Strange Goings On With My Laptop

bangkokrick

Hi All,

I have a strange problem with my laptop that I hope someone can help me with.When the volume is on my mouse pad won't work. When the sound is on mute the mouse pad works.

Also when I the volume on my graphics card driver screen shows up?

I have updated all my drivers to try to get rid of the problem and also run virus scans, but I still can't seem to cure it.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers, Rick

Sorry, I can't figure out what you are talking about here.

I wonder whether this could be a hardware problem, some power related fault like a short circuit - turning off the volume usually turns of any current on the audio output. Turning on the volume increases the power output on the audio jacks, and I assume this might somehow affect the Touchpad device. Still, it seems kind of unlikely.

On the other hand mouse and audio drivers are not really related on software/driver level - some devices are internally connected via USB and might interfere, but not sound and Touchpad AFAIK.

So my guess is that this is a bizarre hardware problem, or a malware infection. Or your problem analysis is faulty ;) What do you mean with the statement above?

welo

Edited by welo

Sorry, I can't figure out what you are talking about here.

I wonder whether this could be a hardware problem, some power related fault like a short circuit - turning off the volume usually turns of any current on the audio output. Turning on the volume increases the power output on the audio jacks, and I assume this might somehow affect the Touchpad device. Still, it seems kind of unlikely.

On the other hand mouse and audio drivers are not really related on software/driver level - some devices are internally connected via USB and might interfere, but not sound and Touchpad AFAIK.

So my guess is that this is a bizarre hardware problem, or a malware infection. Or your problem analysis is faulty ;) What do you mean with the statement above?

welo

Hi Welo,

Thanks for the reply and sorry that I as not too clear in the explanation. When I turn on the volume I get the intel graphics driver widow popping up?

I have scanned the machine with everything I have and also the Microsoft ( malicious software tool )and found nothing, so I guess hardware related.

I did not install new programs it just happened, but it's a very annoying problem because i like to listen to music and check out Thai visa.

Cheers, Rick

well, that is the first time I have heard of this. I suggest doing a system restore to a point prior to when this started happening.

Hi BWP,

I tried that and it won't restore at the point where I want it too. Very strange situation. Sometimes my keyboard won't type as well.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Rick

After your clarification and your troubles with system restore I doubt its a hardware issue. Such erratic behavior would rather point to a malware infection IMHO.

One more question: when changing the volume, do you use special media keys on the laptop? If you change the volume using the mouse and the volume control in the system tray, do you experience the same problems?

If you don't have a backup of important data on your PC, this should be your number one priority now. If you have any external storage device with an old backup, it might however be better to keep it safe and not connect it to your PC for now.

Actions you could take for further troubleshooting

• Start Windows in Safe Mode (F8 during startup) and observe the behavior
  • Disable all startup programs - hit WIN-R and type 'msconfig.exe', change to system start and disable everything
  • Download a Linux LiveCD (eg Ubuntu) and verify the problem - if the problem persists, a hardware problem is verly likely.
  • Which antivirus programs did you run? I recommend Malwarebytes Antimalware, Hitman Pro, ESET Free Online Scanner or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. Run full system scans, start with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes.

Please report any abnormalities that you encounter. If you have troubles downloading or accessing websites, or one of the programs cannot update, please report this as well. This might help

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3/3000-2239_4-10895604.html?tag=mncol

http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe

http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/

Re-reading your latest post I see another possibility:

Assuming that you use the media keys for volume control, the connection between volume and Touchpad might indeed be the keyboard, and it might not be directly related to the audio system, but to the keyboard. Your recent comment on the keyboard not working makes this possibility more likely.

I further assume that your keyboard comes with a special launcher application that allows configuration of the special media keys - maybe one is configured to launch the display properties.

Try to find the keyboard program launcher in the autostart list (msconfig.exe) and disable it.

If you have an external (USB) keyboard then use this keyboard and see if the problem persists when you don't press any keys on your built-in keyboard.

Removing the keyboard entry from the Device Manager as suggested by sulasno is a good point as well. Sulasno, I assume you suggest to remove the entries for the USB peripherals only, not the entries for the USB root hub and the USB host controller, right?

Rick, please provide as much information as possible. Remote diagnosis are pretty hard, you can help a lot by providing detailed reports. If you proceed with any actions, please report about your doings and the outcome, even if it doesn't solve the problem.

If you have questions about a suggested step, please google or ask here.

welo

I tried that and it won't restore at the point where I want it too. Very strange situation. Sometimes my keyboard won't type as well.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Rick

Maybe you already checked if any of the buttons are stuck. I don't mean it could explain everything but you have a very complex portfolio of symptoms... maybe there are more than one thing causing this.Maybe try to boot from a live CD/USB to see if this is a hardware issue.

And take a backup while you still can...

Edited by siamect

Re-reading your latest post I see another possibility:

Assuming that you use the media keys for volume control, the connection between volume and Touchpad might indeed be the keyboard, and it might not be directly related to the audio system, but to the keyboard. Your recent comment on the keyboard not working makes this possibility more likely.

I further assume that your keyboard comes with a special launcher application that allows configuration of the special media keys - maybe one is configured to launch the display properties.

Try to find the keyboard program launcher in the autostart list (msconfig.exe) and disable it.

If you have an external (USB) keyboard then use this keyboard and see if the problem persists when you don't press any keys on your built-in keyboard.

Removing the keyboard entry from the Device Manager as suggested by sulasno is a good point as well. Sulasno, I assume you suggest to remove the entries for the USB peripherals only, not the entries for the USB root hub and the USB host controller, right?

Rick, please provide as much information as possible. Remote diagnosis are pretty hard, you can help a lot by providing detailed reports. If you proceed with any actions, please report about your doings and the outcome, even if it doesn't solve the problem.

If you have questions about a suggested step, please google or ask here.

welo

Sorry late reply but I am travelling.

I am not using the quick buttons to control the sound. I am using the volume controls icon showing in the tray.

I have been into the device manager and the only thing showing under keyboards are the quick start buttons. I un installed and reinstalled, but this made no difference.

Example of the problem. When the volume is muted everything works fine. When I am using Skype or the Media player the mouse pad and the keyboard does not respond at all. When I close either of these programs everything is OK again. Non of the function keys are sticking and their functions work OK.

The only common thing that i see i when the volume is turned on the Intel graphics driver screen pops up for no apparent reason. When I close this all is OK again???

I know its difficult for a remote diagnosis and I fully appreciate everyone's help.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

However, even with your new findings I can't really pinpoint the problem any further, everything that has been said still applies. I could detail my theories about why it could be a hardware problem and why a software problem or malware infection, but the result is still the same.

Try the actions I described in post #10.

I would do the virus/malware checks parallel to my other suggestions since the scans will take some time anyway - you can have the scans run overnight.

Since you are travelling and probably have limited internet access: Malwarebytes requires internet for the update, but can then run without internet connection. Hitman Pro requires an internet connection even while scanning because it uploads suspicious files to a scan cloud, Eset will not run without Internet Connection I think since it tries to update every time when run (I think), Kaspersky includes the the latest updates (and cannot be updated at all), but is unfortunately hosted on a slow server, and the download is 70MB.

Try this website for the Ubuntu Live CD or USB: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download.

Good luck.

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

However, even with your new findings I can't really pinpoint the problem any further, everything that has been said still applies. I could detail my theories about why it could be a hardware problem and why a software problem or malware infection, but the result is still the same.

Try the actions I described in post #10.

I would do the virus/malware checks parallel to my other suggestions since the scans will take some time anyway - you can have the scans run overnight.

Since you are travelling and probably have limited internet access: Malwarebytes requires internet for the update, but can then run without internet connection. Hitman Pro requires an internet connection even while scanning because it uploads suspicious files to a scan cloud, Eset will not run without Internet Connection I think since it tries to update every time when run (I think), Kaspersky includes the the latest updates (and cannot be updated at all), but is unfortunately hosted on a slow server, and the download is 70MB.

Try this website for the Ubuntu Live CD or USB: http://www.ubuntu.co...buntu/download.

Good luck.

Hi Welo,

I am back in Thailand now and running a Malware bytes full scan as we speak. I have tried all in post 10 with no success, so I hope that this scan works.

I really appreciate your input, so thanks for the help. I will let you know if the scan sorts things out.

Cheers, Rick

Sorry, the comment numbers seem to be messed up, at least on my PC!?

I meant those...

• Disable all startup programs - hit WIN-R and type 'msconfig.exe', change to system start and disable everything
  • Download a Linux LiveCD (eg Ubuntu) and verify the problem - if the problem persists, a hardware problem is verly likely.
  • Which antivirus programs did you run? I recommend Malwarebytes Antimalware, Hitman Pro, ESET Free Online Scanner or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. Run full system scans, start with Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes.

If none of the 4 antivirus scanners detects anything a malware infection is unlikely (though still possible).

Please report back with details on the results of other actions taken. If you can still observe erratic behavior with the Linux Live CD, then a hardware problem is VERY likely.

welo

Edited by welo

Sorry, the comment numbers seem to be messed up, at least on my PC!?

I meant those...

If none of the 4 antivirus scanners detects anything a malware infection is unlikely (though still possible).

Please report back with details on the results of other actions taken. If you can still observe erratic behavior with the Linux Live CD, then a hardware problem is VERY likely.

welo

Hi Welo,

The 'malbytes' found nothing at all wrong and I updated the definitions before I did the scan. I don'y know where the hel_l to go from here accept for reinstalling windows.

Cheers, Rick

I still don't know what actions you have taken so far.

If you feel uncomfortable with the steps I have outlined, then you better find somebody who can assist you in person. Your problem is not trivial, so it makes sense to bring it to a technician.

Whatever you do, make a backup of your data! You can probably ask the IT shop to do it for you, but make sure they backup all the files if you have spread them in different directories. Some IT shops will probably not bother with troubleshooting and just re-install Windows.

If you don't have anybody at hand, or you want to keep trying on your own, the only other possibility I see is to walk you through some of the steps to further track down the problem.

For instance stating Windows in Safe Mode is not too complicated. You restart your PC, the screen goes blank, and just before the Windows Start Logo appears you push F8 (you can basically press F8 repeatedly around that time). A text menu appears and you choose 'Safe Mode' with the arrow keys, then press ENTER.

Here is a more detailed description: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html#winxo

The Windows start process will look a bit different and take longer, a popup will ask you if you really want to run Safe Mode, answer yes.

Then run some tests with Skype or Media Player and your Touchpad to see if the problem persists. Report your findings.

You are running Windows XP, right?

welo

If you feel uncomfortable with the steps I have outlined, then you better find somebody who can assist you in person. Your problem is not trivial, so it makes sense to bring it to a technician.

Whatever you do, make a backup of your data! You can probably ask the IT shop to do it for you, but make sure they backup all the files if you have spread them in different directories. Some IT shops will probably not bother with troubleshooting and just re-install Windows.

If you don't have anybody at hand, or you want to keep trying on your own, the only other possibility I see is to walk you through some of the steps to further track down the problem.

For instance stating Windows in Safe Mode is not too complicated. You restart your PC, the screen goes blank, and just before the Windows Start Logo appears you push F8 (you can basically press F8 repeatedly around that time). A text menu appears and you choose 'Safe Mode' with the arrow keys, then press ENTER.

Here is a more detailed description: http://www.bleepingc...al61.html#winxo

The Windows start process will look a bit different and take longer, a popup will ask you if you really want to run Safe Mode, answer yes.

Then run some tests with Skype or Media Player and your Touchpad to see if the problem persists. Report your findings.

welo

Hi Welo,

Thanks for the advice. I am sorry that I am not making my self too clear. I will try your suggestions today and post the result on the board, maybe this will help someone in the future.

If I get no joy when following the aforementioned steps I will take the laptop to a technician as you suggested.

Thanks,

Rick

Here is a more detailed description: http://www.bleepingc...al61.html#winxo

welo

Hi Welo,

Thanks for the advice. I am sorry that I am not making my self too clear. I will try your suggestions today and post the result on the board, maybe this will help someone in the future.

If I get no joy when following the aforementioned steps I will take the laptop to a technician as you suggested.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Welo,

Just to let you know after following the steps you suggested it turned out to be the graphics driver. I could not update it at first for some reason, but eventually managed the update via the Internet. All OK now. Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Rick