Whats Up With Pop Rentals

FarangCravings

Well obviously someone is making Bazillions of Baht as they are opening shops all over town and in some cases just a few doors down from each other,

POP rentals have popped up all over town within the last 2 years and have all new bikes in each location adding up to literally Millions and millions of Baht during the same 2 years tourism and visitors has dropped dramatically in Chiang mai and Thailand so this massive expansion of POP does not make sense

Also they are opening shops just a few doors down from another POP rental less than 150ft away

Anyone else see something might be a bit dodgy here ?

I personally wont send anyone there due to a situation a mate got into renting from them but that dont change the fact that they are expanding at a rapid rate in an economy that cannot sustain an investment like that.

Can't really see what the difficulty might be for customers just because they are expanding their business rapidly.

I have transacted very satisfactorily with them and would have no hesitation in recommending their service, vehicles and charges.

But like all things, opinions included, changes do occur.

Cheers.

I have no idea what they actually do but is it dodgy? Sure!

As an englishman explained to me once, walk in cash businesses are perfect for money laundering. However, i wouldn't want to suggest that that's what pop does - i have no idea.

I have rented from them and they were fine. Good prices too.

Never had a problem with them, used them for months when my car broke down (had both bikes and cars). There are sevral offices, but they seem to share the vehicles as I have had them brough down for me. I usually go to the little office next door to Spotlight. You can do deals for longer term, and they advertise that rentals include full insurance. There are a lot of closed shops and shops that sell nicknacks (that I can't understand how they could afford to stay open selling) - so I guess some of these properties are peppercorn rents. I do know they bought a lot of bikes a couple of years ago (and again fairly recently with the 400/600 CC Kwaks), but they also still have a lot of their old(er) stock too. I guess their position gets them a lot of high earning tourists rentals which allows them to reinvest and spread further. They certainly are not the cheapest (even after deals). They will take passport or a signed copy with deposit (depending on CC). Their cars are much cheaper than Hotwheels in my experience.

Let me tell you a bit of history with Pop's motorcycle...

A few years ago, while eating my breakfast in town, I ran into this Japanese kid...He had been busted for HEROIN at his guesthouse. A local cop on an inspection found some HEROIN hidden on his bike.

He had been told by the cop that he had one day to get 100,000 baht to stay out of jail. He went to Pop's and told then the story, to which they replied, on a hidden tape recorder, "Yes, of course we know about it, that cop works for us. Have you got the 100,000 baht yet? If you want to stay out of jail, pay the 100,000 baht" I don't know what happened after that, but I did listen to the tape he had recorded..

MAYBE they don't do it anymore, but maybe they do...

If you want to be safe, let me suggest that you never do business with them again. :)

Edited by LJW

A few years ago, while eating my breakfast in town, I ran into this Japanese kid...He had been busted for HEROIN at his guesthouse. A local cop on an inspection found some HEROIN hidden on his bike.

He had been told by the cop that he had one day to get 100,000 baht to stay out of jail. He went to Pop's and told then the story, to which they replied, on a hidden tape recorder, "Yes, of course we know about it, that cop works for us. Have you got the 100,000 baht yet? If you want to stay out of jail, pay the 100,000 baht" I don't know what happened after that, but I did listen to the tape he had recorded..

If you want to be safe, let me suggest that you never do business with them again. :)

Well my mate got locked up nothing to do with drugs but something just as suspicious his bike just happened to be stolen under very suspicious circmstances and my mate thought it was them they wanted the full price of the bike to avoid jail which he did not pay and was in jail they kept his passport which eventually got him out of jail as the police for some reason let him go as it was on a day pop was closed and they could not get his passport so let him go and he was just that gone too when he was let out.

he never got his passport back

The reason I never said this story was because it could of been a 1 off but now LJW has posted another dodgy story i thougt I would post this one.

Yes.

I know of one rental where the bike was stolen the day before departure.

The bike had been on long term rent with the same guy for a few months, careful guy and no previous problems.

50,000 to get the passport back.

Could be coincidence but I doubt it.

Yes.

I know of one rental where the bike was stolen the day before departure.

The bike had been on long term rent with the same guy for a few months, careful guy and no previous problems.

50,000 to get the passport back.

Could be coincidence but I doubt it.

Seems like a pattern is emerging

The pattern has been there for at LEAST 15 years.

ALL your warnings are bang on the money. I would seriously advise everyone to have nothing to do with POP or POPPY Rent. But let's be careful. The nearer the truth - the nearer the libel, and these people are very aggressive...........!

The nearer the truth - the nearer the libel, and these people are very aggressive...........!

As it seems we have crossed or at least stepping on the boundaries of the forum rules on libel/defamation - this topic is closed.