Vale - John Ward

Old Croc

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier this year me and two others from this forum rode out to John's place and he treated us to lunch at the floating market near his house.

We chatted about our scooters and the ridiculous things about Thailand.

I will always remember John as a cranky, funny, and intelligent man.

He smoked cigarettes like they were going out of style, and I even told him he'd die in a few months at that pace.

We all gotta go sometime, and John is in a better place now.

John, we'll see you on the other side someday.

RIP,

Ted

Never met him, exchanged PM's, a lively character. Hope his moniker is retired from use with him as a tribute.

"Tho' I've belted you and flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Rudyard Kipling.

RIP mate.

Although I never met this man or read any of his posts... the rest of your folks seem to have a very high regard for this chap from the great land down under..

The simple way is to just say... R.I.P.

A more fitting way I think is to all of your who drink anything including water lift your glasses high and lets all toast this man's life the next time you all have a glass of whatever in hand..

Remember the many and always say... "I'M COMING GUNGADIN"

We all get our turn sooner or later.. but we all prefer a lot later... for sure..

Next time, I am enjoying me 31 year old dolly.. I will cry out that phrase..

We who live alone and many seem to also take the step and die alone.. really there is nothing sad about it.. Most of us have our moms and dads to witness our births.. but in most cases we all seem to outlive them and rightfully so.. My dad die alone at 88 on January 3rd 2006 in his sleep. His heart just gave out.. My mom was born on the 11th of August 1919. She goes to hospitals to care for the old folks in their 60's and 70's and 80's who are dying of whatever. She tries to inspire them with her stories of life and about the good old days that she had lived from the 1920's on..she always said she doesn't remember much about her first 6 months..but could write books about what she has done since.

She reads about 5 books a week for the past 80 years.. that is about 20,000 books and I remember her telling us kids in the 1940's and 1950's about Kipling's book and the story of Gungadin..

So, when I decide to join my parents in that great place we all think about in a land there after.. I will try to see if I can get a meet with all those I was not able to meet here..

Long Live Gungadin..

Very sad news, I never met John but exchanged PMs with him in his Udon incarnation.

When his avatar resurfaced as Gunga Din I kept meaning to get in touch but sadly never did.

RIP John, my condolences to his family and friends.

Thanks to all who have posted here. I was the one who found his body, along with another friend of Johns. He did die peacefully, a circumstance not all get to have. He loved this forum, as his many posts show. He supported me a few years ago on this forum, when many sought to bring me down. That was how I first met him. He may have had issues with many, but his heart was in the right place, and large it was. He will be sorely missed by those of us who knew him well. RIP John. I for one, will not soon forget you.

• Like 2

Earlier this year me and two others from this forum rode out to John's place and he treated us to lunch at the floating market near his house.

We chatted about our scooters and the ridiculous things about Thailand.

I will always remember John as a cranky, funny, and intelligent man.

He smoked cigarettes like they were going out of style, and I even told him he'd die in a few months at that pace.

We all gotta go sometime, and John is in a better place now.

John, we'll see you on the other side someday.

RIP,

Ted

I know John really enjoyed that day out, his first real bike ride for about 30 years. He told me about it several times and even sent the coordinates for the place you went to on the river. :)

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have posted here. I was the one who found his body, along with another friend of Johns. He did die peacefully, a circumstance not all get to have. He loved this forum, as his many posts show. He supported me a few years ago on this forum, when many sought to bring me down. That was how I first met him. He may have had issues with many, but his heart was in the right place, and large it was. He will be sorely missed by those of us who knew him well. RIP John. I for one, will not soon forget you.

I know it was a very difficult day for you on Saturday NTB.

As a friend of Johns I just want to thank you and Allan for your efforts on that day.

John had a habit of contacting many new members on the forum and offering friendship and support. This is how I got to know him five years ago(when his nik was Udon). We had been in continuous contact ever since.

As many have said he could be grumpy and abrupt at times, but his heart was in the right place.

Examples of Johns helpfullness can still be found at the top of several of the Local Area forums. As Udon, he had threads pinned showing extensive road maps of the regions. He spent considerable time compiling these maps.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Very sad to hear. Met him once, and he left an impression > I have met thousands of individuals over my 39 years of traveling the world, and I cannot say that about the many I have come across. I do remember the smile he had when we crossed the bridge a few months back on the way to have lunch, and that smile is what life is all about. Enjoy the ride

RIP

Jay

Goodbye GungaDin. Events have kept me off this board for a while, and to come back to such news is shocking. Of all the other posters out there, I have never had an issue with GungaDin and thought he was one of those that made this board special. You will be missed. Rest in peace.

Blackie was quite the character alright, the most colourful and entertaining fellow I have met in all my years here.

I write an extensive piece about him and his life in the early years here in my weekly column today. No link here cos the mods don't like it. Be warned though, it contains both the positives and the negatives and his hardly eulogy material...

Just finished reading Stickmans most complimentary column on Blackie and didnt make the connection..... :(

So sad and so sorry Udon ...keep posting wherever you are....R.I.P