpbraintrust.jpg

No, Chalerm is not, and will never be as good as PM as Mark.

But sad to say, Mark isn't really doing his job.

IMHO, someone else did it for him, and just use his baby face as front.

Do you Reds think that Chalerm is going to be a better PM than Abhisit is? It does look as though there is a good chance of that happening and I expect that we will see some of the posters here suddenly become very quiet when they see what a mess their "Champions of Democracy and Free Speech" will make of the country.

The Pheu Thai Party Brain Trust... Chavalit and Chalerm... Put Thailand's future in that mush of grey matter?

ptpbraintrust.jpg

ok then, Chavalit is the go-to guy for PM.

The problems in this country will continue until graft/ corruption is eliminated. I heard recently that the government is to give new help to the agricultural sector. Specifically they are going to subsidise maize production. 1 firm stands to gain hugely from this subsidy: CP foods. The price of eggs is sky rocketting. Who is benefitting from this price hike? CP foods. Who is a shareholder of CP foods? Abhisits father. Nothing illegal probably, but it becomes obvious that, whilst not yet on the grand scale of Thaksin he's on the gravy train.

The judiciary are in the pockets of the ruling elite. If the SMS scandal had involved a Peua Thai MP they'd be banned from politics by now. And what about the illegal donation to the Democrat party? When the PPP government was overthrown by the judiciary on behalf of the ruling elite it was done with indecent haste and the party given inadequate time to prepare their defence but the illegal donations issue jhas drifted on for well over a year now.

Meanwhile to poor continue to be the losers. with Thailand having one of the worst disparities of wealth and poeverty in the world.

Your post is riddled with inaccuracies, conjecture, and the hyperbole.

Can you document this is “new” maize production subsidy that you have heard of? I can find nothing on it. Is this a program to increase the subsidy for growers to purchase seeds? Is it a guaranteed price program? You cannot just say you “heard” of a new program that will benefit CP Foods and the say it is corruption.

Abhisit’s father is a major stockholder of CP? Can you document that? The SET website shows the major stockholder of every publicly listed corporation. For CP I can find no mention of a major stockholder with the surname “Vejjajiva”. As your assertion is soley an unfounded rumor, this borders on slander.

Your remarks on the SMS case and if it was a PTP MP he would be banned is pure conjecture with no basis.

The PPP government was not overthrown by the judiciary. The facts of the case are well known and your statement ignores them. The PPP was given plenty of time to refute the charges, the problem was they couldn’t and they knew it.

Actually, the PPP had more time from recommendation of the EC for dissolution then is being given the Democrats. The EC recommended the PPP be dissolved in July 2008, but the Constitution Court did not hear the case until November 2008, over 4 months. The EC recommended the Democrats be dissolved last month and case will be heard in August, barely 2 months.

Finally, the income gap. This is just an outright lie. Thailand income gap is nowhere near the worst in the world, and is actually better then China, Malaysia, or the Philippines and is just about the same as the US.

TH

• Like 1

The problems in this country will continue until graft/ corruption is eliminated. I heard recently that the government is to give new help to the agricultural sector. Specifically they are going to subsidise maize production. 1 firm stands to gain hugely from this subsidy: CP foods. The price of eggs is sky rocketting. Who is benefitting from this price hike? CP foods. Who is a shareholder of CP foods? Abhisits father. Nothing illegal probably, but it becomes obvious that, whilst not yet on the grand scale of Thaksin he's on the gravy train.

The judiciary are in the pockets of the ruling elite. If the SMS scandal had involved a Peua Thai MP they'd be banned from politics by now. And what about the illegal donation to the Democrat party? When the PPP government was overthrown by the judiciary on behalf of the ruling elite it was done with indecent haste and the party given inadequate time to prepare their defence but the illegal donations issue jhas drifted on for well over a year now.

Meanwhile to poor continue to be the losers. with Thailand having one of the worst disparities of wealth and poeverty in the world.

Can you document this is “new” maize production subsidy that you have heard of? I can find nothing on it. Is this a program to increase the subsidy for growers to purchase seeds? Is it a guaranteed price program? You cannot just say you “heard” of a new program that will benefit CP Foods and the say it is corruption.

Abhisit’s father is a major stockholder of CP? Can you document that? The SET website shows the major stockholder of every publicly listed corporation. For CP I can find no mention of a major stockholder with the surname “Vejjajiva”. As your assertion is soley an unfounded rumor, this borders on slander.

Your remarks on the SMS case and if it was a PTP MP he would be banned is pure conjecture with no basis.

The PPP government was not overthrown by the judiciary. The facts of the case are well known and your statement ignores them. The PPP was given plenty of time to refute the charges, the problem was they couldn’t and they knew it.

Actually, the PPP had more time from recommendation of the EC for dissolution then is being given the Democrats. The EC recommended the PPP be dissolved in July 2008, but the Constitution Court did not hear the case until November 2008, over 4 months. The EC recommended the Democrats be dissolved last month and case will be heard in August, barely 2 months.

Finally, the income gap. This is just an outright lie. Thailand income gap is nowhere near the worst in the world, and is actually better then China, Malaysia, or the Philippines and is just about the same as the US.

TH

Thank you for taking the time to dissect that nonsense point by point.

Your efforts are appreciated.

..Well said....."What and how exactly did the former PM Samak gain financially from hosting a cooking show.. :bah::blink::o

Maybe they should bring back Samak. jap.gif

Stacks of ludicrous cases.

Political parties filled with mafiosa and robber barons and god knows what else.

Every poltical party disolved or on the verge of it.

Politcal violence common place.

Hate filled lunatics threatening everyone they dont like

People sick of the lot them.

With all politicians, street camapaigns and poltical parties so discredited and people just wanting to get on with their lives, who does this favour.

• Like 1

Political parties filled with mafiosa and robber barons and god knows what else.

With all politicians, street camapaigns and poltical parties so discredited and people just wanting to get on with their lives, who does this favour.

Chalerm's latest campaign pledges-

1. Bring back Thaksin within 6 months.

2. Transfer the current head of the DSI, Mr Tharit, within 24 hours.

Has he ever come up with any constructive policies?

Can you document this is "new" maize production subsidy that you have heard of? I can find nothing on it. Is this a program to increase the subsidy for growers to purchase seeds? Is it a guaranteed price program? You cannot just say you "heard" of a new program that will benefit CP Foods and the say it is corruption.

Abhisit's father is a major stockholder of CP? Can you document that? The SET website shows the major stockholder of every publicly listed corporation. For CP I can find no mention of a major stockholder with the surname "Vejjajiva". As your assertion is soley an unfounded rumor, this borders on slander.

The PPP government was not overthrown by the judiciary. The facts of the case are well known and your statement ignores them. The PPP was given plenty of time to refute the charges, the problem was they couldn't and they knew it.

TH

...and is just about the same as the US- well with up to 80 million Americans unable to afford proper health care, comparing Thailand to the USD is hardly a recommendation!

Oh and a simple Google search reveals Abhisits father to be a director of CP foods. A certain English language newspaper that can no longer be quoted on this forum, notes today, 25th July, that Abhists father is profiting from the egg price rise. so I think thakinkarma and Thaihome, you need to do a little more research before you slag off my opinions!

That would be the only coherent organized power structure in the whole country; The Army.

Which might explain some, why the country keeps falling back into their arms.

The political classes are in general so inept, corrupt often dangerous and ALSO disorganized,

the army becomes the only available fall back position... sure ain't the BiB.

Chalerm's latest campaign pledges-

1. Bring back Thaksin within 6 months.

2. Transfer the current head of the DSI, Mr Tharit, within 24 hours.

Has he ever come up with any constructive policies?

Build himself a house.

Oh and a simple Google search reveals Abhisits father to be a director of CP foods. A certain English language newspaper that can no longer be quoted on this forum, notes today, 25th July, that Abhists father is profiting from the egg price rise. so I think thakinkarma and Thaihome, you need to do a little more research before you slag off my opinions!

You cannot say that the government doesn't handle the egg problem.

1899123093426.jpg

And like Thaihome recommended go to the SET website. On the SET company profile for CHAROEN POKPHAND FOODS PLC Athasit Vejjajiva is listed on two position in the Board of Directors, as Independent Director and as member of the Audit Committee. As Director he receives a remuneration of 100,000 Baht per month.[Warning: PDF file] Being a director is still a difference from being the major shareholder. you have to be more accurate to prevent that the pettifogger slag you off.

And as reminder, be careful to call Abhisit unusual rich,he will file a defamation suit against you and you risk to spend 6-12 month in jail.

His wealth is result of a family inheritance and nothing else.

------------------

The 'income gap' issue is an interesting topic.

It comes on Point 2 on Abhisits famous five-Point roadmap for reconciliation. First, of course, to uphold the monarchy. And right after this, not lesser important comes:

. The Prime Minister highlighted the

need for reform at the national level. Although the current conflict may be regarded as a political

one, it is in fact based on injustices that exist in society and its economic system. ...

Meanwhile on an international political stage Abhisit downplayed these "fundamental problems of social injustice" and called it an issue of perception (fallacy), merely just a feeling:

While protesters complained about inequality, Abhisit said a widely-used measure of income inequality

shows the rate is "probably about the same" as in the United States. He added that his economic stimulus

policies last year had improved indices of poverty.

"Nevertheless, because the perception is there, and perhaps feelings are there about inequality, we will

address them," he said.

That means basically that point 2 of the roadmap is already solved, because that problem don't really exist. But hey, if you want we can talk about. All what is needed is addressed in Point 3 of the roadmap: Freedom of the media "The government will ensure that the media will function as a constructive tool."

• 3 weeks later...

ptpbraintrust.jpg

ok then, Chavalit is the go-to guy for PM.

Pheu Thai to push for Chavalit as next PM

By The Nation

The Pheu Thai Party will, at the upcoming poll, campaign for its party chairman Chavalit Yongchaiyudh as the next prime minister, party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said on Wednesday.

Prompong was speaking after Chavalit paid a visit on Tuesday to his Nakhon Phanom constituents, pledging to contest the race for the position of prime minister in a second term.

Chavalit served briefly in 1997 before resigning to take responsibility for the financial crisis.

"Chavalit is the pride of Pheu Thai," the party spokesman said.

Chavalit is expected to run for a House seat in Nakhon Phanom at the general election in order to qualify for wrestling premiership from Abhisit Vejjajiva.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/08/11/politics/Pheu-Thai-to-push-for-Chavalit-as-next-PM-30135682.html

quote 'kuffki' 2010-07-16 06:26'

He was paid 5,000 baht per trip. Which HE gave to his chauffeur. The limit is 3,000 baht.

Samak was also GIVEN FREE political airtime worth 100's of thousands of baht

Abhisit didn't gain financially from, sending this request for feed back from people with phones.

And the the privacy argument is utter BS, because we get dozens of SPAM SMS messages we can't shut off weekly.

That Samak misused the cooking show for his politics was never part of the court case against him. That is you your propaganda agitation.

A TV channel you just can switch, you don't had to watch a cooking show with Samak, but is difficult to avoid a spam SMS. And this particular SMS didn't contain something useful information as some fusion food recipes, extraordinaire, like pork leg stewed in coca-cola.

If i send a SMS, i will have to pay for it. How big would my telephone bill for 17 million SMS?

I got that Spam SMS too, that was a while ago, cant remember what he wrote exactly, something like. 'Greetings, it is me, Your PM, and i promise everything will be well soon and back too normalcy. send a SMS to me if you wanna know more'.

It smelled fishy like your usual scam sale spam message you can get in e-mail. but i never get something like that on the phone before. It was on a post paid number, so i registered it with my passport and maybe even with my wp, but i never apply for a service to get messages from Abhisit, nor gave him otherwise my number. He should had actually knew that i am just a migrant with a wp and not a thai citizen. Anyway i hope he don't get 5 years jail now for trying to drag foreigners into issues of Thai domestic politics, that would be a little bit over the top.

But if that SMS violates the Thai law, he has to face the consequences. Don't matter if he is the PM or had only 'good intentions'.

It is OK for PM to send out free SMS for free. Unless your name is Thaksin (or Somchai, or Samak, etc.)

Mazeltov, if you can't read the printed words of several websites, and news journals,

and viable pundits from multiple sides of the questions of the day, and come to valid conclusions

as to facts, that match across the board, then don't insult the intelligence of those that can and do.

I am not a propagandist, because I am not Thai, nor paid by any to sell their point of view. A la Amsterdam.

It's obvious what Samak was doing and the court ruling against him was published copiously with quotes.

If you want to believe counter propaganda to the contrary of facts I could care less.

But don't aim your miscomprehensions at me any more.

If he cooked for free, and didn't take advantage by talking his political spin on a bully pulpit provided

for free by a concessionaires supplier, he might have beaten this, but he was to arrogant.

End of story.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Can you document this is "new" maize production subsidy that you have heard of? I can find nothing on it. Is this a program to increase the subsidy for growers to purchase seeds? Is it a guaranteed price program? You cannot just say you "heard" of a new program that will benefit CP Foods and the say it is corruption.

Abhisit's father is a major stockholder of CP? Can you document that? The SET website shows the major stockholder of every publicly listed corporation. For CP I can find no mention of a major stockholder with the surname "Vejjajiva". As your assertion is soley an unfounded rumor, this borders on slander.

The PPP government was not overthrown by the judiciary. The facts of the case are well known and your statement ignores them. The PPP was given plenty of time to refute the charges, the problem was they couldn't and they knew it.

TH

Agreed.

By The Nation

The Pheu Thai Party will, at the upcoming poll, campaign for its party chairman Chavalit Yongchaiyudh as the next prime minister, party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said on Wednesday.

Prompong was speaking after Chavalit paid a visit on Tuesday to his Nakhon Phanom constituents, pledging to contest the race for the position of prime minister in a second term.

Chavalit served briefly in 1997 before resigning to take responsibility for the financial crisis.

Chavalit is expected to run for a House seat in Nakhon Phanom at the general election in order to qualify for wrestling premiership from Abhisit Vejjajiva.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/08/11/politics/Pheu-Thai-to-push-for-Chavalit-as-next-PM-30135682.html

This is off-topic, off OP, has nothing to do with PM Abhisit's SMS-es when he became PM. It only goes well with the previous replies which were also off-topic. I think PT pushing K. Chavalit as their next PM deserve a separate thread.

Samak was also GIVEN FREE political airtime worth 100's of thousands of baht

Abhisit didn't gain financially from, sending this request for feed back from people with phones.

Mazeltov, if you can't read the printed words of several websites, and news journals,

and viable pundits from multiple sides of the questions of the day, and come to valid conclusions

as to facts, that match across the board, then don't insult the intelligence of those that can and do.

I am not a propagandist, because I am not Thai, nor paid by any to sell their point of view. A la Amsterdam.

It's obvious what Samak was doing and the court ruling against him was published copiously with quotes.

If you want to believe counter propaganda to the contrary of facts I could care less.

If he cooked for free, and didn't take advantage by talking his political spin on a bully pulpit provided

for free by a concessionaires supplier, he might have beaten this, but he was to arrogant.

End of story.

Didn't the late K. Samak when asked a difficult question by a female reporter reply that she should not bother him, but stay in the kitchen?

• Like 1

By The Nation

http://www.nationmul...M-30135682.html

This is off-topic, off OP, has nothing to do with PM Abhisit's SMS-es when he became PM. It only goes well with the previous replies which were also off-topic. I think PT pushing K. Chavalit as their next PM deserve a separate thread.

More appropriately a different space time continum...

I agree.

There's more articles on the topic available for discussion, but I hesitate to post further off-topic here. For the first news, it dovetailed perfectly on to the reply made previously (even though it was a facetious prognostication, it foretold the future precisely), but I agree it's subject matter is not on titled topic.

If the law can't be applied equally to everyone, then those applying it need to be replaced with those who can and will.

I agree with the first part, but how do you exactly 'replace' the ultra rich business circle, the Bangkok elite, AND the army - the whole 'Establishment' - who would be on the asses of anyone trying to do their job

which might result adversely toward the former's interests?

End of story.

Again: That Samak misused the cooking show for his politics was never part of the court case against him. That is just you your propaganda agitation.

repeating that fantasy without backing it up with "hard facts" doesn't make it true.

End of story.

Again: That Samak misused the cooking show for his politics was never part of the court case against him. That is just you your propaganda agitation.

repeating that fantasy without backing it up with "hard facts" doesn't make it true.

Denial of reality doesn't win your point.

End of story.

Denial of reality doesn't win your point.

The late K. Samak had his premiership terminated as there were (deemed) clear traces of guild and it could be concluded he was an employee. INdeed no references to using his show as political platform. The name of the program "Tasting and Grumbling" suggest though that he grumbled about things. I have never seen the show, so don't know what he grumbled about. I can only speculate, but won't do that.