Music In Pubs In Chiang Mai

DavidOxon

When you go into a pub or bar in Chiang Mai, what sort of music do you like to hear?

Modern Thai,

Old fashioned Thai,

Western Rock?

I think all bars reflect the taste and style of their owner and

have the owner's 'feel' about them, a lot of this from the music being played (or not!).

Some of the background music is dire it does have to be said, the same endless

loop of cheesy hits from the nether reaches of the 20th century!

I personally like bars with live music, and enjoy a mix of Thai and western styles.

I've been a few times to a street bar on the Big C corner of Hang Dong road and they

have an excellent and very popular 3 piece local house band, starts around 8 . . .

Not a big fan of Karaoke in bars, too noisy by far, have dabbled once or twice,with the microphone

but not for a long time, last time was with with ThaiPauly in his rooftop bar if I remember correctly.

(Large amounts of alcohol were surely to blame!)

David

I like pretty much anything if it's live and played well. Thai or western, although I don't understend the lyrics if it's thai you still know when music is played well or not.

I've found that the Guitar Man near the night bazzar offers pretty much everything in music from western rock/funk and jamming nights to regular local thai bands which are of good quality. There's a good mix of western & thai customers as well which makes for a good atmosphere.

The Riversidde also used to have very good bands doing both thai & western songs but I've not been for quite some time now.

Cheers