Thai Customs Make Million-Dollar Ivory Seizure

webfact

Thai customs make million-dollar ivory seizure

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai customs said Friday they had seized smuggled ivory worth more than one million dollars in a shipment sent from Kenya to Bangkok's main international airport.

Officials acted on a tip-off to find 117 elephant tusks and nine other pieces of ivory, weighing 765 kilos (1,683 pounds) and valued at 38.3 million baht (1.2 million dollars), at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Wednesday.

No arrests have been made in connection with the discovery of the contraband, which was labelled as furniture and plastic folders.

The shipment is illegal under international laws that ban the trafficking of endangered species and their products.

Wildlife experts say Thailand is a commonly-used transit point for the illegal trafficking of animal parts.

Since February Thai customs officials have intercepted three large hauls of ivory totalling 652 tusks, worth 228.3 million baht.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-16

And so this goes on and on.

Soon there will be nothing left. What sort of legacy are we going to leave our grandchildren?

Our world is a paradise, if only people would realise this and not bent on destroying it for the sake of greed and profit.

Human beings, the most dangerous and destructive animals on the planet.

post-110219-068839500 1279279449_thumb.j

post-110219-056980800 1279279458_thumb.j

Edited by Beetlejuice

Sad - a bit bluddy late for the poor animals that are now dead. Why are we unable to stop this?

So, when the only animal that is left on the planet is man - do we pull each others teeth, or cut off each others penis's, (I am not sure which bit will go into "mans fin soup").

I am glad that I will not be around when things get really bad. I have loved all that I have seen of this earth - and I am happy to remember the good bits. RIP